• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Possible Custom FMIC for SHO/transverse Ecoboost

Started by derfdog15, November 04, 2016, 12:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Hey guys,

I know everyone wants a custom FMIC for these cars. I have been working with AJP for tuning, and the limitations of the stock intercooler with no meth are definitely presenting themselves with regards to boost. Granted, I am on the stock turbos as well, so those add a bit of limitation.

However, I am currently in contract with a custom fab shop, here is their recent work: https://www.fathousefab.com/recent-work/

I will update once I hear if they are willing to fab something up for me, at a reasonable price, and hopefully if they would be willing to make a bolt-on like kit for the rest of you guys. I have asked about both, and will also be doing a run on the rollers before and after if they take the project on. If this gets further, I will hopefully be able to get a baseline run with my current tune(or tune at that current time), a run after the FMIC with the same tune, and then possibly a run with a more aggressive tune.

Anyways, Ecoboosters, wish me luck, and hopefully this will be a good opportunity that will pan out.

While I'm posting, are there any members with a Flex/other similar set-up in the Indianapolis, IN area that would be willing to guinea pig this as well?

Update: Heard Back from them

Fred,

We certainly can build you a custom intercooler.  Typicall custom intercoolers start around $1200 plus labor of installing.

We can do before and after dyno pulls as well.  You get 3 pulls for $100, before and after would be $200 total.

Ben

A little more than I'm looking to spend at this exact moment, but definitely something I am willing to do in the near future, maybe a nice winter project... (need to get the the Mustang so I have something to drive while the SHO is down).

Further Update: Heard Back from them regarding group buy.

After further talking to them, they would be willing to work on a group by type scenario, if 10+ People are interested. The discount would not be known at the start because they are unsure what the work would be for this project, but it is there. I would more than happy to orchestrate this, if the interest is there.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

FearlessAZ

Never heard of them but they sure do some pretty work
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

derfdog15

Quote from: FearlessAZ on November 04, 2016, 12:58:34 PM
Never heard of them but they sure do some pretty work

I asked around, and everyone that I have spoken to with experience with them has nothing but positive comments. And they aren't super far out from me, so definitely exciting. Hopefully I hear back in a reasonable time frame.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

derfdog15

Updated the original post with their response, definitely some hope!

SHOdded

I think their price is likely to be competitive with the very rare offerings that are/might be currently available.  Have you talked to Black Market Racing to determine a price range?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Quote from: SHOdded on November 04, 2016, 01:47:48 PM
I think their price is likely to be competitive with the very rare offerings that are/might be currently available.  Have you talked to Black Market Racing to determine a price range?

I have not spoken to anyone else, as I recall the black market racing kit required removal of a few components/removal of bumper support.

This would be pursued with a bolt-on type fitment. I did hear back regarding if they would be willing to make a run of them. They stated that I could certainly purchase a run from them and re-sell my self, however, since they are not in the SHO/Ecoboost market they would not offer them for sale themselves.

However, if these was interest in a group buy type scenario that would be helpful for me as well, as it would hopefully allow me to offset the fab/install costs

J-Will

sounds good, but we've had this pop up a few times. 
driver assist package models have sensors in the front that might interfere with a larger cooler.  If you leave us suckers out, then you're shaving off even more of a small market
BMR has one, but nobody knows if it actually does anything. During the dyno runs, perhaps take temp readings?

The general consensus seems to be that there just isnt enough room to go larger.  Hopefully someone cracks the code, because meth isnt for everyone.  And meth users would still want this.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

derfdog15

Quote from: J-Will on November 04, 2016, 02:57:20 PM
sounds good, but we've had this pop up a few times. 
driver assist package models have sensors in the front that might interfere with a larger cooler.  If you leave us suckers out, then you're shaving off even more of a small market
BMR has one, but nobody knows if it actually does anything. During the dyno runs, perhaps take temp readings?

