• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 XSport Dyno Runs - MiWiAu

Started by MiWiAu, October 21, 2016, 06:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

I've attached the dyno graph for the pulls I had done on my 2013 XSport this past Tuesday. The third pull was significantly lower overall, so I omitted it from the graph. Unfortunately, I didn't have my SCT datalogger running during the pulls, and I'm not sure what's causing the dip in HP/TQ numbers around 4800 RPM. I also saw the same phenomenon when I made pulls on a DynoJet the day prior.

I did take some 4th gear data logs today on the road (attached). I'm hoping that someone can take a quick look and let me know if they see anything that might be amiss.

I'm planning on installing my drop-in AEM, 1 step cooler NGK plugs, 170 tstat, and 3-bar MAP from Unleashed tomorrow.

BASELINE RUN CONFIGURATION
Start Mileage 32,215
87 Octane Top Tier Fuel (Costco)
Tire Pressure @ 35PSI (All)
New Motorcraft Air Filter Installed @ 30,525
All Stock Except:
  Amsoil Engine/Trans/PTU Fluid Changed @ 29,948
  RX Monster Can Installed @ 30,434
  BOV VTA @ 30,434
  CAC Block Off Plate Removed @ 30,434

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Alright boys and girls. As indicated in my other thread "Any Dyno Tips/Tricks" I'm schedule to do some additional dyno pulls this Friday. I'll have the dyno shop provide me all the raw data for post-processing.

In order to maximize my time, I'm planning to do 2-pulls for each tune and average the results for each.

The plan right now is to run:
  1) AJP 93 Perf
  2) AJP 87 Perf
  3) Unleashed 87 Perf
  4) OE Baseline

With the exception of the 2-bar MAP sensor for the OE tune, all of the installed hardware will be the same between runs - the only difference will be the tune. (I'll post up the hardware details with the results).

Since I don't have an unlimited budget or time, I am going to do all the pulls with the same tank of 93 octane winter blend fuel. This will probably result in a little more power out of the 87 tunes, but at least everything will be apples-to-apples. The AJP tunes are set to max out at 3 degrees spark advance at WOT, so I won't be able to add an exorbitant amount of timing.

On a side note, I did some data log comparisons yesterday of my 87 octane tunes to evaluate my 0-60 times.
  OE Baseline (same config as Post #1, 87 Octane Fuel): 6.608 s/62.6 deg F Ambient
  Unleashed 87P (v1, no add'l revisions per Torrie): 6.200 s/35.6 deg F Ambient
  AJP Turbo 87P (v3): 6.038 s/39.2 deg Ambient

The higher octane logs are not very good for comparison, since my tuning went well into December and a lot of my pulls were done on partially snow covered roads. ;)
2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 21, 2016, 10:37:59 AM
Alright boys and girls. As indicated in my other thread "Any Dyno Tips/Tricks" I'm schedule to do some additional dyno pulls this Friday. I'll have the dyno shop provide me all the raw data for post-processing.

In order to maximize my time, I'm planning to do 2-pulls for each tune and average the results for each.

The plan right now is to run:
  1) AJP 93 Perf
  2) AJP 87 Perf
  3) Unleashed 87 Perf
  4) OE Baseline

With the exception of the 2-bar MAP sensor for the OE tune, all of the installed hardware will be the same between runs - the only difference will be the tune. (I'll post up the hardware details with the results).

Since I don't have an unlimited budget or time, I am going to do all the pulls with the same tank of 93 octane winter blend fuel. This will probably result in a little more power out of the 87 tunes, but at least everything will be apples-to-apples. The AJP tunes are set to max out at 3 degrees spark advance at WOT, so I won't be able to add an exorbitant amount of timing.

On a side note, I did some data log comparisons yesterday of my 87 octane tunes to evaluate my 0-60 times.
  OE Baseline (same config as Post #1, 87 Octane Fuel): 6.608 s/62.6 deg F Ambient
  Unleashed 87P (v1, no add'l revisions per Torrie): 6.200 s/35.6 deg F Ambient
  AJP Turbo 87P (v3): 6.038 s/39.2 deg Ambient

The higher octane logs are not very good for comparison, since my tuning went well into December and a lot of my pulls were done on partially snow covered roads. ;)

Just a thought for the OE/stock baseline run. I had Brad make me a "tune" that is the stock file, but just modified to allow for 3 bar when I installed the 3 bar. So that way I can go to that tune for stock driving/any fuel, but not have to swap the MAP sensor. May be an option. That tune evolves with each of my mods, as my back-up tune essentially. If I ever have a problem finding fuel, etc. I can just load the "stock" tune, and go on with my day.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 21, 2016, 12:00:02 PM
Yes!

