• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Light Clunk from Passenger Side

Started by lattyd, November 25, 2016, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lattyd

Issue is now resolved. It was a binding strut mount / bearing on the passenger side.

I had both replaced when I had the shop do the front springs for my H&R's this afternoon (I did the rears myself).

No more clunk.... better handling.... great looks. I'm a happy camper now.
Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

That's music to my ears and glad it worked out for ya.  Z :beer2:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lattyd

I was so excited to get the SHO back that I forgot to ask for the hub back... Wanted to see if there was any obvious binding without load on it.... But o-well, at less than $50 per mount I guess your almost better off replacing it if you suspect it's going bad... Especially if the spring was "popping" visibly.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

6500rpm

Thanks for posting this, it's a fairly common failure on Ford vehicles in the fleet, more so on Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion. Upper bearing turn plate breaks. I've never seen one on a Taurus, can you tell me if it contains plastic in the bearing plate? That seems to be the failure point in the other models. Typically a clunk thud heard when you turn the wheel back and forth usually in the same point of rotation (As you, or an assistant turn the wheel you can typically find a sweet spot where the noise occurs).
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

lattyd

I don't remember anything obviously plastic about it, wish I would have taken some pics before having it done.

The top / plate where it mounts was metal with a rubber surround that the spring pushed up against

lattyd

Went to get an alignment and now I have a new issue lol

Drivers side rear lateral link has some play to it. Belle tire wanted $700 for parts and install (replace as pair), looks like I can get both for for $250 at Tasca.

I did verify myself once I got home as well. Small amount of play at the tie-rod looking end.. tried taking it off and re-seating it but no luck. Haven't noticed any clunking or vibrations from the rear end but I dont put alot of miles on or travel highway much.

There is always something 🙄

ZSHO

Pmezo33 had some great luck using the Motorcrafts listed below. Z

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7536.msg115013.html#msg115013

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lattyd

Thanks so much ZSHO (and pmezo33). Looks like he had no issues with the "updated" cheaper part.

Let me just say, you and the whole EBPF community are a fantastic group!

lattyd

Quick update:
Links installed and worked great (the 2013+ links). Car is now aligned and handles great with the H&R's.

I'll make a post / thread later today or tomorrow with some pics, part numbers, and tool requirements for those that may want (or need to) tackle this in the future by themselves.

ZSHO

Great to hear things went accordingly and without a hitch. :)
Looking forward to your post and initial results. Z

pmezo33

Looks like I'm late to the party.  Glad to hear my thread helped someone else out. 

Just shows how ridiculous some of these shops can be.  $700 for a job that costs about $80 and an hour or two of your time.  $40 if you do just one side like i did.

lattyd

No kidding, you saved me a bundle. $80 in parts plus $62 (with coupon) for a 4-wheel alignment which I needed anyways for the H&R's...  Can't go wrong.

I had less than 2 hours into it including me double checking Bell Tire's findings before ordering the parts.

Thanks again my EcoBoost brother

peppelepugh

hey Lattyd, on your strut mount/bearing replacement. did you run into any hiccups? My taurus is going through the same thing right now, I already ordered a new MC strut mount/bearing. Did you replace the spring lower insulator as well?  I was gonna tackle it last night but came across this video https://youtu.be/rE9VkewyFqQ?list=WL&t=175 , figured I'd ask around before I dove into her too far.
ftp://! No longer available
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

pmezo33

I don't know why the guy in that video couldn't get a wrench on the lower control arm ball joint nut.  Just use a long 24mm wrench and it's pretty easy to break loose.  Might need a little penetrating oil if it's rusted on, but you shouldn't.  Use a little force and that nut is pretty easy to break loose and remove for clearance.  You're not going to get a socket on there, but a wrench is no problem.