• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

XSport w/PPE Catted Downpipes + Corsa/Borla Exhaust??

Started by MiWiAu, November 20, 2016, 11:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Does anyone with an XSport have the PPE catted downpipes with either the Borla or LME Thunderstorm/Corsa exhaust?

It looks like the LME Thunderstorm/Corsa is the only XSport catback that has 2.5" pipes, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $400-500 over any of the other systems. From what I've read on here, there aren't much in the way of gains for the catback - mostly just for sound.

I'd like some better sound from my exhaust, but I also want to make sure I don't end up with a drone monster.

Can someone with a catback AND PPE downpipes comment on cabin sound/drone (or hopefully lack thereof)?

Thanks!
2013 XSport

hawkeye93

I do not recommend the PPE catted/Corsa combination.  I had it on my 2015 XSport for 5 days, sounded terrible.  LOTS of rasp, sounded like a crappy Civic.  Guy at Livernois said that the catted PPE downpipes were the problem.  Supposedly the catback works fine with the stock downpipes or LMS downpipes, but not PPE or Stainless Works.

Read about my experience at http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6307.0.html.  Similar experience can be found on SHO with Stainless Works DPs and Corsa catback.  Search YouTube for "Rasp From Hell".

I still have my Corsa catback; it's currently for sale on Craigslist.  I'm trying to avoid shipping it for the time being, due to its size.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

Randy Stinchcomb

If it doesn't sell and you can ship to MD, I might be interested

MiWiAu

Quote from: hawkeye93 on November 21, 2016, 08:59:03 AM
I do not recommend the PPE catted/Corsa combination.  I had it on my 2015 XSport for 5 days, sounded terrible.  LOTS of rasp, sounded like a crappy Civic.  Guy at Livernois said that the catted PPE downpipes were the problem.  Supposedly the catback works fine with the stock downpipes or LMS downpipes, but not PPE or Stainless Works.

Damn, thanks for the heads up, hawkeye. That's a bummer. :(

I'll check out your suggested reading. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

EcoPowerParts

I was going to say DON'T DO IT, everyone that has done it has not liked it and the Xsport/Flex = drone machine vs the SHO.
I love the ecoboost but man you really can't make it sound great, the best I've heard it was that swap on GMG but that was straight header and no pipe.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

MiWiAu

Thanks, Mike. Looks like I'll be crossing the cat back off my Christmas list. ;)

2013 XSport

FoMoCoSHO

Muffler delete is best sounding and cheapest option IMHO, at least on the SHO.

derfdog15

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 23, 2016, 11:31:41 AM

Definitely sounds nice, but it has a pretty nasty drone IMO.

I repalced OEM with Summit Race, which also have some drone, but a nice growl, and deep muscle car sound.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on November 23, 2016, 01:58:18 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 23, 2016, 11:31:41 AM

Definitely sounds nice, but it has a pretty nasty drone IMO.

I repalced OEM with Summit Race, which also have some drone, but a nice growl, and deep muscle car sound.
Good to know....

MiWiAu

Yeah, I read somewhere on these forums that someone with a SHO put the back seats down and the drone got much worse, so I'm guessing most of the bearable SHO solutions may not work on the Explorer. Unfortunately, I don't have a bottomless budget to experiment.

2013 XSport

FoMoCoSHO

A little corn + AJPturbo + 18 psi + 26 degrees of advance at WOT will make all of your bolt on desires dissipate pretty quickly.

Besides the tune and 3 bar I'm stock down to the paper filter.

derfdog15

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 23, 2016, 03:51:28 PM
A little corn + AJPturbo + 18 psi + 26 degrees of advance at WOT will make all of your bolt on desires dissipate pretty quickly.

I bet thats a car V8s get mad at. Atleast on mine it sounds like theres something under the hood, but I whole heartedly agree, E20 tune, 15 PSI, and ~20-22 degrees and I could care less what it sounds like cause I'm focused on staying on the road.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on November 23, 2016, 03:55:00 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 23, 2016, 03:51:28 PM

I bet thats a car V8s get mad at. Atleast on mine it sounds like theres something under the hood, but I whole heartedly agree, E20 tune, 15 PSI, and ~20-22 degrees and I could care less what it sounds like cause I'm focused on staying on the road.
The silence makes it even more humiliating, lol...

It's also nice not being hassled about any bolt ons when there are warranty issues.

Nobody has a clue.

14SHOCAR

I'd like to add as I was returning my car to stock to sell it.... I found that I LOVED the Corsa much more with the stock airbox. I didn't feel any power loss but it just made the car sound better. Even the sales guy at the dealership said that the car sounded awesome with the exhaust (my stock airbox was on by then -- stock tune).
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust