• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

So this arrived today

Started by AnotherGreenFusion, September 22, 2016, 11:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherGreenFusion

and it cost a small kings ransom, I am both excited and hopeful i haven't just dumped a bunch of cash down the drain.

'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

Zalvern

Quote from: AnotherGreenFusion on September 22, 2016, 11:08:28 PM
and it cost a small kings ransom, I am both excited and hopeful i haven't just dumped a bunch of cash down the drain.

You'll be thinking about all the past products instead in regards to that! I felt the VERY same way when starting on just ACES IV...Welcome to the Fluid elite club once you get it in. Don't worry, this stuff is legit serious.

JGR over at 2g has been messaging me asking if he's sure it isn't a "placebo" because he's already starting to feel the gasoline formula alone.

I see you got the EFI version of ACES IV, which is good for cars well deep into the mileage and...probably carbon-caked on the intake valves (Catch cans will NEVER be enough on their own). That helps start cleaning them back up along with the Motor Oil. I simply was given regular ACES IV since my motor was new from the get go.

Clean up your sooty chrome exhaust housings if you haven't, for once it kicks in you'll see how much cleaner they run. Every single Fusion I've seen has nasty dirty sooty exhaust housings. The MKZs as well...except for mine! Well I can't say how the 3.0T is without ACES IV but I don't want to find out anyways. I know the stock 2.0 Engines are rich sooty pigs however. Even tuned, it still would soot up just not as fast.

AnotherGreenFusion

You and Brian sold me, well that and 3 weeks of digging into forums all the way back to some of the early Dodge communities that use his stuff. I have been tuning cars since about 2001 and working on them since I was 17. I have never seen a fluid that does not start a flame war with people split near 50/50 on "it sucks" vs "its awesome". There seem to be only 2 kinds of people when it comes to Brian's fluid.

people who have used BND and people who haven't. If you use it, you are hooked. That is pretty impressive particularly for the flame ridden internet.

I have put a ton of work in and I am running my car harder than any car I have before and want to take care of it as best as possible while getting the most out of my effort this season and in the future. Being an AMSOil user I'm already a sucker for higher grade fluids despite some naysayers. I decided I might as well go all in. It's a bit cheaper to get it all up front anyway it seems. This may be my best change after a tune and IC.

I trust my research but the critic in me is screaming. I will let the logs, oil analysis and track slips be my guide.

JGR mentioned my AcesIV was a different color, only thing I can think of is I stressed to Brian how hot I run the car and how much I push it with many trips to the track and lots of runs + DD duty in boston traffic. I will trust his judgement there. I do notice brian marked my trans fluid as 6f55 fluid. I am sure it is likely fine but I think I will call tomorrow just too make sure.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

FoMoCoSHO

I made a similar purchase a while back.

I Didn't get around to switching everything as I ended up not much driving for an extended period.

Still need to do coolant, RDU, and PTU which is sitting in my garage.

I'm gonna swap out to a 160 stat and 1 step colder plugs at the same time.

Need to order more oil and get some tranny fluid.

Hope my ACES IV shows up quick as I just used up the last of my race formula.

Zalvern

Yeah EFI version is to help with those higher crankcase blow by chances, which will result from all the things you've mentioned.  But more importantly the fact your engine will probably have some intake crud to brake down.  Might be in your interest to monitor your intake valves over time.

The trans fluid is the same replacement as 6F55 since both 6F35 and 6F55 use Mercon LV. Chemically, it'll be the same and I'm sure that is what Brian intended.

I'm still constantly pulling my oil dipstick and waiting to see it become darker...but it hasn't yet. The trans oil still smells just as fresh after putting miles on it too.  Mercon LV smells worse in comparision.

Before trying a 100 octane tune, for best protection I would get all the fluids in. I only was testing with just ACES IV to check for any misfires or knocks under WOT, but they did not happen. That was my selling point I could believe in ACES and QuantumBlue.

All I have left is the AWD fluids. It was for the very reasons as you habe said, I did too prior. Looking for any bad proven results against the products but nothing...all users have been on the good side and no blamed motor failures. I stuck with Amsoil but looks like its time to say sayonara.

Plus all his QuantumBlue goods keep warranty in tact as an extra bonus.

Trying to get booked at an AWD dyno just to see what power I'm really putting out.

SHOdded

Performance anxiety, eh?  LOL!  The hard part is going about it methodically so you can get kind of an objective idea how much return on investment there is.  In my own selfish interest, I want you to proceed apace :) as I am in the process of "upgrading" one of the cars in the fleet and highly value you all's contributions.  TIA.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

I run ACES IV is all three of my vehicles.  Its kind of a pain to constantly and meticulously add it to the tank each time, but I continue to do it because it works.

My cars are stock, so the only tangible evidence I can provide is MPG
In my wife's escape (ecoboost) she sees an immediate MPG increase for the tank. 
The SHO doesnt put up quite the same increase, but its there.  Some preliminary datalogging showed that I also maxed out the learned octane ratio which should be good when it comes time to tune (and I think proves the claim of 102 octane).  Prior to ACES, the LOR was close to, but not quite maxed using Exxon 93
I also run it in my 95 Mustang GT (5.0L) however do not drive it enough to notice if ACES does anything here.  It acts as a fuel stabilizer in this case, so I dont have to put in Sta-Bil
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Zalvern

I actually did an 87+ACESIV vs 93 raw vs 93+ACESIV on my MKZ not too long ago.

The moment I put 87+ACES mix in, it wasn't too long before my LOR dropped from 100% (I use % format in FORScan). It declined to 67%. Car also did have a clear moment it retard power and timing quite harshly. I started this car with its very first tank fill on ACESIV + 93 Octane (Shell V-Power).

I did a PCM reflash which resets the LOR to 0% and relearn. After awhile, the vehicle went up to 100% But it still had 87+ACESIV mix going.

After some time, I switched back to 93 only. Sure enough without ACES IV, my LOR declined to 48%...ouch. Not to mention the butt dyno could definitely feel reduction in performance. Seeing it decline, I immediately added in the missing ACES dose and reset PCM to recalibrate LOR back to 100% faster.

So at least on my MKZ, while still stock tuned, it definitely measures fuel stability changes for octane performance above 93. The cap on octane must be over 100 or so if the car is retrained with a PCM reflash.

That's a tip I tell anyone if you can and have access to FORScan is to reset your PCM parameters to readjust fuel quality faster. Otherwise the car will retard due to being adapted to a higher quality, then dropping in said quality. Also, I noticed a battery disconnect does not fully reset everything. LOR stays even if the battery is disconnected.

Its an extra step at gas stations but so worth it. My MPG average on my MKZ is 2+ mpg over EPA estimate WITH 80 mph speed averages. It would be higher if I didn't enjoy such spirited driving! It got higher as I added the QuantumBlue products in.

J-Will

48% with 93 seems low. Mine was in the 90s with just 93

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

sholxgt

Mine is 96% with just quality 93 octane.  48% would have me questioning the quality of the fuel and the accuracy of the reading.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Zalvern

Here are my thoughts as to why it happen as it did:

As I mentioned before, without a full PCM reset on the LOR, the car will adapt and learn based on whatever average knock sensor readings it decides to be safe for timing and power adding.

During the retrain period, LOR increases by 25% at various mileage intervals. Usually it achieves 100% between 100 to 150 miles, from my reset playthroughs. Afterwards it stays as long knock readings stay stable from the sensors.

Once at 100%, it will stay there until knock readings become worse more frequently (due to a drop in fuel quality of some kind). The PCM then will penalize the LOR with an estimation. But without a reset, it will never go back to 100% especially if it got used to a higher quality fuel that it now is not getting anymore. Who or where you get fuel from will vary.

Raw pump gas quality is unpredictable. As things like "winter blends" can make it impossible to get back to 100% until you get that better summer blend the car grew on. Even then it gets very sensitive to careful in regenerating LOR. The PCM does not want to risk knock coming back that is detrimental to misfire and detonation.

My dramatic drop very well was due to how the car trained on knock readings with 93+ACESIV. 87+ACESIV is also better than just 93 alone. But ACESIV has more than just octane boost going for it. That is why the withdrawal symptom was harsh on my MKZ. The cylinder lubrication and cooling is very helpful. This car was broken in on ACESIV to help with its growth.

Hence why I feel LOR retraining is a good reason to reset the adaptive PCM from time to time. It is measured by the knock sensors to determine how much quality timing it can perform.

I feel ACESIV helps improves the chance of getting that "factory freak vehicle" that seems more rare to get out of a newly built car. So it was a big deal to get my first tank with ACESIV in it going. Its a small window of opportunity, even if its not fully factual.

AnotherGreenFusion

So I clumsily added about 3oz to a 3/4 tank then topped it off with my usual 93. Had no idea where the emergency funnel was so I used the gas pump to open the valve with each ounce and let the fluid in. Likely wasted some this way. Now that I know where the funnel is I will use it next time.

On the way to work my gas mileage went up by .4 without changing my driving style. WAY too small of a sample to really say it was the additive but that is a change from what I am used to seeing. Odd for sure.

LOR by %? I have been looking at the raw number. I assume 1 is 0% and -1 is 100%?
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

sholxgt

Not sure.  With the SCT it shows "Octane Adjust Ratio."  Mine is .96 which I take to mean 96%.  I interpret that to mean an increase in octane would have little affect for me without tuning to accommodate for the increase.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Zalvern

Quote from: AnotherGreenFusion on September 23, 2016, 12:59:38 PM
So I clumsily added about 3oz to a 3/4 tank then topped it off with my usual 93. Had no idea where the emergency funnel was so I used the gas pump to open the valve with each ounce and let the fluid in. Likely wasted some this way. Now that I know where the funnel is I will use it next time.

On the way to work my gas mileage went up by .4 without changing my driving style. WAY too small of a sample to really say it was the additive but that is a change from what I am used to seeing. Odd for sure.

LOR by %? I have been looking at the raw number. I assume 1 is 0% and -1 is 100%?

Ha...that funnel is sneaky especially if never told about it! I keep mine now in the side door compartment bagged, since its used a lot more often.

Anyways yes 100% in FORScan is same as -1.0 as how it is read in other formats. It estimates to the hundredth, so 100.00% in full. Numerical reads -1.0 to 1.0, I just like percent format personally. But can read it in Numerical mode.

FORScan just isnt fun or pretty as the others but nice for its Ford IDS quality and edits.

RichieRich1042

It's funny, when I first went on 2GF, I found the guy who was the farthest along and said "Ok that's who I want to catch." At that time it was Sean's.  Now I see that it is you my friend lol.  You have become the new top dog.
2013 Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost AWD
Proudly supporting:
Mountune (Randy) | Level's Performance | Injen | Turbosmart | Boomba Racing | Steeda |
Cordova Motorsports | DMB UK | Brisk Racing