• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Snow Pump Failed

Started by Scott4957, June 02, 2016, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Glad I came across this thread... saved me some headaches apparently... The alky kit from LME is pretty pricey...

sholxgt

I do not know much about them, but there are also AEM meth kits available.  I believe Unleashed started to carry them.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Rockstar04

Quote from: Scott4957 on June 02, 2016, 05:12:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5dFWH5MoJY

Quote from: SHOdded on June 02, 2016, 05:44:19 PM
BTW, the video is titled ... Disassemble AEM 30-3015 / Snow Performance / Aquamist Water/Methanol Injection Pump

This makes it seem that Snow, AEM, and Aquamist all use the same (very similar) pumps, so you may still have problems with the brushes. If a pump fails during a WOT pull, no matter how good their warranty is, its not going to replace your engine,
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

sholxgt

Quote from: Rockstar04 on September 06, 2016, 01:38:47 PM

BTW, the video is titled ... Disassemble AEM 30-3015 / Snow Performance / Aquamist Water/Methanol Injection Pump

This makes it seem that Snow, AEM, and Aquamist all use the same (very similar) pumps, so you may still have problems with the brushes. If a pump fails during a WOT pull, no matter how good their warranty is, its not going to replace your engine,

All/Any pump can fail.  Users on here report no catastrophic failure from the pump stopping.  The car just pulls a ton of timing to protect itself.

The real issue is finding a company that supports their product and honors the warranty.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Sabtaj1

My snow pump is a pile.  Just ordered a Devils own pump to run.  If that shits out too I will try the Alky Controls pump if it will work with my stage 3 controller...  Just hope devils own warranty is better than snow cause they suck
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on September 06, 2016, 01:43:00 PM
Quote from: Rockstar04 on September 06, 2016, 01:38:47 PM

All/Any pump can fail.  Users on here report no catastrophic failure from the pump stopping.  The car just pulls a ton of timing to protect itself.

The real issue is finding a company that supports their product and honors the warranty.
I wouldn't rely on that to be my guide. Things are moving real fast when those pumps fail and its just a matter of time before a pump failure takes out a motor. Between the speed of events and a feed forward system where you are always milliseconds behind whats actually going on I would say
luck has played a factor so far.

hawkeye93

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on September 28, 2016, 04:06:30 AM
My snow pump is a pile.  Just ordered a Devils own pump to run.  If that shits out too I will try the Alky Controls pump if it will work with my stage 3 controller...  Just hope devils own warranty is better than snow cause they suck

They are the same pump.  Both companies use an Aquatec 5800 series pump.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

FoMoCoSHO

I'm gonna make a wild guess subpar pump reliability is the reason LME uses ALKY.

Sabtaj1

Quote from: hawkeye93 on September 28, 2016, 01:24:46 PM
Quote from: Sabtaj1 on September 28, 2016, 04:06:30 AM

They are the same pump.  Both companies use an Aquatec 5800 series pump.

Yea, I understand that.  But I hadn't heard back from alky yet and needed one ASAP.  I'm sure it'll be fine.
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

bamsho

As Mike (bpd) has told me, there is about a 2 year duty cycle on the Alky control pumps.  That is why he has a spare pump at home and when the one on the car quits, he swaps out and sends it back to alky for a rebuild.  You have the cost up front, but then it cost half as much to get it rebuilt and you always have one on hand.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Vortech347

A failing methanol kit cost me a $3000 shortblock in my fox.  It was fantastic that it added 73rwhp but just the simple boost switch not activating caused detonation that broke a piston ringland.  I was INSANELY lucky because the almost 2" curved piece magically went out of the exhaust valve and didn't beat the s*** out of everything.

After that I removed it all and put it on the shelf.  My dad still has a snow kit on his 05 Roush, it's a 100% stock car with a non-ic Vortech kit and we picked up about 50rwhp with the kit and a pulley a few steps down.  However the system will often loose it's prime when the car sits for a few weeks so I've trained my dad to kick the boost switch on until he hears it spray in the intake.

I helped tune his car and we have the Air Charge temp sensor set to pull massive timing if it so much as gets past the 135 temp it's at when the meth/water flows.

There are some very good elaborate sensor flow type kits available but they aren't cheap.  I was never motivated enough to get one.  After a few small changes to my setup I was able to make enough power anyway to split my block without the meth.

Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0