• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

aFe Cold Air

Started by Randy Stinchcomb, October 19, 2016, 03:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Stinchcomb

Kit came in today, Dry filter, probably won't get a chance to install till Saturday, looks good, complete, well packaged.

Thanks Tommy@JPC Racing

SHOdded

Good luck, and looking forward to updates.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

I assume Randy has an Explorer? The Explorer AFE intake doesn't look like it would fit on the Taurus. I looked at a co-worker's 2017 Explorer and the hood line was much higher. The AFE's tube and angled cover is about the same height as the battery - which would clear an Explorer hood but definitely not on the Taurus. It's a shame because it looks like a much better design than the Airaid. The AFE uses the stock lower box for the cold/ram air snorkle, but also has an opening aimed at the fender for even more air flow.

The more I datalog and examine the transverse 3.5 ecoboost, the more I think the stock airbox/airfilter is a restriction when running higher boost levels. Truth of the matter is that it was intended for a 2007 Edge naturally aspirated 3.5L V6. The lid is somewhat revised for the EcoBoost engines, but mainly for a different orientation. I spoke with K&N and based on the data I exchanged with them, they said the stock airbox is going to restrict those running higher boost levels because it is limiting the airflow even with their panel filter. Their cold air intake (which is like a hot air intake) will flow more than enough though, so the same goes for the Airaid.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport