• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

JMS Boost Max

Started by Randy Stinchcomb, October 17, 2016, 04:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: Rockstar04 on October 18, 2016, 01:08:53 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on October 18, 2016, 12:18:07 PM
Yeah a log would be great.

I dont see how you can crank that much more power especially without a 3 bar...80 hp is pretty impressive with the stock map sensor

Im still amazed at 1 size fits all tunes...basically thats what the boost max will do...i assure you every tune ive done has unique boost and spark curves because stacked tolerances and fuel require it imho.

Since the BoostMax is rescaling the MAP and TIP readings it can trick the computer into running boost beyond what the sensors can actually read. (I dont have one, or logs to back that up as fact, but it CAN theoretically do that)

Maybe it can...but then there would he no need for a 3 bar map sensor....there is nothing in the tune to adjust the volts vs map scale...i think the map and tip are calibrated to a scale

I know the stock map sensor is about 206 kpa is about 4.8 volts...no way to change that...you change the slopes and intercepts for those sensors in the tune to control how the fueling is applied at various loads

It has to screw up the tq calculations. Perhaps iust not severe enough to manifest itself as a dtc or cel
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Rockstar04

The only way I can figure out that how it works is that (just throwing number out, too lazy for real math and yes, stock TIP is 3bar, map 2 bar so voltages would be different) is that when the map/tip should be sending a ~4.0v signal, the boost max lowers the voltage (only forwards say ~3.0v), tricking the computer into trying to compensate. It only ties into the MAP, TIP, and TPS so yes, it is going to skew tq/load calcs for sure.

Edit: looking over the install instructions it ties into the Pedal Position sensor under the dash, not the TPS sensors on the throttle body.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

Randy Stinchcomb

Quote from: Blackhawk on October 18, 2016, 12:13:10 PM
I've been out of the mustang game for a while but was super active around 2000 on corral.net and svtperformance.  Why does your name sound so familiar?

And to answer your original question, a SCT with a custom tune can be had for ~$450.  With the $300 price point for the boostmax for the rest of us, the custom tune seems a little safer and not too much more dough.

Quote from: Randy Stinchcomb on October 18, 2016, 11:24:08 AM
Ok, thanks, I'll look into it
Yup, sold FORD parts to just about everyone on the net, had my own parts fourms on Modular Depot, American Muscle, Modular Misfits and a few others. Retired now and got to much time on my hands, still got my '96 GT, which will be out in the spring

Blackhawk

Now it clicks, I'm sure I've bought stuff from you in the past.

Quote from: Randy Stinchcomb on October 18, 2016, 05:59:20 PM
I've been out of the mustang game for a while but was super active around 2000 on corral.net and svtperformance.  Why does your name sound so familiar?

And to answer your original question, a SCT with a custom tune can be had for ~$450.  With the $300 price point for the boostmax for the rest of us, the custom tune seems a little safer and not too much more dough.

Yup, sold FORD parts to just about everyone on the net, had my own parts fourms on Modular Depot, American Muscle, Modular Misfits and a few others. Retired now and got to much time on my hands, still got my '96 GT, which will be out in the spring

Randy Stinchcomb

Quote from: BlueSHO on October 18, 2016, 12:31:02 PM

Randy has been in the game a long time and like I said in another post I met him at the first World Ford challenge back in 98 I believe. He was running a then new to the industry 96 4.6 Mustang..

That's right, who iz this🤔 identify yourself 😊

BlueSHO

Quote from: Randy Stinchcomb on October 18, 2016, 06:06:01 PM
Quote from: BlueSHO on October 18, 2016, 12:31:02 PM

Randy has been in the game a long time and like I said in another post I met him at the first World Ford challenge back in 98 I believe. He was running a then new to the industry 96 4.6 Mustang..

That's right, who iz this🤔 identify yourself 😊
I'm Jeff,and I had and still have a 96 Mystic Cobra. Bought parts from you and talked to you in the pits at Beech Bend..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

Randy Stinchcomb

Well Hi Jeff, good to hear from you again.
I've been out of the game since 2005, due to a business venture that evolved offshore sportfishing, but Im BACK, just bought the wife a 2015 X-Sport and I gotta' tell you, Im impressed, damn thing makes more HP than My GT!!

Randy Stinchcomb

Quote from: Blackhawk on October 18, 2016, 06:01:54 PM
Now it clicks, I'm sure I've bought sfttuff from you in the past.

Quote from: Randy Stinchcomb on October 18, 2016, 05:59:20 PM

Probably, I was do busy selling, answering questions, packing and shipping parts. But I gotta' tell you, the Best Part was travling around and meeting guys like you and Jeff, I miss that.

metroplex

Randy and Torrie were parts guys I bought stuff from as far back as 10-13 years ago; they're good people.
And I started using SCT Pro Racer around 2003, so I do remember Chris.

As for the JMS-Yates Boost Max, I called up Yates and JMS to inquire about this system early last year. Like everyone's probably already said, it is a piggy back system not unlike a Power Commander or Bazzaz for a bike but a lot less complex. It seems it adds 5 psi to the 3.5L EcoBoost, which just so happens to be the approximate threshold of efficiency for the stock turbo/intercooler setup (15-16 psi). It's possible to just do this without adjusting the fueling or spark on the ECU. I never really had to mess with WGDC or spark or fueling to run extra boost. Since the BoostMax interfaces between the throttle, MAP, and TIP sensors - you probably don't even need to adjust the throttle position for open loop fueling. Although the open loop lambda would be something you wouldn't be able to change. Stock runs something like 0.83-0.86 mid RPMs and then goes down to 0.77 or so near 6k RPM.

I don't like the idea of piggyback systems as the wires/hardware are extra failure points, but it is worth a try if you can get it at a great price. You won't have as much control over the ECU obviously.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport