• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ptu modding...

Started by Gjkrisa, November 11, 2016, 12:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gjkrisa

First question is what is the recommended oil weight for the ptu may try out some brands but need to see you what mine looks like after 8k miles.

Second is the ptu cooler connected to the transmission is it really that super small cool in front of the condenser but in cable says AC?

So finally snow has hit Fairbanks I take the car out do some pretty good drifting after about 3 minutes car didn't complain so I decided to get the car in a full 360 see how long till it complains it was a good 30 seconds till it said service awd... Forgot to data log to see what temps goto to :(
So I shut down the car and started it back up right away and start data logging got this car back in full 360 did it for maybe a minute car didn't complain so I parked it and went shopping turned out the store was open use to not open that early I saw temps steady 168.

So a few days later it snows more drive buy a big lot and go full throttle drifting to make a wide drift around the only poll in the middle torque lost connection and the car started complaining awd disabled so I turn car off back on still off turn it off for a few seconds try to get torque connected still won't turn car on finally awd back so I go at it again didn't even get half way thru a small drift around the pole and it shuts down awd I'm number park turn car off for another minute torque still won't connect so I drive away disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

Gjkrisa

Found the thread about changing ptu fluid and that it's stupid water cooled  and oil is 75w-150 and that motor craft is way to light for what it's supposed to be I've ran into this using Oreillys oil once never use a cheap oil again ....

AJP turbo

The liquid cooled PTU's do pretty well at staying cool....And I think you mean 75w-140

Don't think you will find anything thicker and not sure you would want to.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Gjkrisa

Thanks yea 140... Just try to understand the car more in winter it's impossible to keep me from drifting full traction off and sport shift work pretty good usually able to keep the revs so it stays in second gear and the car is forgiving not to up shift if I hit the rev limit a little.

Trying to make sure I can keep the temps below 200 I think that's when the car screams and that's when most transmission oils start to break down. At 0f it seemed even without proper airflow it got no higher than 186 but at 16f and with lots of air and plowing thru snow the car was mad although couldn't log what the temps was

AJP turbo

200 is not bad for a quality synthetic gear oil.

Even with advancetrac off the system thinks there is something wrong when you are going crazy drifting...It's in the programming and operation I think...Even my 350Z with traction control off would complain and send dash lights to tell me something was wrong.

I put my new truck on my lift the other day to flush fluids and had advancetrac off and ran it through the gears to get the trans fluid flowing and warmed up and I got all kind of messages on the dash about advancetrac errors and service 4wd...It did not like the rear wheels spinning and not the fronts.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 11, 2016, 02:24:57 AM

I put my new truck on my lift the other day to flush fluids and had advancetrac off and ran it through the gears to get the trans fluid flowing and warmed up and I got all kind of messages on the dash about advancetrac errors and service 4wd...It did not like the rear wheels spinning and not the fronts.

Yeah, I think the AWD throws fits if it senses too much of a mis-match in wheel speeds. When I tried to run my XSport on a non-linked Dynojet dyno, it was acting all sorts of goofy. Stability control was still trying to engage above 20MPH, even though TC was off.

Moved to a linked Mustang dyno and had zero issues.
2013 XSport