• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

FORScan?

Started by Gjkrisa, October 28, 2016, 10:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markboni55

I've read thru the posts and couldn't find if anyone has asked this silly/dumb question.

Can you use the OBD adapter from your handheld tuner unit (IE SCT) and connect with laptop hdmi port using FORScan? Or is the best approach to get a bluetooth adapter? I dont mind using my laptop and plan on using it for diagnostics to see if a miss-fire is occurring. Possibly looking at Mode 6 diag results to see if its below the min/mav values and therefore not throwing a CEL.

Thanks in advance.

SHOdded

HDMI?  I don't think you can do that without an HDMI-Bluetooth or HDMI-Wifi Converter.  Usually a USB port or Wifi is the way to connect depending on the revision of the tuner.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Markboni55

Quote from: SHOdded on November 21, 2018, 01:05:07 PM
HDMI?  I don't think you can do that without an HDMI-Bluetooth or HDMI-Wifi Converter.  Usually a USB port or Wifi is the way to connect depending on the revision of the tuner.

I was thinking of trying to use the OBD adapter from my SCT and connecting it directly to my laptop and seeing if it will connect.

I've attached the image of the adapter that came with the SCT I mentioned above. It may not work at all. Probably figures why no one has mentioned it because it is a dumb question lol!

SHOdded

Do you have a closeup of the connector - certainly looks like an HDMI ...  HDMI can be spec'd to carry Ethernet, so possibly using that?
https://www.cmple.com/learn/learning-center-hdmi-cables-with-ethernet
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Gjkrisa

If your laptop is able to pick up the ethernet thru HDMI is may be possible all the can signals are pretty close to the same so I have read but haven't gotten that far in the actual reading of everything.

You maybe abel to wire or get a HDMI converter to some other port like HDMI to vga then strip a VGA cord then convert it to serial but that is very complicated and probably around the same price of just getting a dongle but if you were to figure it out it could make it cheaper for someone else
Quote from: Markboni55 on November 21, 2018, 03:39:23 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on November 21, 2018, 01:05:07 PM

I was thinking of trying to use the OBD adapter from my SCT and connecting it directly to my laptop and seeing if it will connect.

I've attached the image of the adapter that came with the SCT I mentioned above. It may not work at all. Probably figures why no one has mentioned it because it is a dumb question lol!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

Gjkrisa

Hello everyone that has scanned the can Network to figure out pids I needs some help figuring out how to do this and or find of the Ford explorer sand mode sends a code in hopes to make a button you can press to have the sho going to traction control off quickly

SHOdded

ecoboostsho is the original pid scan meister on this forum.  perhaps he will chime in or you can pm him directly.

ZSHO

X2 Dave (ecoboostsho) is the PID Master! Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Hey there! Appreciate the references but I am far from an expert on CANBUS communications - that said I will happily chime in what I do know.  (I did get your PM as well Gjkrisa).  The challenge with scanning the PID's per se is that the method I used originally to figure out the numeric values for them involved using a known scan tool to do so.  The modules communicate directly between them via addresses on the CANBUS so you need to be able to intercept that communication or have it originate on the scan tool.  With a scan tool (like FORSCAN for instance) you could sniff the traffic between the PC and the car to see what the responses were.  If you are actually trying to intercept a communication between modules (like what the Explorer does when you put it in SAND mode as the example you sent me via PM) you have to have a way to see that PID response and that won't be easy. 

Bottom line is if you can replicate the action/request with a SCAN tool and use a serial sniffer to see it then we can interpret the results and possibly make some progress.  Without that I don't know of a way to essentially see all of the traffic on the CAN bus and even if you could picking out the one thing you are after would be difficult because we don't really know what we are looking for. 
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Gjkrisa

Quote from: ecoboostsho on February 28, 2019, 10:41:43 AM
Hey there! Appreciate the references but I am far from an expert on CANBUS communications - that said I will happily chime in what I do know.  (I did get your PM as well Gjkrisa).  The challenge with scanning the PID's per se is that the method I used originally to figure out the numeric values for them involved using a known scan tool to do so.  The modules communicate directly between them via addresses on the CANBUS so you need to be able to intercept that communication or have it originate on the scan tool.  With a scan tool (like FORSCAN for instance) you could sniff the traffic between the PC and the car to see what the responses were.  If you are actually trying to intercept a communication between modules (like what the Explorer does when you put it in SAND mode as the example you sent me via PM) you have to have a way to see that PID response and that won't be easy. 

