• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Multi-Oil Analysis

Started by AnotherGreenFusion, October 19, 2016, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherGreenFusion

I will be doing a more through write up to help interpret the data when I have time in the next week or so. The TLDR of things is BND oil is safe to use but is really about the same as AMSOil in quality except the gear oils where BND has lower acids. AMSOil Eurospec won't hurt your car and actually has some better properties with viscosity than signature even with a lower TBN. Royal Purple is not as good as many people think it is you are better off with something else. Finally Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is pretty good for a blend and more than usable in the EB platform (of course!).
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

SHOdded

First of all, I want to applaud your efforts, AGF, they are honestly appreciated!

UOA paired with virgin oil analysis will give a more complete picture of the quality of the product.  Numbers are meant to be manipulated.  Just because an oil has an initial TBN of 11, for example, doesn't tell you HOW that TBN was achieved.  Is it primarily from the quality of the base oil, or is it the additives, ...?  It would be REALLY helpful if more people would send in oil samples from the oils they use.  Data would be so much easier to come by :)

I do think MC synblend is a good oil ... for a naturally aspirated vehicle in particular.  Not so good for the demands of a GTDI engine at the recommended OCIs though.  I have run MC oil through a number of OCIs now on my Edge, very recently switching to Mobil 1, but it never gave me cause for complaint.  Looked good throughout, though darker at the end, and smelled pretty good for used oil too.  No clue on their synthetic offerings tho.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on November 04, 2016, 11:20:53 AM
First of all, I want to applaud your efforts, AGF, they are honestly appreciated!

UOA paired with virgin oil analysis will give a more complete picture of the quality of the product.  Numbers are meant to be manipulated.  Just because an oil has an initial TBN of 11, for example, doesn't tell you HOW that TBN was achieved.  Is it primarily from the quality of the base oil, or is it the additives, ...?  It would be REALLY helpful if more people would send in oil samples from the oils they use.  Data would be so much easier to come by :)

I do think MC synblend is a good oil ... for a naturally aspirated vehicle in particular.  Not so good for the demands of a GTDI engine at the recommended OCIs though.  I have run MC oil through a number of OCIs now on my Edge, very recently switching to Mobil 1, but it never gave me cause for complaint.  Looked good throughout, though darker at the end, and smelled pretty good for used oil too. No clue on their synthetic offerings tho.

I have Motorcraft full synthetic in mine now.  I will try to send a used sample off to get an analysis.  Been curious about it as it's easy for me to come by inexpensively.  Have Mobil 1 Extended Performance to put in next.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: SHOdded on November 04, 2016, 11:20:53 AM

I do think MC synblend is a good oil ... for a naturally aspirated vehicle in particular.  Not so good for the demands of a GTDI engine at the recommended OCIs though.  I have run MC oil through a number of OCIs now on my Edge, very recently switching to Mobil 1, but it never gave me cause for complaint.  Looked good throughout, though darker at the end, and smelled pretty good for used oil too.  No clue on their synthetic offerings tho.

This is all very true, even Blackstone notes in one of the reports that starting TBN is not always the best indicator since TBN drops more slowly as the oil ages. For me I think looking at the viscosity and additives are most important. I have been using AMSOil Euro spec for some time now as it was preferred by a lot of GDTI folks. Based on this analysis and my UOA report from 6k miles of use I was on the money that the TBN while lower, holds up well and I get a better viscosity out of the oil with a bit more shear protection.

Personally i think I will use up what I have of BND when my engine is rebuilt then will likely stick with AMSOil for the engine since its a bit easier for me to get and is not far off from Quantum Blue already. Also the very high levels of Zinc in the quantum blue do have me concerned about long term use melting the cat will need to read more on that.

As for the gear oils, I think I need to test more brands but I am impressed at the low TAN numbers I see from BND ATF and gear oils.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

ZSHO

Definitely looking forward to your results AGF....Sorry to hear about the mischief the the car has caused you and hopefully she will be running to its fullest potential in no time.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BOT_ROCKET

Thanks for putting the effort into this! From the look of it, I'll be sticking with Mobile 1 for the engine as I have been for many years. If it ain't broke...

fwiw, another FuSpo owner and I are planning a used oil comparo of mobile 1 (mine) and MC fullsynth+BG MOA (his). We live in the same area and did our first change about a week apart, so it should be a good comparison.
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: BOT_ROCKET on November 04, 2016, 06:28:49 PM
Thanks for putting the effort into this! From the look of it, I'll be sticking with Mobile 1 for the engine as I have been for many years. If it ain't broke...

fwiw, another FuSpo owner and I are planning a used oil comparo of mobile 1 (mine) and MC fullsynth+BG MOA (his). We live in the same area and did our first change about a week apart, so it should be a good comparison.

M1 is very popular and people seem to have good results from it. If anything this testing is already showing that higher end oils will be at minimum as good as ford spec motorcraft (as we all already knew). How much further a particular oil goes is up to testing. I am already thinking about getting another 12 fluids together to send out for testing. M1 is def on that list already. It all comes down to money I can set aside + donations.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

AJP turbo

Nice job! AGF!

Although i stopped using the recommended 5w-50 full synthetic motorcraft for my mustang gt track pack after uoa showed terrible amounts of shearing compared to amsoil sig
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

We have an Edge guy who switched over to Amsoil Sig after 150,000 miles.  Puts on 5+K a week.  Going by engine hours (200).  I expect these results to be the worst as the oil scrubs off 150K worth of deposits.  WIll post once results are in.

SHOdded

Should've updated sooner, but here it is.  Amsoil SS & oil filter, 207 engine hours & 10,600 miles on a 167,000 mile engine.

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: SHOdded on March 30, 2017, 05:22:52 PM
Should've updated sooner, but here it is.  Amsoil SS & oil filter, 207 engine hours & 10,600 miles on a 167,000 mile engine.
I think I saw his YouTube video. The 'Soil did great.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lexingtonian

A little help for an oil noob.. Thanks to all that put this together!

Reading through the Blackstone findings of the virgin samples, the question emerges for me that is simply, "What does this really tell us?" I see Blackstone saying oil is "Serviceable" and "Fit" but that doesn't provide any reference as to how much so.

What am I missing here? Also, I am willing to contribute to another run if needed.

Lex
2016 Explorer Sport Metallic
93 Octane AJP Tune (SCT X4)
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

MiWiAu

The virgin samples just show you the "starting" values for brand new oil. If you know your staring point, it can help you determine if values in used oil samples are actually due to wear/use, or if it's just a characteristic of the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport