• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another PTU bites the dust

Started by pmezo33, December 09, 2016, 04:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmezo33

It's a Ford/Lincoln joint dealership.

Just got back from there.  My service rep and the "technician" that worked on my car are both off today, so they said there isn't much they can do.  I think it's just the Saturday oil change crew in today. 

They basically said come back Monday and they'll order the seals for me.  Then also said that it's not their fault if it doesn't fix the problem and the PTU needs to be replaced.  I told them this is exactly how Ford tells you guys to fix the problem and that was pretty much it. 

SHOdded

Yeah not what i expect to hear from a good lincoln dealership.  Instead they should advise of possibly needing to replace the ptu once they actually take it off.  And be honest about it.  Just a bunch of gears after all.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Quote from: SHOdded on December 10, 2016, 09:44:55 AM
Yeah not what i expect to hear from a good lincoln dealership.  Instead they should advise of possibly needing to replace the ptu once they actually take it off.  And be honest about it.  Just a bunch of gears after all.

They shouldn't even have to take the PTU off.  I found that serial number in 20 minutes of looking without having to drop it.  It's their jobs to work on these cars, they should have known this.  And all they have to do is follow the directions Ford gives them.   Locate the serial number and go from there. Pretty simple stuff.

They're either dishonest or stupid.  I'm not sure which option is better of the two.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

Had mine replaced PTU part number# DG11Z7251C
2013 pp sho
Under warranty by whine
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Ryan02Stang

Always have to double check what any mechanic tells you unless you know you can trust them.

Like you said many of them are either stupid or dishonest.

Good luck!!
2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged

pmezo33

Just got off the phone with Lincoln.  I told them they got the diagnosis wrong and only the seals need to be replaced.  The guy gave me the spiel about how his technicians looked the car over and he said the PTU needs to be replaced.  I told him his guy was wrong and there's no way to diagnose that without any ptu symptoms or even looking in the thing.  There's nothing wrong with it other than a transmission leak at the compression seal.

So he basically said they'll do the seals if i wanted, but that's it probably not going to fix the problem.  I said i'll be dropping the car off later today and that's what I wanted them to do.  That's where it ended during the first call.

Maybe 10 minutes later, he called me back and apologized.  Said he looked over the TSB with the technician and I'm 100% right.  Only the seals need to be replaced and not the PTU.  He apologized about 10 times during that conversation.  I asked how they could possibly mess up something as simple as looking at a bar code and following directions and he didn't have an answer for me.  Just kept apologizing.

So that's where I am now.  Saved myself from their $1100 mistake and all they could tell me is they were sorry and they didn't know how they messed this up.

SHOdded

I will believe it when it's all over & done.

pmezo33

They've got the seals in stock, so hopefully this should be a one day thing.  That's what they told me at least.  Hopefully this problem should be all fixed by tomorrow night.  Hopefully the diagnosis is the only thing they mess up with this job.

pmezo33

Got the car back and it's running as good as new.  All fixed up.  They were kissing my ass hard too at the dealership because they know i caught them trying to sell me stuff i didn't need.  They kept apologizing over and over and thanking me for being patient with them.  Only charged me for 3 hours work and gave me a 15% discount on top of everything for the parts and labor.  Bill came out to $288.  A whole lot better than the $1900+ they wanted to charge me at first.

SHOdded

Ryan02Stang

2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged