• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo Leaking Oil

Started by Frittles, September 14, 2016, 12:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frittles

Picked up 'my new' (20k km) '15 X Sport last week. Love it. Took it by my mechanic today for a look over. He came across some oil on the back turbo as he was feeling up the engine near the firewall. He made a 'weird' noise at the same time. Seriously. He knows his cars. Maybe too well I think sometimes... ANYWAY...

OK... How many things could cause this issue? Wondering if anyone with a recent model has see this...

Thank you and bye for now!

AJP turbo

Hhmmm...nice post...stinky shits and sexual noises..Right up my alley. Thanks for posting
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

To fail that early, most likely the part was faulty to begin with.  A modified exhaust system with too little backpressure has been posited as an alternate scenario.  Did the mechanic note whether such modifications had been made?

Noticed any blue smoke from the exhaust while under acceleration, or a whine/screech of any sort?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

QuickSilver

Last year while waiting to pick the kids up from school on an exceptionally hot SoCal day, engine idling (so I could run the AC) for about 10-12 minutes, my son comes to get in and says, 'Dad, Quicksilver is smoking'.  I got out and looked and sue enough, it was puffing some white oil smoke at idle. Popped the hood and looked and it is clearly my front turbo and the lowest exhaust downpipe stud is covered in oil, almost enough to drip. The leak was clearly internal(like past the seals?) and was burning off the majority of the oil but enough was condensing to drip out of the turbine housing and soak that stud.  After this, it didn't happen again for a couple months, then never again.  Until yesterday :-(   I was idling maybe 3 minutes in a parking lot and puffing white smoke again.  At 70K miles I'm  out of warranty so if repair is needed I'll probably throw on the billet wheel upgrade turbos.
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

metroplex

This happened to my 2014 SHO as well. That rear turbo charge pipe hose connection was so saturated with oil that it was seeping through the hose. I replaced it with a Turbosmart silicone adapter but the oil is coming from the turbo.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

avidmotion

Mine gets a screech sound on gear shift into 2nd about 50% of the time. Been doing it for 3 yrs, worse when oil firty or low....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

xartic1

Fairly certain my rear turbo is leaking a bit of oil too. Initially thought it was my PTU but it seems to be coming from a point higher than that.

At this point I'm not even sure which one would be easier to fix. Hopefully it's just a small crack in one of the hoses since I was missing the bumper air vent for the rear turbo.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas