• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rx Monster Catch Can on XSport 2.0 - No Drill (Almost)

Started by MiWiAu, September 14, 2016, 09:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Here's my spin on the Rx Monster Can install for my 2013 Explorer Sport. This isn't intended to be a step-by-step "how to" but should outline how I completed my install.

A HUGE thanks to JimiJak and glock-coma and all their tips in this thread: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2536.0.html.

Instructions for Explorer fascia removal are located here: http://blueox.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/BX2632-2.pdf

I purchased a used 2013 Explorer Sport on 8/20/16 with 28,500 miles. Shortly after purchase, I noticed some pooling oil on the front valve cover under the throttle body. I pulled the hose and found it oil soaked. I also pulled the hose at the CAC outlet and found some evidence of the greenish intercooler snot, so I decided I'd try a catch can.

I ordered a 2011-2014 Explorer Sport kit from TeamRXP.

The kit contents did not meet my install needs, so I purchased some extras.

This is a schematic of the system provided by TeamRXP. I annotated the diagram with red arrows indicating the direction of flow for each of the three OCC circuits as well as the CSS.

Here's where I mounted the can (behind the drivers side front fender) using an existing hole.

Here's the mounted can. I had to drill 2 holes in the short 90-degree bracket provided by TeamRXP. I used provided hardware to mount the billet clamp to the bracket.

Here's a view of the routings under the airbox.

This is the elbow I built to provide vacuum to one of the OCC circuits. I had to vent the rear BOV to ATM and I used the 1" connection on the charge pipe to avoid drilling any new holes.

Rather than drill the airbox lid, I decided to vent the CCS to ATM (WI is a non-inspection emissions state). This required drilling a single hole to mount an auxiliary breather filter.

Here's the CSS and filter installed.

This is the remote drain setup - same routing discovered by JimiJak.

And here's the finished product!

Cheers!

2013 XSport

glock-coma

Great write up! I can see this getting added to the "how to" section

I would keep an eye on that breather setup on the css.
I tried to do that at first but it kept getting soaked with oil.
Eventually I lengthened the tubing going to and it helped but didn't stop bleeding into it.

I now have a check valve in between the css and my stock air box and no more oil.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

MiWiAu

Quote from: glock-coma on September 14, 2016, 10:29:34 PM
Great write up! I can see this getting added to the "how to" section

I would keep an eye on that breather setup on the css.
I tried to do that at first but it kept getting soaked with oil.
Eventually I lengthened the tubing going to and it helped but didn't stop bleeding into it.

I now have a check valve in between the css and my stock air box and no more oil.

10-4, thanks, glock! If I start getting oil here, I figured the next step would be to add a check valve to see if that stops it. When I mentioned my plans to RXP to vent the css to atm, they advised that the css would intermittently "burp" without a check valve. I suspected this would be the case considering I have the barb oriented at 6 o'clock and created a low spot for any oil in the separation media to drain. The mods are never done. ;)

Thanks for helping pave the way with this installation! :)
2013 XSport

ZSHO

Great writeup indeed but personally have a 25'foot steel braided hose which acts better against heat suppression and  heat soak and will not collapse overtime.  Z :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MiWiAu

I did my first 500mi drain and recovered approximately 1/2 tsp from the can.

On the front charge pipe, I'm trying to pull vacuum from where the OE clean side connection was. I wonder if this port geometry was designed to minimize vacuum to prevent pulling oil from the clean side?

As an alternative, I could connect to the front BOV port, and perhaps this would pull greater vacuum under boost. Has anyone with a vacuum gauge measured the difference between these two ports under boost?
2013 XSport

glock-coma

I have not,  but they are right next to each other.
The BOV outlet is obviously larger.
Thought I'd add a pic for reference.

glock-coma

Durning the warmer months I barely get anything.
The colder months is where you'll see results big time.

MiWiAu

Quote from: glock-coma on September 30, 2016, 04:50:59 PM
Durning the warmer months I barely get anything.
The colder months is where you'll see results big time.

Cool, thanks, Glock. It's been a while since I was under there looking. I'm in SE Wisconsin, so it will be interesting to see how much the accumulations change as we move into winter.
2013 XSport

ZSHO

There is not to much clarity on the install procedure only for the F-150 but IMO would NOT Connect it to the front bov port and would leave it as is.  Z   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiWjVrcVBIQzdkeE0/view?usp=sharing

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

Typically at a 500 mile increment in the colder months I see 4 - 6 oz.

MiWiAu

Quote from: MiWiAu on September 14, 2016, 09:40:02 PM

Here's the CSS and filter installed.

FYI, the plastic mounting tab on the CSS filter element broke during my baseline dyno runs the other day. Evidently the rubber hose did not flex enough with motor movement and tab failed.

I will need to find a sturdier mount, a more flexible hose, and/or a different mounting location.

Once I have a solution, I will post up again, but wanted to note the defect in my initial install in the meantime. For now, the filter is zip-tied in place.
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Any pics of the 13 oz "catch" by any chance?

Discussion continued from this post
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7186.msg109691.html#msg109691
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on December 21, 2016, 12:04:33 PM

I saved it in a clear plastic bottle, but didn't have a chance to take a picture this morning before heading out for work. I will grab a snap of it when I get home tonight and post it up. It was partially separated this morning in the measuring cup before I transferred containers, and it looked like a thin layer of oil at the top and (presumably) mostly dirty water below it.

I have another bottle that has all the combined contents of everything I've drained since installation on 9/11/16 (4,118 mi), not including what I drained out last night. It has been sitting stationary and undisturbed for 17 days, so I'm sure it's fairly well separated (haven't looked in a while).
2013 XSport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on December 21, 2016, 12:04:33 PM

As requested, sir!

These are 18.5 oz Lipton Pure Leaf tea bottles. The one on the left has been undisturbed since 12/04.

Here's a closer look:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport