• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 SHO died - Questioning Dealer Diag

Started by 84lsvette, November 01, 2016, 10:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Other maintenance items1
Every 20000 miles    Replace cabin air filter (if equipped).
(32000 km)
Every 30000 miles    Replace climate-controlled (heated and cooled) seat filter2.  Replace engine air filter.
(48000 km)
At 100000 miles    Change engine coolant.3
(160000 km)
Every 100000 miles    Replace spark plugs.  Inspect accessory drive belt(s).4
(160000 km)
Every 150000 miles    Change automatic transmission fluid.  Replace accessory drive belt(s) if not replaced within the last 100000 miles (160000 km).
(240000 km)

1These maintenance items can be performed within 3000 miles (4800 kilometers) of the last oil change. Do not exceed the designated distance for the interval.
2If your vehicle has climate-controlled (heated and cooled) seats.
3Initial replacement at six years or 100000 miles (160000 kilometers), then every three years or 50000 miles (80000 kilometers).
4After initial inspection, inspect every other oil change until replaced.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Thanks SHOdded.  I stand corrected.  With how quick it changes color (I know Ford says it's fine) I wouldn't run it that long.  But, then again, I also don't consider the PTU fluid to be lifetime.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I do feel these cars are maintenance hogs.

OP, let us know what you find and good luck with the repair.  Hope it's not major.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

StealBlueSho

Quote from: sholxgt on November 02, 2016, 11:09:11 PM

Ha! Welcome to owning a SHO.. every SHO in the family has been a high maintenance vehicle since 1989 lol... At least the Gen 4 can be taken to any dealership..

pmezo33

Quote from: sholxgt on November 02, 2016, 10:56:21 PM
How many times has the coolant been changed?  I believe Ford calls for 30,000 mile intervals.  These cars are maintenance hogs.  Can't treat them like a normal car and just run them.  They need regular fluid changes with OEM or better stuff.

Ford calls for changes at 105k and 150k.  At least for 2010's.

sholxgt

Quote from: StealBlueSho on November 02, 2016, 11:17:26 PM

Quote from: sholxgt on November 02, 2016, 11:09:11 PM

Ha! Welcome to owning a SHO.. every SHO in the family has been a high maintenance vehicle since 1989 lol... At least the Gen 4 can be taken to any dealership..

So true!  Wasn't easy to find a shop to do the valve adjustment on my '89 back in '92. 

With heavy maintenance, that car still ran like new at 232,xxx miles.  Not sure how long the motor would have gone since that's when the pin walked out of the differential and grenaded the transmission.  Key to those cars and, I feel these, is following a strict routine of maintenance above what the factory calls for.

That's not my standard answer for all cars.  Wife's Honda has 176,000 miles.  We bought it new and have followed the suggested maintenance and the car has been trouble free.  I just wouldn't count on that to happen with a SHO.

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

StealBlueSho

I remember having to drive with my Dad  for a couple hours in GA back around the same time 92 just to find someone to replace the clutch.. which happened A LOT lol... Plus the 60ks....and Everything else...

It would have just been icing on the cake if these were 3.5 Yamaha V6s with twin turbos!!!! Image the sound they would make when the secondarys opened up under boost?  Oh.. and a manual... :-) but I am sure the maintenance would be a nightmare!

84lsvette

So another thing I gathered from reading last night is that the early ecoboosts had a weaker chain that was brought over from the N/A version and upgraded in 2011 to a beefier double wide design. I suppose when I throw a new engine in it I'll put a new pump and beefier chain in it.

SHOdded

Where did you hear that?  First I've heard ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 84lsvette on November 03, 2016, 08:04:33 AM
So another thing I gathered from reading last night is that the early ecoboosts had a weaker chain that was brought over from the N/A version and upgraded in 2011 to a beefier double wide design. I suppose when I throw a new engine in it I'll put a new pump and beefier chain in it.
Never heard that one...

ZSHO

I know the newer F-150's have an updated chain.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Quote from: ZSHO on November 03, 2016, 03:55:25 PM
I know the newer F-150's have an updated chain.  Z
That is true!  No such update for the transverse engines.  We do have a couple cases where the timing chain has had to be replaced, so it's not like the problem doesn't exist.