The general consensus seems to be that there just isnt enough room to go larger.  Hopefully someone cracks the code, because meth isnt for everyone.  And meth users would still want this.

Yeah I have seen it crop up a few times in the past, and did actually reach out to BMR as well. They did their set-up as a one-off and the sales rep couldn't answer all of my questions since he wasn't there when it was done, and most of their staff is at SEMA currently.

I would definitely take temp readings, the reason I am looking into this, is that I am currently pretty much at a max for boost, due to the IAT2 temps that I am seeing. This seems to be a pretty consistent problem. I have a feeling that something not as tall as the typical FMIC, would be able to tuck in pretty well and work as needed. I have a PP with all available options, except for moonroof and  driver assist. As such, I would have no clue if this would work for those with driver assist, and probably would have no real way of finding out, without another guinea pig.

As for meth, I totally agree. Meth is the very last mod on my list of mods, and the only one that I would not be comfortable DDing on. That's not to say it isn't reliable, I just am not comfortable setting up a tune to expect it, and then taking a long trip, with spirited driving, and knowing that I may risk running the tank dry and causing some harm somewhere. I would be a lot more likely to couple meth with a FMIC for a track only type set-up, as I could run a DD tune and still push the car harder than with the stock FMIC.

I believe there are two IAT sensors on the car, one pre and one post of the intercooler. if I am correct on this, those would be the sensors to log during dyno runs. Maybe someone like AJP or ZSHO can chime in on factory temperature monitoring. I know AJP would like to see an intercooler, as we spoke about it a bit after my last set of logs for him.

Whether this is something that others are interested, I will more than likely pursue it down the road (but per their recommendation, will want to get all my other mods done prior to - so I still need to install my downpipes, get EcoPowerParts hot pipes and install those, and do ATP turbos).

This may not happen this winter, but if there is enough interest from people on this, I could possibly expedite my mods/timeframe. I currently have 10,5xx on the car, DD it, and it is only 11 months and 3 days old (Build date was 12/1/15). As such, I am slightly hesitant to do the ATP turbos with it having so much time left on powertrain warranty. Although I know the tune may have cast all warranty aside anyways. Granted the 3.5 Ecoboost is a pretty stout and robust platform, so I should be able to push it no problems. Car already has ~20 drag passes on it (3 the first night out, ~17 the second night out), and that will continue to grow as well.

FoMoCoSHO

derfdog15

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 04, 2016, 10:03:25 PM
I'm in for any group buy.

Definitely glad to hear, if we can round up the people, this may be jump the list as something I do before the upgraded turbos/hotpipes.

Either way though, I'll let you know once I get ready to do it, even if it is a bit down the road, and if you are still interested we can get something worked out so that you end up with an upgrade regardless.

fstaslp

I have used these Guys in the past on my Volvo for a custom downpipe.  Ben is great to work with.  I will be headed down for some dump runs and I will ask him what his thoughts are while looking at my car. 

derfdog15

Quote from: fstaslp on January 05, 2017, 01:11:28 PM
I have used these Guys in the past on my Volvo for a custom downpipe.  Ben is great to work with.  I will be headed down for some dump runs and I will ask him what his thoughts are while looking at my car.

Sounds perfect to me, saves me a trip to Indy. I plan to put my car on their dyno as well for a before and after of the intercooler once its time.

J-Will

This sounds great! I think I'm in line with your thinking- meth is at a later date. A FMIC and hopefully soon a fuel pump that provides increased flow would be ideal before taking on meth.

I'd love to jump in the group buy, but frankly I'm hesitant. I have a the driver assist package and understand that you complicate matters. I would have to see the final product, see the before/ after results, and understand the install process prior to committing.

You are potentially taking on a financial burdon on behalf of a lot of us, and that is commendable. I have high hopes for this project, that admittedly push it into the realm of almost impossible to achieve. Good luck with this, and I really do hope it pans out well. I will certainly be following your updates.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap