• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Damn - PTU puking again thru the vent...

Started by MileHighV, October 26, 2016, 12:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Yup....look at page 7 from above post and also needs to be tightened at 66 lbs of torque.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

The PTU compression seal, Z?  I think the part number is 7T4Z-7086-A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-4WD-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-POWER-TAKE-OFF-CASE-COMPRESSION-SEAL-7T4Z-7086-A-/331818572335

Seal / Gasket
Outboard, Compression Seal

Pic from a Taurus X article on intermediate shaft seal replacement
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

Here's a pic of mine.  Z   

MileHighV

Got the call from the dealer on Wednesday - PTU was leaking and will be replaced under powertrain warranty.
I should have it back Thursday.

Not sure if it was leaking at a seal, or thru the vent.
Hopefully I can get more info when I pick it up tomorrow.

2013 Sterling Grey SHO w/ Performance Pack
PPE Catted Downpipes, Livernois 93 tune, 3 bar MAP
EvenFlow 160º T-stat, Eibach Rear Springs, 20% tint
355hp @ wheels (444hp @ crank)

SHOdded

:thumb:  Ask them if they inspected the fluid level before installing the new PTU, they are required to do so.  Since you are in CO, I am wondering if there is an issue at higher elevations with these units.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MileHighV

It is possible that the lower atmospheric has an effect.  I have recently moved to Tennessee (last month), so maybe the problems will go away.

I have also asked that they install the longer vent line, although I am not sure that they will.

I will report back later today, if they get it done today (hopefully).

MileHighV

Sorry for the late reply - busy week/weekend.

Car is back with a new PTU (#3!!) - I have been just doing normal driving (bone stock) this last week and it seems to be running well (hard shifts/touchy throttle response, but I am assuming that they flashed CPU).  Seemed to improve through the week.
They did NOT run the longer PTU vent line, even though the service writer said that they were going to. 
It this hard to do by yourself?  ETA:  Found the How-to for the extended vent line - will crawl under to see how difficult this is. 

I finally got under it to convert back to tuned, and things looked fairly good, aside from the not great cleanup underneath.  Changed back to the PPE downpipes, and will be updating the tune to version 10 tomorrow (had version 8 ).  I thought I was gonna snap the flange bolts after getting it back from the dealer - I used Anti-sieze on 'em when I put the PPE's back on.  Hopefully better next time!

I am really looking forward to finally getting to use the 93 octane tune (CO only had 91 octane due to elevation). 

*Fingers crossed that this PTU will last* - Definitely changing fluid more often!
Plan to change fluid in the RDU soon, too!

SHOdded

Thanks for the update, great to have a new PTU :)  too bad they did not run the longer vent, I'd go back and remind them, gently.  No idea on installation difficulty.

lattyd

The vent install isn't too bad of a DIY if you have stands and a garage to work in - which based on your swaps of the downpipes I assume you do. But I second SHOdded's recommendation to persuade the dealer to do it

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

MileHighV

Lattyd,
In your how-to, you show a small mushroom shaped piece with a cross on top - Is that the vent for '11s?

Mine ('13) has a vent tube,  but it is only long enough to get to ~ halfway up the block. 

You can see the light shining off of the cap in the center of this pic.  Kinda blurry...
That's peering down between the hoses on the top of the engine to the left of the brake reservoir.

ETA:  Has anyone modified the mid-vent (what I seem to have) to the longer vent tied to the brake reservoir?  Can I essentially just change out the hose?  Worth it?

lattyd

Yeah, that little cap with the cross on it was the vent on my 11, the updated one I installed comes all the way up to the brake reservoir.

I'm not sure if there is any benefit  vs your set up though since the cap on yours looks like the updated one I have.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake