• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Police Interceptor utility Radiator size

Started by midnightSun, September 26, 2016, 12:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnightSun

Soooo on short and long pulls with 67F ambient my coolant temps are +210 deg F .  Just cursing around temps are 191+ even with a low temp stat. Anyone know if the police interceptor utility core is thicker then the Sport version?

If not, anyone know of after markets that fit?
I might just have a custom core made to fit if not....
The water pumps all seem to the be about the same far as i can tell from bolt patterns and dimensions.
Before i start pushing this engines power past simple chip tuning i'm tackling the thermal side first.

and yes ill be taking the grill off for further testing.

Thanks
"I'm 30 min away, i'll be there in 10"
2016 Explorer Sport 3bar 93 tune.
Continental ZRY summer tires.
I pull a 30' race trailer with this little SUV at times.
2x Regional Champ!

SHOdded

Did you post your SHO info?  Don't see it in your posts :(  Add it to your signature please!

Ok, so while we await responses, MY, mileage, mods, condition of coolant, at a minimum.  Thermostat requires tune to fully utilize because you need to change the fan behavior as well.  And if you have a non-PP SHO, the option to add engine oil and trans coolers (and their value) has been established.  Are you sure there are no air bubbles in the coolant?

This brochure does mention:
"HEAVY-DUTY COOLING SYSTEM REGULATES EXTREME HEAT. An extra-large, high-volume radiator, engine oil cooler
and transmission fluid cooler work in concert with the police-calibrated fan settings, mesh grille and wide airfl ow openings
to ensure optimal operation in times of pursuit and periods of idling."
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

midnightSun

Quote from: SHOdded on September 26, 2016, 05:17:53 AM
Thermostat requires tune to fully utilize because you need to change the fan behavior as well. 

At 140+ MPH fans aren't required. ;) 

While driving, the radiator cant keep up with the amount of heat transference I require.
I could run 100% water for some better transference, but id prefer not to change the coolant each season....so a larger core it is.

Just a fyi - Sometimes a low temp thermostat can actually cause coolant to get to hot. It does this by not allowing the coolant to sit long enough in the radiator.   I also fully understand a cooling system uses pressure to further raise the boiling point. The highest i've recorded is 240F this summer....i took my foot off the gas at that point. I don't need seals and o-rings melting. If this is happening at 14lbs of boost, bad things are going to happen when i add power to this thing. :)   
2x Regional Champ!

sholxgt

Midnight, which EB vehicle do you have?  It helps us to answer your questions if we know which vehicle you have.  I've seen several people ask you in several different threads without a reply.

Based on your question, I'm guessing an Explorer Sport?  How about a pic or two?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

midnightSun

Quote from: sholxgt on September 26, 2016, 12:22:15 PM
Midnight, which EB vehicle do you have?  It helps us to answer your questions if we know which vehicle you have.  I've seen several people ask you in several different threads without a reply.

Based on your question, I'm guessing an Explorer Sport?  How about a pic or two?

Ok its been updated to include my info.  Yes its a Explorer sport. I pull a race trailer with this little truck sometimes.
2x Regional Champ!

sholxgt

Your cruising temps seem high for some reason.  I'm not seeing that kind of heat with my Reische thermostat.  Which low temp thermostat do you have?  Maybe it's not flowing enough volume or, as you said, too much volume?

I'd also take a look at airlfow.  Make sure that nothing is blocking the flow of air to the radiator.  You may also want to experiment with removing the weather stripping on the rear of the hood so that it can move more air through the engine compartment.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

Here is a cool article for ya and stay safe my friend.  Z     The P.I. Utility is limited to a top speed of 131 mph with the base V-6 and 148 mph for the EcoBoost V-6. Agencies can ask for the 131-mph governing on the higher-performance engine at no extra cost. The civilian Explorer with the 3.5L engine is limited to 120 mph.   http://www.government-fleet.com/article/story/2016/06/police-interceptor-utility-vs-ford-explorer.aspx

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

Best I can tell, the Utility and Explorer Sport have the same radiators.  I'm sure the article about the PI vehicles is more based on the non-turbo cars that get upgraded.

The primary difference is whether your vehicle came equipped with the engine oil cooler or not.  Here's the same part shown for both the Explorer and PI Utility....

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/police-interceptor-utility/db5z8005a/2016-year/base-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/cooling-system-cat/radiator-and-components-scat/?part_name=radiator

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/explorer/db5z8005a/2016-year/sport-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/cooling-system-cat/cooling-system-scat/?part_name=radiator

If you don't have the engine oil cooler, that would make a good upgrade for your use.

midnightSun

I have to retest.

This SUV only has about 5000 miles on it. Its maybe 2 months old.

#1 issue ... i had the dealer replace the oil with full synthetic at purchase as the Suv had 300 miles on it.  The bottom of the friggen dip stick isn't even wet. So I've added 2 qts of oil. WTF!  Thats a major 7^ck up. I'll change it all tomorrow when i get home from work in the AM.

#2 The wiring harness clips were broken above the radiator. Some giant loom with a big circular plug that isn't connected to anything was basically forcefully holding the 5 cooling bypass flaps closed. The air flow could have been lifting the flaps, but it was pretty tight against the flaps because it was still attached to the other loom running on top of the RAD. I rerouted the harness and drilled two holes in the RADs extra plastic to use as mounts to better secure all of the loom in that area and pull it away from the Rad openings.  Not saying this is enough to flow a ton of air but mixed with the probable high heat from lack of oil it might help.

The Radiator has two coolers attached to it. One is an inter-cooler the other looks to be oil or transmission. I have the ford service manual on CD so ill verify what it really is later without tracing lines back.  If your reading this...thanks for taking an interest.
2x Regional Champ!

midnightSun

And yes i checked the oil on a level surface. :P
2x Regional Champ!

sholxgt

I think that, once you fix the airflow/oil issues, your heat problem will go away. 

It's been stupid hot this summer and, even with WOT runs, I don't see coolant temps going above 190ish.  That's with my MKS that has much less cooling capacity than your Sport.  The only heat related thing that I don't like are the IAT's.  Those are much more difficult to solve since there's not an FMIC option.

midnightSun

Quote from: sholxgt on September 26, 2016, 01:12:44 PM
Best I can tell, the Utility and Explorer Sport have the same radiators.  I'm sure the article about the PI vehicles is more based on the non-turbo cars that get upgraded.

The primary difference is whether your vehicle came equipped with the engine oil cooler or not.  Here's the same part shown for both the Explorer and PI Utility....

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/police-interceptor-utility/db5z8005a/2016-year/base-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/cooling-system-cat/radiator-and-components-scat/?part_name=radiator

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/explorer/db5z8005a/2016-year/sport-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/cooling-system-cat/cooling-system-scat/?part_name=radiator

If you don't have the engine oil cooler, that would make a good upgrade for your use.

Looks to be the exact same picture. The bottom of the rad has blemishes in the exact same location for each. I have a automotive recycle center near me. With most projects i usually buy the parts from them so someone can copy them.  Its now on my list to stop by and compare them.
2x Regional Champ!

midnightSun

2x Regional Champ!