• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Transmission drain and fill

Started by cnatra, November 12, 2016, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnatra

Anyone have some good pics (or how to thread) of a SHO transmission drain and fill ?

Thanks
2015 SHO PP

18SHO

Quote from: cnatra on November 12, 2016, 10:06:47 PM

Anyone have some good pics (or how to thread) of a SHO transmission drain and fill ?

Thanks

X2 also how many quarts to fill?
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

ZSHO

I had the Ford dealer perform a Trans flush which they hook the trans flush machine up to it and do a flush through the dip stick. It will still use 10 qts of fluid.
I believe it was $99.00 for this procedure IIRC! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Except maybe for spark plug specs and coolant in use, the specs should be the same for all gen 4/5 SHOs

Capacities & specifications attached for 2015 MY

11.6 quarts trans fluid capacity
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BlueSHO

I think he was asking about a drain and fill which I believe is about 6 quarts of Ford LV trans fluid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SM105K

Quote from: cnatra on November 12, 2016, 10:06:47 PM

Thanks

If you are doing it yourself.  Pull the plug and drain the fluid.  Measure to see how much comes out.  Then add that back in with fresh fluid.

Should take you doing this 5 times to yield a 90% new fluid mix within the trans.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on March 24, 2019, 12:28:08 PM
I had the Ford dealer perform a Trans flush which they hook the trans flush machine up to it and do a flush through the dip stick. It will still use 10 qts of fluid.

I thought flushes were not recommended? By the time you get done buying 18 quarts of fluid, doing three drain and fills, its cheaper to have a shop do the flush...

SHOdded

Flush aka fluid exchange :)  Ya, flush needs to be gone from the modern transmission vocabulary.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on March 25, 2019, 09:57:38 AM

I thought flushes were not recommended? By the time you get done buying 18 quarts of fluid, doing three drain and fills, its cheaper to have a shop do the flush...

Even doing the flush (which isn't recommended) only removes 10 out of the 18 quarts.  Yeah doing the exchange over a period of time is more expensive, and yields more fluid exchange while not being as abrasive on the internal parts of the trans.  I don't want a vac hose being rooted around my trans personally.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

I have considered adding a drain and fill on the trans to my cars oil change cycle... oil change every 3K is performed..

Last time I had a fluid exchange done, my trans was not happy. Ended up draining and filling several times with the correct motorcraft fluid as the OEE from the shop didn't perform well.

ZSHO

Quote from: sm105k on March 25, 2019, 11:04:15 AM

Even doing the flush (which isn't recommended) only removes 10 out of the 18 quarts.  Yeah doing the exchange over a period of time is more expensive, and yields more fluid exchange while not being as abrasive on the internal parts of the trans.  I don't want a vac hose being rooted around my trans personally.
No need to get Technical! Lol. Z   :D
Total of 10 Quarts were used. 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on March 25, 2019, 11:22:39 AM

I used 10 quarts Total.

I am "special" and really gun shy about my trans.  I will be doing the trans fluid exchange (5 out, 5 in) every 3k miles along with my oil change.  Completely overkill yes, but overkill is good. 

nickstewartroc

Just as a heads up for anyone trying to get it "flushed" at the dealer, the three I called in my area all said they would "flush" it, and when prodded more, it was that it would be a drain and fill. I know dealers vary, but wanted to make sure the info was out there.
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

ZSHO

FWIW- Here is the actual response from the Ford dealer. We cannot do an actual Trans Flush, what we do is hook the trans flush machine up to it and do a flush through the dip stick. It will still use 10 qts of fluid to do the service. Dunno!
I apologize for the confusion. Z

BlueSHO

Quote from: sm105k on March 25, 2019, 11:37:54 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on March 25, 2019, 11:22:39 AM

I used 10 quarts Total.

I am "special" and really gun shy about my trans.  I will be doing the trans fluid exchange (5 out, 5 in) every 3k miles along with my oil change.  Completely overkill yes, but overkill is good.
So is the drain and fill 5 or 6 quarts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra