• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any dyno tips/tricks?

Started by MiWiAu, October 18, 2016, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

I tried to get baseline numbers yesterday for my 2013 XSport, and things did not go all that well. It was run on a DynoJet (unknown model) that did not have linked rollers. Traction control was initially trying to engage even with it switched off. The tech pulled some underhood fuses to disable AWD, and he made a couple of pulls in 4th gear, but the truck continuously tried to downshift to third. To top it off, the tech sent me on my way with a bunch of AWD and TMS errors saying that they should clear after a few key cycles. Well, I got home and found he had neglected to replace the ABS module fuse. Once I put a fuse in, all was back to normal.

I'm heading to a different (and hopefully more competent) shop today to run on a linked Mustang MD-AWD-150 dyno. Does anyone have any suggestions on preventing traction control issues, downshifts to third, TMS settings, tow mode enabled (?), etc?

Thanks!
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

I got 3 pulls in at Endless Autosport last night in West Allis, WI. The Mustang MD-AWD-150 dyno with linked rollers seemed to do the trick, and did not throw any of the TMS and AWD errors that I was getting on the non-linked DynoJet.

I'll post up some graphs when I get home later this evening.
2013 XSport

Vortech347

If they are letting you do the pull, DON'T STEER.  LOL  I've seen that a few times go really bad.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

f8tlSHO

Quote from: Vortech347 on October 19, 2016, 02:14:00 PM
If they are letting you do the pull, DON'T STEER.  LOL  I've seen that a few times go really bad.
Yeah there are sensors that see the wheel turning!!! When my car torque steers the computer freaks out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

MiWiAu

Alright, I'm heading back to the dyno on Friday to run my latest and greatest AJP Turbo tunes. I'm going to rent by the hour, so I can switch between several tunes while still strapped down.

Couple questions for you guys who have done this a few times:

1) Do you idle between pulls to let things cool off, or shut down completely? How long should I figure for cool-down time between pulls? Obviously some time will be eaten during re-flashing and would require a complete shut-down.

2) Hood up or down during pulls? Last time I had the hood closed (3 pulls), but I'm leaning toward doing another baseline run (or two) and subsequent pulls with the hood open. I'm thinking intake temps with the hood open would be more representative of ambient air intake temps when running at speed, and heat soak may occur at a slower rate.

This time around, I'm planning to data log every pull and monitor the CHT at the start of the pulls to try and be as repeatable as possible. I'm also planning to bring my own blower fan to direct at the rear turbo ducting, since the dyno shop fan isn't all that powerful.

If you guys have any other ideas for trying to maintain consistency between pulls without an exorbitant amount of time, I'd appreciate it. I can't really afford to be there for four hours (or at all, LOL!). ;)
2013 XSport