At least I now have a face to go with the name, Brad. Not what I was expecting. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Just be happy it's the top half you are seeing.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Mission accomplished! Ahh!! So much data!!

Ran through 4 tunes. Ended up doing 20+ pulls today. I still need to process all the data. I'll try to get the results posted up tomorrow. :)

2013 XSport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone! I've spent several hours post processing this data since yesterday, so be forewarned: long post ahead! :)

Round 2 of dyno pulls was completed yesterday (12/23/16) at Endless Autosport in West Allis, WI. Dyno was a linked Mustang load based dynamometer. All runs were completed with the exact same hardware and tank of 93 octane (winter blend) fuel. All pulls were completed in third gear. Hood was left up. No adjustments to the straps were made from start to finish. Target pull RPM range was 2000-6000.

Pulls were made in the following order: 1) AJP 93R7, 2) AJP 87R3, 3) Unleashed 87R1, 4) OE 3Bar. For each of the tunes, two pulls were made back to back, then the truck was shut down to cool for 10 minutes and two more back to back pulls were made. Ten minute cool times were allowed while switching tunes, then the process was repeated.

I re-ran the OE tune (very slightly modified) due to the hardware changes and time since previous baseline pulls. The only modifications to the OE tune was to allow the use of the 3 bar map and also disable downshifting in manual mode. Spark, fuel and boost were all stock.

CONFIGURATION/HARDWARE (SAME FOR ALL 12/23/16 DYNO RUNS)
   Start Mileage 35,578 mi
   93 octane top tier fuel  (winter blend)
   Tire Pressure @ 35 PSI (All)
   AEM DryFlow Drop-in Air Filter Installed @ 32,400 mi
   RAT Stat 170 Degree Thermostat Installed @ 32,400 mi
   NGK 6510 Plugs (1 step cooler) Installed @ 32,400 mi
   3-Bar MAP Installed @ 32,400 mi
   AJP Turbo Boost Regulator Installed @ 34,675 mi

MISCELLANEOUS
   Amsoil 5W30 Oil/MC Filter Changed @ 32,770 mi
   Amsoil Trans/PTU Fluid Changed @ 29,948 mi
   Amsoil RDU Fluid Changed @ 32,912 mi
   Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost Added @ 32,400 mi
   Rx Monster OCC Installed @ 30,434 mi
   CAC Block Off Plate Removed @ 30,434 mi
   BOV VTA @ 30,434 mi

Now, onto the results! Here is a summary of what's contained below.

Figure 1: OE 3-Bar Tune, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)
Figure 2: Unleashed 87R1, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)
Figure 3: AJP Turbo 87R3, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)
Figure 4: AJP Turbo 93R7, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)
Figure 5: Overall Tune Comparison, average HP/TQ from Figures 1-4
Figure 6: Total Power Comparison, Area Chart
Figure 7: Total Power Comparison, % change from stock by RPM range

I haven't had a chance to go through every single data log for each pull, but I checked some temps for the second set of back to back runs for both the first tune (AJP 93) and last tune (OE 3bar) and temps seem reasonably close considering 20 or so pulls. Ambient temps were as measured by the vehicle (inside the shop).

Beginning Temps (*F) – AJP 93 Pulls
  Ambient: 42
  IAT2: 93-122
  CHT: 184-207

Ending Temps (*F) – OE 3Bar Pulls
  Ambient: 50 ambient
  IAT2: 98-130
  CHT: 192-217

Figure 1: OE 3-Bar Tune, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)

Figure 2: Unleashed 87R1, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)

Figure 3: AJP Turbo 87R3, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)

Figure 4: AJP Turbo 93R7, 4 pulls plus average of 4 pulls (black lines)

Figure 5: Overall Tune Comparison, average HP/TQ from Figures 1-4

Figure 6: Total Power Comparison, Area Chart
A better way to compare overall power is to look at the area under the HP curve. I used this to compare the overall relative power between each of the four tunes over set RPM ranges.

EDIT (12/29/16): Updated area chart to show entire RPM range of dyno pulls.

Figure 7: Total Power Comparison, % change from stock by RPM range
I applied the Trapezoid Rule (10 RPM increments) on the data used to generate the curves for Figure 6 and calculated the total power for each tune (relative to the OE tune) for the RPM ranges shown in the chart below.

EDIT (12/29/16): Added total power comparison across entire RPM range of dyno pulls (green bars); omitted Unleashed tune for 2140-5940 RPM range, since WOT was not achieved until 3000 RPM.

PEAK VALUES (take with a huge grain of salt – see observations and conclusions)

My observations and conclusions:
I was little surprised at the peak HP numbers, especially considering the monster torque gains, but look how much higher the HP runs on the AJP tunes through most of the RPM range.

I did some nerdsmithing of the data and calculated Total Power, since this is a little more telling over the entire RPM band. Figure 6 is a chart to help visualize the areas under the curve. To be fair with the analysis for the Unleashed tune (since we were having downshifting issues during pulls), I set the bottom RPM cutoff at 3500 RPM and analyzed up to 5940 RPM. On the first set of pulls we did, the RPM settings at the top end were too low so it stopped logging a little early. I clipped the top end of the comparison at 5940 RPM, so everything was same-same.

In Figure 6, note the 4300RPM vertical marker. Looking back at my 0-90 MPH data logs, this is the lowest RPM I dropped to during 1>2 and 2>3 shifts under WOT.

My interpretation is that the AJP 87 tune would probably be a touch faster than the Unleashed 87 tune in the 1/4 mile. As you can see in Figure 7, they are both pretty similar above 4300RPM, but the AJP 87 tune makes more power lower in the RPM range. The AJP 87 tune at the high RPM cutoff starts tapering off a tad faster than the Unleashed, so if I extrapolated the data, say from 4300-6200 RPM, the Unleashed might be a touch better there, but with the increased lower end power, I think the AJP 87 tune would come out ahead at the end in a 1/4 mile match-up. The Unleashed tune likely would have a slight edge with a 60+ MPH roll-on race.

While the two 87 tunes might be fairly close in the 1/4 mile, in my opinion, the AJP 87 tune is definitely better as a general all-purpose driver, as the 87 AJP tune makes better overall power throughout the RPM range. And check out the Figure 7 gains for the 93 tune! Dag yo!!! :mj_banana:

Oh yeah, and the AJP tunes still utilize TORQUE MANAGEMENT for drivetrain longevity. :)

EDIT: Added peak summary table as image due to formatting issues with entered text.
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Now that is a FANTASTIC xmas present for the data w****s among us :D

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on December 24, 2016, 08:33:48 PM
Now that is a FANTASTIC xmas present for the data w****s among us :D

Are the charts working for you? I just checked in my Tapatalk and only one appears to be loading. It was working on the lappy earlier.

2013 XSport

SHOdded

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on December 24, 2016, 08:37:58 PM
Fig 2 is working, the rest no.

Dang it. Sorry about that. I'll fix the links tonight when the outlaws head home.

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 24, 2016, 08:39:29 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on December 24, 2016, 08:37:58 PM
Fig 2 is working, the rest no.

Dang it. Sorry about that. I'll fix the links tonight when the outlaws head home.

I logged in to fix it, and they all appear to be working again, both on the laptop and the phone. Maybe it was a temporary glitch with Photobucket...
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Here's one more chart for reference.

This is a comparison of average HP and TQ for the OE tunes with 87 vs 93 octane fuel. Keep in mind, while these were run on the same dyno, testing was performed about a month and a half apart, and with a couple different pieces of hardware (mainly the plugs, t-stat, and air filter). The 87 pull is the config from post #1, the 93 pull is from the config in post #9.

Unfortunately, I don't have any data logs for the 87 pull, so I'm not sure why the dip in HP/TQ numbers. However it was very persistent, as the phenomenon was present on all 3 pulls, and also manifested a day prior on a DynoJet dyno for both pulls. Obviously this was not present for the recent 93 octane pulls.

ALSO NOTE: The 87 pull was done in 4th gear, while the 93 pull was in 3rd gear. Again, not apples to apples, just a VERY ROUGH comparison.

2013 XSport