Bottom line is if you can replicate the action/request with a SCAN tool and use a serial sniffer to see it then we can interpret the results and possibly make some progress.  Without that I don't know of a way to essentially see all of the traffic on the CAN bus and even if you could picking out the one thing you are after would be difficult because we don't really know what we are looking for.
Right yeah I had gotten a log on my phone but had messed up a few times so when I finally started logging the packets it supposedly filled the 1mb buffer and only showed me 15 lines of which also have no idea what they were so yeah was curious how you could even tell what your even looking at so that makes sense
They mention on a artical on obd hacking that you just keep flipping your trigger few different patterns so you can find that one object

Thank you for that little bit of insight.

You remember any of the commands of what you used to establish connection and get it all prepared?

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Gjkrisa on February 28, 2019, 11:03:58 AM
Quote from: ecoboostsho on February 28, 2019, 10:41:43 AM

Right yeah I had gotten a log on my phone but had messed up a few times so when I finally started logging the packets it supposedly filled the 1mb buffer and only showed me 15 lines of which also have no idea what they were so yeah was curious how you could even tell what your even looking at so that makes sense
They mention on a artical on obd hacking that you just keep flipping your trigger few different patterns so you can find that one object

Thank you for that little bit of insight.

You remember any of the commands of what you used to establish connection and get it all prepared?

Here are some notes I made for myself a long time ago.  You may need to tweak the STP setting and the STCAFCP to get what you want (assuming all this still works).  This is based on an OBDlink MX adapter which utilizes the STN1100 chip set.  After you establish a serial session with the car you can type the following to set things up.  You may need to tweak the settings depending on your terminal server serial connection to get the display you are after.

ATI  (Just prints ELM 327 version ID string)
STI  (Prints Firmware ID string)
STP53 (Sets Protocol to 53 - MS CAN as an example)
ATPC  (Protocol Close)
ATE0  (Echo off)
ATL0  (Line Feed Off)
ATH1  (Headers On)
ATST32  (Sets timeout to 32ms)
ATS0  (Print Spaces off)
ATAT1  (Adaptive timing Auto)
ATCAF1  (Automatic Formatting On)
ATTP6  (Try Protocol 6)
ATBI  (Bypass Initialization sequence)
ATAL  (Allow long messages)

ATSH0007E0 (Set header to 00 07 E0 - this is typically your scan tool address if I recall correctly)
STCAFCP7E0,726  (Adds a flow control 11-bit ID pair, 7E0 is your scan tool and 726 is your target module address...you could request a known PID from the AWD module and see what header it responds with and use that going forward)

Here is the entire guide for the chipset...

https://www.scantool.net/scantool/downloads/98/stn1100-frpm.pdf

You can actually monitor all messages and then filter for what you are after...challenge is you don't know the PID but I think you could at least limit it to the communication between the module in question.   

It's been quite awhile since I dug in to this so take the above with a grain of salt and maybe experiment a bit! (But don't go too crazy. :)  )
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

MKS Tom

Has anyone found MKS codes?  I just got Forscan today.  I am just trying to learn it and find out what is available and useful for my MKS.  Thank you. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

SHOdded

Forscan in any of its' versions is not customizable.  Torque Pro is.  If you are looking to add custom codes, Torque Pro is the way to go.

Can you take snapshots of what PIDs are available for your MKS in the PCM module?  Then we can compare to what is now available with Torque Pro.

Gjkrisa

Quote from: MKS Tom on April 27, 2019, 04:35:06 AM
Has anyone found MKS codes?  I just got Forscan today.  I am just trying to learn it and find out what is available and useful for my MKS.  Thank you.
If you get a  2 month free license using the pc software and you find the place to make changes in the one not labeled as built it should have a pretty big list or stuff to change but not everything is changeable if you don't have the right modules
Only thing they didn't add in to preselection was changing sync3 theme

Gjkrisa

Just found this guy wial I was trying to figure out how to use forscan to control things like bleeding brake fluid thru the abs controller
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=6DF661C7B798C246!36209&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AOW_-cRixqVIJWM
This is a exel sheet for Taurus :D

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk