• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What is our intercooler drop pressure?

Started by Gray Brick, September 18, 2016, 02:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Brick

Has anyone tested the pressure drop between the inlet and outlet of the SHO/ Flex stock intercooler?

I am sure it gets worse as modifications are made and boost is increased by tunes etc. 

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

I'm curious too because anyway we can lessen that, the more efficient our tiny turbos are.

It would also be nice to know the starting point in case anyone decides to build us a FMIC so we have a starting reference point.

Gray Brick

I am asking because stock equipment is usually at its limit at stock boost levels.

I am seeing 16-18 psi after tune and mods... the weak link is probably the stock CAC at this point.

Looking into fitting a water to air intercooler in place of the air to air stock unit.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller

SHOdded

I suppose you could fit an extra MAP sensor in before the IC, and measure voltages off of that to see how the PCM would see it?  The data might not be the most accurate, but would provide a valid comparison, I would think.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Gray Brick

Measured the pressure drop across my intercooler to be 3-4 psi.
I am running 18psi boost.

The stock intercooler is being replaced soon with a water to air intercooler.

This should free up some horsepower with the stock turbos.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: Gray Brick on October 10, 2016, 04:26:52 AM
Measured the pressure drop across my intercooler to be 3-4 psi.
I am running 18psi boost.

The stock intercooler is being replaced soon with a water to air intercooler.

This should free up some horsepower with the stock turbos.
nice! would it be beneficial at all to run a water to air intercooler in series with the stock IC providing the water setup had little to no pressure drop? i've been looking at this kit
http://www.frozenboost.com/liquid-air-intercooler/water-to-air-intercooler-p-1034.html
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Wouldn't want the cooling to get TOO efficient, so the system has to have checks and balances.  Please, no F150 history repeat here LOL.

And the problem with an additional IC is lack of space in the SHO layout.  Flex/XSport, more feasible.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on October 10, 2016, 03:43:04 PM
Wouldn't want the cooling to get TOO efficient, so the system has to have checks and balances.  Please, no F150 history repeat here LOL.

And the problem with an additional IC is lack of space in the SHO layout.  Flex/XSport, more feasible.
i know space is the major factor. but please elaborate on cooling being too efficient . . not too sure what you mean by that
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Check the F150 TSBs.  Ford actually had to put in a fix to reduce intercooler efficiency as it was creating too much precipitate from the air passing through the intercooler and causing all kinds of herky jerky effects within the engine as a result of that precipitate getting sucked into the engine.  I don't know if, with the fix in place, the F150 still needs it's intercooler drilled to let precipitate exit the IC, which started as an interim fix while the TSB was in development.

Gray Brick

I will be bypassing the stock CAC and using a large water to air.  In time it will be replaced by a large heat exchanger.

I am not concerned with being too efficient.  The oil\crud will not have a chance to accumulate with my setup.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

FoMoCoSHO

How were you able to measure it?

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on October 10, 2016, 03:53:48 PM
Check the F150 TSBs.  Ford actually had to put in a fix to reduce intercooler efficiency as it was creating too much precipitate from the air passing through the intercooler and causing all kinds of herky jerky effects within the engine as a result of that precipitate getting sucked into the engine.  I don't know if, with the fix in place, the F150 still needs it's intercooler drilled to let precipitate exit the IC, which started as an interim fix while the TSB was in development.
that makes sense.didn't know about that TSB thanks for the heads up

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Gray Brick

Connected hose prior and after intercooler and connected it to a differential pressure gauge.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex