• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What oil does everyone use?

Started by FracaSHO, July 23, 2013, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geswek

I prefer vegetable; it doesn't allow food to burn to quickly and it has a really great taste!

DJE624

Mark, I'm glad you said that.  I kept thinkin' "Don't I use 5W30?" 

breeves002

Wonder why they changed the spec to 5w-30? Did they change the motor at all for the 2011 MY?
SHO Lover and Advanced Diagnostics Enthusiast
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - 3.5L N/A Duratec

DJE624

I don't think they changed the motor. But, mine came new with syn blend.  We used to use 5W30 syn in cars that called for 5W20.  They might have changed oil specs. 

breeves002

Interesting. I feel like you need to stick with the recommended weight so the VCT works correctly.

adelsin

I have the prem maintainance plan, so I get the synblen eco oil.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2

2013 Green Gem SHO PP, all available options.

Scott13SHO

I know 2013 SHOs call out for 5W30 oil and not 5W20 oil that my Mustang and Escape use. Its a slight PIA because the local Wally world doesn't carry Motorcraft 5W30!
Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

jcl78

I might be the odd man out here, but a week after I bought the SHO I changed the oil to 0w-30 German Castrol, which is a group IV true synthetic with Motorcraft FL-500 filter. It might be in my head, but the engine runs so smooth, and very quiet (besides normal injector noise). 

flubyu

Running Motorcraft 5w20 Syn. Blend.  Motorcraft filter.
KONA   B
2011 F L E X Limited AWD
ECOBOOST
Lowered on H & R Springs
Tuned by TORRIE

breeves002

Quote from: Scott13SHO on July 24, 2013, 12:53:43 PM
I know 2013 SHOs call out for 5W30 oil and not 5W20 oil that my Mustang and Escape use. Its a slight PIA because the local Wally world doesn't carry Motorcraft 5W30!

I've been able to find it in 1 quart bottles but I can only find the 5w-20 syn blend in the 5 quart bottles. Its a lot more expensive to buy 6 single quarts than a 5 quart. Oil pan capacity is 5.5qts, right? I just buy two 5qt jugs then slowly use one, use a new one, then a half quart from the other one lol.

Ricanracer140

Rotella T6 5W40 full syn with a Ford filter and I change it when the the clock says 50%. I like the way the engine feels smoother and quieter than the ford stuff. I changed the oil last time at the dealership using Ford 5W30 synthetic blend and I found the engine to be noisier. Needless to say I changed back to the Rotella.

jcl78

Quote from: breeves002 on July 24, 2013, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: Scott13SHO on July 24, 2013, 12:53:43 PM

I've been able to find it in 1 quart bottles but I can only find the 5w-20 syn blend in the 5 quart bottles. Its a lot more expensive to buy 6 single quarts than a 5 quart. Oil pan capacity is 5.5qts, right? I just buy two 5qt jugs then slowly use one, use a new one, then a half quart from the other one lol.

They changed the official capacity to 6 quarts for the Ecoboost. :)

breeves002

Quote from: jcl78 on July 24, 2013, 05:26:56 PM
They changed the official capacity to 6 quarts for the Ecoboost. :)

Wow, good! The duratec has been able to hold 6 quarts since its inception, however they always have listed it as 5.5!

Shonuff1140

Quote from: adelsin on July 24, 2013, 05:26:02 AM
I have the prem maintainance plan, so I get the synblen eco oil.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2

I pay for the difference of synthetic/dinosaur oil blend to full syn. Motorcraft with the Ford maint. plan, and I think the car is quieter/runs cooler with it. It makes me happy knowing I am running good stuff.

Dujo

One change thus far (at 500 miles). I put in the Motorcraft synthetic blend that it came from the factory with (5w30 - 2013 Flex EB). Will probably do one more change with the blend at 1500 miles and then go to full synthetic Amsoil at 3000. Btw, you can get the Motorcraft 5w30 on Amazon if you can't find it locally.

I put Amsoil in my turbo Subaru and it still burns oil like crazy. It was not particularly well cared for early in its life (by me) since I didn't know enough about cars and turbo cars and turbo Subie's until I had owned it for several years. Probably will need to rebuild that motor in a few years.

The Subaru guys don't like Royal Purple that much and they really don't like Mobil 1 for turbo Subarus, but I'm not smart enough to give you the science behind that. I admit I just follow the crowd on mods and maintenance so that I can learn as I go. Fyi ... Rotella oil is very popular on that platform.