• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Spark plug well seal

Started by Blackcell06, September 18, 2016, 02:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackcell06

2013 sho

While changing my plugs I discovered one of my spark plug wells was full of oil. It is the middle cylinder closest to the firewall.

Anyone ever change these and would they be something a amateur could do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 SHO
Livernois Tune

ZSHO

Welcome aboard and please setup an INTRO for yourself by following the below link with your current vehicle and any mods you may have and definitely that middle cylinder is prone to leaking,how many miles on her?  do you have an esp warranty? the rear middle cylinder is # 2.  Z    http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

L1gerZero

The same thing happened to me when I first got the car, I tried replacing the old one but I was never able to get it to seat back in right. Being the #2 cylinder though, that's going to be a rough one to get to. I believe the new seal is only $8 through ford.
2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0 AWD

ZSHO

It probably be wiser to replace the whole rear valve cover while your there or depending on the current mileage you have.  Z     http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/engine-cat/engine-parts-scat

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Blackcell06

Thanks all for replies-
I just bought it a few weeks ago with 69xxx miles on it.

it is cylinder 2. I brought it into the ford garage and it does need a valve cover gasket.According to ford this part has been repaired 2 other times and i just went over the motorcraft warranty on the latest replacment so it will cost me about $400 to fix.

I can however put full coverage Ford warranty on it for $2900 so i may still do this prior to the repair. I usually only keep a vehicle for 2 years /30k miles so i am still trying to calculate if it would be worth it...

Can i ask if this forum had alot of bot issues is that why there is so many verifacation steps to make a post? Will those go away when i reach a certain level?
2013 SHO
Livernois Tune

ZSHO

Quote from: Blackcell06 on September 27, 2016, 07:35:47 PM
Thanks all for replies-

it is cylinder 2. I brought it into the ford garage and it does need a valve cover gasket.According to ford this part has been repaired 2 other times and i just went over the motorcraft warranty on the latest replacment so it will cost me about $400 to fix.

I can however put full coverage Ford warranty on it for $2900 so i may still do this prior to the repair. I usually only keep a vehicle for 2 years /30k miles so i am still trying to calculate if it would be worth it...

Can i ask if this forum had alot of bot issues is that why there is so many verifacation steps to make a post? Will those go away when i reach a certain level?
Its a security feature that will go away after( five) posts... BTW 2,900 seems a bit high for the premium care ESP and IMO you can probably get a better deal from this site.  Z     http://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

Blackcell06

Quote from: ZSHO on September 27, 2016, 07:42:49 PM
Quote from: Blackcell06 on September 27, 2016, 07:35:47 PM
Thanks all for replies-

Its a security feature that will go away after( five) posts... BTW 2,900 seems a bit high for the premium care ESP and IMO you can probably get a better deal from this site.  Z     http://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

Thanks for the link! Ill check it out! Sorry for my short answers(kids running around while i type) :)

So you think with 69k miles and say if i want to keep it untill 90k an extended warranty may be a good idea? As far as mods go i did already do the stage 1 from livernois and i do not expect to do anything else to it.

Edit: I went through the site and yea its $900 less then the dealer. It says a inspection is required, does that mean they wouldn't cover the valve seal?
2013 SHO
Livernois Tune

SHOdded

I doubt they will pull plugs or coils, but they cetainly will be looking for auditory and visual clues of something amiss.  Meaning a possible lift check and very likely a road test, not unlike a state inspection.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Blackcell06

good to know. Maybe paying the extra couple hundred to get it from a dealer I know may be helpful :) Thanks for your time.

@Shodded I am new to the ecoboost\sho scene. Which Forums do you frequent the most and recommend for a SHO owner? I know you responded to my cross post on the other site and i appreciate that, but id rather not have to double post each time :)!
2013 SHO
Livernois Tune

SHOdded

I am on both here and shoforum as you already know.  Some other members are on both as well.  But our aim on this forum is to be the #1 goto site, but there is good info and help on both sites.  You dont have to choose, if you feel you are not getting enough responses on one, try the other.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Just chiming in because I had the same leak.  I recommend the warranty and I recommend having the dealer do the repair.  It took the mechanic two attempts to get mine to seal.  He said that the seals have to be just right or they leak.

Since yours has been repaired twice in the past, I would ask if you can get the newer style valve cover as well.  I think that Ford warranty calls for two attempts before retrofitting the new valve cover.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Blackcell06

Quote from: sholxgt on September 28, 2016, 10:23:12 AM
Just chiming in because I had the same leak.  I recommend the warranty and I recommend having the dealer do the repair.  It took the mechanic two attempts to get mine to seal.  He said that the seals have to be just right or they leak.

Since yours has been repaired twice in the past, I would ask if you can get the newer style valve cover as well.  I think that Ford warranty calls for two attempts before retrofitting the new valve cover.

Thanks for this. I will have the dealer fix it and get the warranty. I did find 3yr 36k mile for 2k. Which after  I thought about it makes the car as good as new for an extra 2 grand!

2013 SHO
Livernois Tune