• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Kpa to Psi conversion at altitude

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, October 10, 2016, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

I ran a best ET of 13.54 and mph of 104.  With an unleashed tune on a shitty strategy that was dumping boost like a mofo after 5k.  I think my car will probably run about a 13.40 now that the top end boost has been ironed out.
we were having the exact same problem with brads tune for about a week and thought it was the strategy and he kept telling me about your strategy issue. but it turned out i had the latest strategy so brad kept playing with it and figured out how to keep desired TIP constant. i don't think its coincidence that we both had the exact same issue at higher altitude. maybe your strategy update just happened to make the necessary tweaks and that was more the coincidence. . but then again i'm not the tuner lol!
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Hey I've been lurking and reading but have been busy as hell, this last week and a half has been a different type of week for me and my routine's are out of whack....But anyway

It's odd for sure, I think Vortechs and 8nutz problems were slightly different but similar.

Vortechs I'm 100% sure was strategy because I made no changes and it was fixed

8nutz yours looked damn similar so I would've bet the farm it was strategy....But you didn't need an update according to IDS and Ford and I managed to change some things that seemingly helped thus far.

I think the altitude played a part in how the ECU interpreted torque requests or something...Vortechs main problem, in addition to dumping boost at the top, was variation in tq requests between D and S modes

8nutz your problem is that desired TIP was all over the map in a way I hadn't seen...I'm blaming it on altitude

Now it's tough to say because Vortech got an update and you didn't and I made changes to yours that he didn't get and doesn't need now anyway but they both seem to be rectified now
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

http://www.convertunits.com/from/psi/to/kpa

Try this calculator...It's a resource I use....I get confused myself when you start talking about pressures in absolute and relative to atmosphere.

When I put in "0" PSI (relative to atmos.) I get 101.32 KPA so I think that is a constant which is why KPA is nice...When we all talk PSI we mean relative to atmosphere...So when you use KPA you don't have to make that assumption...Which is why I think when you log desired TIP in Livelink it only can be viewed in KPA..Maybe MAP too but I forget...I like looking at them both in KPA

So if 0 PSI relative to atmosphere is 101.32 KPA then 184 KPA is 12 psi the way I see it....But I could be wrong

Is it accurate to say 12 psi at your altitude is equal to 14 psi at sea level? Maybe but it starts to confuse me there

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Vortech347

Quote from: AJP turbo on October 11, 2016, 10:51:43 PM

Try this calculator...It's a resource I use....I get confused myself when you start talking about pressures in absolute and relative to atmosphere.

When I put in "0" PSI (relative to atmos.) I get 101.32 KPA so I think that is a constant which is why KPA is nice...When we all talk PSI we mean relative to atmosphere...So when you use KPA you don't have to make that assumption...Which is why I think when you log desired TIP in Livelink it only can be viewed in KPA..Maybe MAP too but I forget...I like looking at them both in KPA

So if 0 PSI relative to atmosphere is 101.32 KPA then 184 KPA is 12 psi the way I see it....But I could be wrong

Is it accurate to say 12 psi at your altitude is equal to 14 psi at sea level? Maybe but it starts to confuse me there

Totally. Both of my SC cars make 2 more PSI of boost at sea level on density alone. Someone's we get lucky when it gets cold and we'll get an extra lb of fun. Our dyno correction factors here are usually 15-17%.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

AJP turbo

Quote from: Vortech347 on October 12, 2016, 12:01:06 AM

Totally. Both of my SC cars make 2 more PSI of boost at sea level on density alone. Someone's we get lucky when it gets cold and we'll get an extra lb of fun. Our dyno correction factors here are usually 15-17%.

Right, but that would be for a car that doesn't limit the output.

On my tunes I set boost limits and load limits.

In the stock SHO strategies Ford uses boost limits and load and torque limits

Setting boost by commanded tq is the way to go actually and what ford does...It delivers the most smooth power and a consistent car at all elevations but boost will  change with that model..

In the tuning world people say " I want 12 psi" or whatever it is they want....I wanted about the same psi from 2000-6000 RPM...It's just what I like to see...When people see boost all over the place they think there is something wrong

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on October 12, 2016, 12:28:38 AM
Quote from: Vortech347 on October 12, 2016, 12:01:06 AM

Right, but that would be for a car that doesn't limit the output.

On my tunes I set boost limits and load limits.

In the stock SHO strategies Ford uses boost limits and load and torque limits

Setting boost by commanded tq is the way to go actually and what ford does...It delivers the most smooth power and a consistent car at all elevations but boost will  change with that model..

In the tuning world people say " I want 12 psi" or whatever it is they want....I wanted about the same psi from 2000-6000 RPM...It's just what I like to see...When people see boost all over the place they think there is something wrong
So.... Here is a question for you... Is load considered the total amount of torque output calculated by the ECU?

A couple questions then and pardon my ignorance...

A: In all my logs load almost exactly mirrors what my intake manifold map sensor reads from a boost perspective...is load also accounting for air density (altitude, temp, humidity, etc) and also timing advance?

B:  If in tuning these cars, load limits are set, and I notice that in some tunes the throttle blade is used to control total load production, then does it matter if the charge is cooler or warmer if the car is going to limit load anyway?

Thanks in advance Bradley!

ZSHO

Here is a chart for reference and it starts at 14.7psi which is 0  but for every 2000ft it drops down 1psi which then equals to 13.7psi. IDK.  Z                     

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|