• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

issues after downpipe install

Started by 2011VegasSHO, November 11, 2016, 06:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2011VegasSHO

I recently installed a set of catted downpipes and updated my tune to support thew downpipes, and I am now having issues with the car running odd at high rpm under full throttle and then going into limp mode and throwing a code.  the code goes away after a minute and the car runs fine after that.

It is an unleashed tune.  before the downpipes I ran an unleashed 91 tune, with a 3 bar map.  it was only after the downpipes and the unleashed downpipe tune I started having this issue.  Any ideas??
2011 Performance Package
3 bar map
CAI
catted downpipes
Unleashed Performance tune

StealBlueSho

Which code? Maybe one of the Widebands got damaged?

You send a data log to Torrie? You can always load the old tune and see if the problem goes away... You can run the old tune with the new pipes..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Whose downpipes did you install?  And like StealBlue suggested, inspect the o2s carefully.  Easy to damage them during the install.  Some even go so far as to disconnect the battery during to prevent that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Definitely agree and check and inspect for any pinched 02 sensor wires.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

If you can read data logs, use your sct device to monitor lambase and lambda on bank 1 and 2... They should be very similar to each other. If one of the lambda readings is WAY off of lambase or not reading you can identify if the Wideband is working correctly. Sometimes shop heat them up to get them out of the stock pipes which can damage them. It may not be obvious via visual inspection.

I HIGHLY recommend loading a good known tune to see if the issue follows a different tune. It's quick, easy, and could potentially save you a lot of time troubleshooting sensors.

Based on the description of going into limp mode it's not the sensors down stream of the cats.

Good luck!!!

ZSHO

I'm hoping its NOT the SW DP!!!!.where the front front 02 sensor bung needs to be modified for proper fitment.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on November 12, 2016, 07:32:20 AM
I'm hoping its NOT the SW DP!!!!. Z
True, but those usually only throw catalyst inefficiency codes P0430 and P0420 which shouldn't result in limp mode.

I'm guessing either the new the tune is dorked up, or one of the widebands is not reporting correctly...

I have read that if there is an exhaust leak around widebands that could throw off the AFR reading as well...

If the OP responds with the code it could be narrowed down further.

AJP turbo

Yeah it only takes a little leak to throw the readings off...my stainless works pipes cracked and my trims were off on the bank that the cracked pipe was on....any new sw pipes would have the correct bung...they gave me a new pair and relocated the front pipe o2 bung when they re installed my pipes
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

2011VegasSHO

I appreciate all the replies and suggestions.   I was just under it today doing an oil change and no visible kinks or damage to o2 sensor wires or sensor themselves  (didn't remove to check the inside though)  I did reload pre downpipe tune and problem did seem to go away but triggered the insufficient 02 stream code on both banks, so I reloaded the downpipe tune.  The car runs fine as long as I don't get into WOT.  (But wheres the fun in that)  As far as data logging I'm kind of new to the game and haven't really messed to much with that.  Might have to give it a try though.  When it goes into limp mode it only last a few minutes, on one occasion I was able to plug in while the cel was still on but it didn't register a code and went away after restart.
2011 Performance Package
3 bar map
CAI
catted downpipes

2011VegasSHO

I bought the dps from a friend secondhand and I've been told they are the unleashed performance dps
2011 Performance Package
3 bar map
CAI
catted downpipes

StealBlueSho

Its the tune if it went away when you loaded the old tune. Talk to Torrie. Having an issue under WOT like that is not good if it's tune related. My guess is your throttle is closing up due to fuel trims...

The inefficiency codes won't hurt, just annoying. I would get a data log to Torrie ASAP with the existing tune, or just tell him and run the old tune until you get a new one.

Good luck!!!