• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Light Clunk from Passenger Side

Started by lattyd, November 25, 2016, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peppelepugh

Posting to follow, I've been experiencing similar things. Similar noises, something feels 'loose' in the right front. But I'm not getting any vibrations/wobble/noises as if it would be ball joints or maybe a wheel hub bearing? I'm sitting at 89k miles. Wouldn't surprise me if she needs a whole new strut assembly in the right front. Left was replaced at dealership around 78k miles.
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

ZSHO

I'm still leaning on a (Strut assembly).....Suspension code E applies to the PP. Z     http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2011/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/struts-and-components-scat

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lattyd

Thanks for the link ZSHO, maybe after Christmas shopping is done I'll purchase a new assembly and go that route. I did toss in a new sway bar link but that didn't do it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

lattyd

Actually those are pretty reasonably priced :). Maybe just wait till next pay day haha

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

derfdog15

I am pretty sure this is not the case, however, I would inspect the coil spring on the side the noise is coming from.

On my 04 F150, which had some rust issues, and was taken offroad, I cracked a coil spring, and actually had about one and a half coils, at the bottom, split off and resting inside the remainder of the coil.

This caused significant noise and loss in ride quality however.

Still something that I would check, as a visual inspection will let you know for sure.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

lattyd

Yeah I've checked the spring and reefed on it pretty good to see if I could cause it to make any noise but nothing. Thanks for the heads up though!

ZSHO

Here is a video for ya and hope you can hear the noise and don't want to see you throw away your $$$ at random parts.LMK what you think,thanks. Z   ! No longer available

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lattyd

Thanks for the video ZSHO - the noise is a bit different. It looks like the noise in the video could only be repeated while moving but when they parked it was silent. Mine is kind of the opposite where i hear it parked / low speeds but it is silent once i get moving 10+ mph.

I'm hoping to get some more time next weekend to fiddle with a few things. If I can get my brother to help me maybe I can grab a few things while he turns the wheel and see if I feel the noise on anything in particular.

SHOdded

Do you have access to ChassisEars or a similar tool?  Those are a big help in such matters.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on November 29, 2016, 10:20:48 AM
Do you have access to ChassisEars or a similar tool?  Those are a big help in such matters.
True indeed,nice stethoscope will be ideal to pinpoint the noise.  Z

lattyd

My dad was a mechanic, I'm sure he has something similar or that worked for him. Now if only I could teach my 1 year old to turn the steering wheel on request haha

I'll see what I can get ahold of this weekend. Thanks again guys, appreciate all the suggestions!

lattyd

Sorry for the late response on this one guys. Crazy project at work for the last few months.

The issue appears to be the Strut bearing in the mount. You can see when the wheel is turned that it must not be spinning and the spring "pops" instead of gently moving like the other one.

SHOdded

If replacing, use only Motorcraft.  They will prove to be the best.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I would make certain to verify the correct (suspension code) that apply's to your vehicle as mentioned above (CODE E) is for the (PP ONLY) and should apply to your vehicle AFAIK. 
I would log into www.fordparts.com  and enter your vin # to verify the correct code,could be AB OR C OR D, but unfortunately there are so many codes for that particular year which makes it a bit confusing..
Best of luck on a permanent fix. Z  :)
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2011/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/struts-and-components-scat

lattyd

Yup, I already have the motorcraft mount. Just need to get time to get it done