• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Light Clunk from Passenger Side

Started by lattyd, November 25, 2016, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lattyd

Wondering if anyone's SHO has had an issue similar to this. I've searched around on a few other forums and google in general and like many suspension noises the list of causes can be a mile long.

When turning my steering wheel at a stop or very low speeds it makes a subtle dampened clunk / thud sound. The noise only happens when turning the steering wheel to the left or right of the direct center point and repeats when completing a full rotation (when going lock to lock it will make the noise twice - once each time it passes the center point of the steering wheel position).

The noise seems to come from the passenger side wheel / strut / suspension area and can be lightly felt in the steering wheel. The car does not exhibit any strange handling characteristics when in motion and the noise seems to disappear when driving above 10 MPH (however it may just be i cannot hear it any longer).

The noise has been going on for a while but I haven't had time to really dig into it yet. I did replace the tie-rod ends with Moog ones and it has fairly fresh brakes up front (but made the noise prior to replacing either of those).

I was thinking possible strut bearing? The whole only occurring when coming off-center really throws me. Any thoughts?

Thanks Guys!
Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

L1gerZero

2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0 AWD

panther427

Check the sway bar bushings. Too they replace mine under warranty. It was similar to your problem. But its been a while since that happened
2013 SHO

ZSHO

Strut tower assembly bolt needs to be re-torqued to oem specs....BTW not a big fan of those problem solvers and how many miles on your SHO ? Depending on the mileage might need to change the (Strut assembly).  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Tie rod end links is also a possibility.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lattyd

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll see what I can check out this weekend since I finally got a bit of time off.

Car has around 63,000 on her

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

X2 best of luck on a viable solution. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lattyd

So I put the car up after the kiddo went down for her nap. Verified the end links and LCA bushings looked okay. Rear one on the LCA maybe a little warn but didn't look any different than the drivers side. I also put a socket on the strut and verified it spun without binding and noise.

With the front end up off the ground I cannot duplicate the noise. I also cannot duplicate it with pressure put on the suspension assembly with a jack and then turning the wheel...

Possible it could be the sway bar end links and it only causes noise with full load on both sides of the car.

I didn't have time to check much else before she woke.

Maybe I'll look into the price of the sway bar links and give that a shot.

Appreciate all the help fellas

ZSHO

I forgot to ask if you feel any such vibrations while driving? any codes set? sometimes the weather contributes to these odd noises..sorry for all the questions.  Z

SHOdded

lattyd

Nah, no vibrations and doesn't seem to be any worse or better now that it's gotten cold out.  I've done front and rear brakes after the noise started happening so it shouldn't be that. That was one of my first thoughts though, a sloppy pad or rotor.

lattyd

I was able to pick up a pair of new sway bar end links for around $40 so I figure it's worth a shot and if that's not it I'll have peace of mind for the future.

The noise definitely sounds like a hollow metal sound that is dampened... So maybe those bushings on the link of binding and then releasing causing the sway bar to "thunk".... We'll see haha

ZSHO

Definitely post a video of the noise if you have a chance. LMK i'll post it for ya.  Z

lattyd

! No longer available                       I dunno if you can hear it or not... I can't from my phone. Also please ignore that loud noise from my hands on the steering wheel, lol