• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shudder on WOT 1-2 shift

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, September 13, 2016, 09:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Engine & trans warmed up before the "event"?  Hope the buyer doesn't scare THAT easy.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on January 18, 2017, 10:41:11 PM
Engine & trans warmed up before the "event"?  Hope the buyer doesn't scare THAT easy.

Plenty warm, shouldn't have been an issue...

If I was test driving a car and it stuttered hard shifting I wouldn't be interested either... I would immediately be concerned about the transmission or the differential...

Worst case scenario is I just run a less aggressive tune so it doesn't happen...or I just pickup another SCT device and ping AJP to update my tunes with the new serial..

Who knows..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

It's an omen.....Don't sell LOL
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

rowland2004

If you have a livernois tune I was with you changing fluid out, tires pressures,my plugs etc. my car had 8k on it and bought their stage 4 package.
To nothing I did got rid of the Wot 1-2 shudder.

Went back and forth with them and always got the response " we have this tune on hundreds of other SHOs and no one else has a problem"

Then got a different tune and haven't had the issue since.  To me the one tune fits all with no data logging isn't going to Always work.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: rowland2004 on January 19, 2017, 03:53:55 AM
If you have a livernois tune I was with you changing fluid out, tires pressures,my plugs etc. my car had 8k on it and bought their stage 4 package.
To nothing I did got rid of the Wot 1-2 shudder.

Went back and forth with them and always got the response " we have this tune on hundreds of other SHOs and no one else has a problem"

Then got a different tune and haven't had the issue since.  To me the one tune fits all with no data logging isn't going to Always work.

You got a different tune from them? Or a different tuner?

rowland2004

Yes I got a softer 1-2 shift. I will be going with unleashed in spring. Took a ride in my buddies with torrie's tune and it's night and day. Also like that you can datalog with the SCT and send info in for adjustments.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: rowland2004 on January 19, 2017, 06:13:42 AM
Yes I got a softer 1-2 shift. I will be going with unleashed in spring. Took a ride in my buddies with torrie's tune and it's night and day. Also like that you can datalog with the SCT and send info in for adjustments.

Yea, I gonna ping them again, no reason to be running my transmission on the ragged edge.

Don't want to sell it to someone just for them to have to deal with it...

StealBlueSho

Updated tune loaded the other day from LMS to address the 1-2 stutter and gear slamming I was experiencing...

About 100 miles in and so far so good... no missed gears, slamming, or stuttering.. the shift is a bit softer but still extremely quick... haven't tried a launch yet...

SHOdded

+ve update!  Fluid topped off as they recommend?  Do you know the new vs old shift pressure by any chance?  Shifting at same rpm?  A stronger valve body might be helpful if you are looking for a DIY project HINT HINT!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on April 10, 2017, 11:10:10 AM
+ve update!  Fluid topped off as they recommend?  Do you know the new vs old shift pressure by any chance?  Shifting at same rpm?  A stronger valve body might be helpful if you are looking for a DIY project HINT HINT!

I attempted the transmission fluid increase first... they recommended half a quart over the full line to prevent fluid cavitation. This helped SOME, but not 100%... After speaking with Anthony he said that they used to see this problem with the Gen4 SHO's when it was cold but had made the change to the base 4+x tune and since then have not had any complaints. They did however go a head and adjust the the tune further, which they said already had the previous mentioned change.

Interestingly enough.. the stutter/slamming only happened AFTER the tune settled. During the learning the phase it shifted like a champ, which is very confusing to me. Why would it start having issues once the tune "settled" and why is the 4+X tune the ONLY tune that develops this shifting issue out of the 3 tuners and multiple tunes I have?  Granted... my car is a bit of a snowflake in that my strategy is very different... so it could just be something along those lines with this particular tune. Put it this way.. I wouldn't be shocked.

I don't know if my car was a beta edition or what...

Brad has mentioned several times that my strategy is quite different..
Torrie had a hard time getting it tuned...
Ford even commented on how odd my strategy was when I got it updated.. and they had to go through SEVERAL updates to get it updated...

I digress...

I have no idea what LMS changed the shift pressures too.. they keep that information guarded like Fort Knox... and as far as I can tell, the shift points have not changed...

I didn't know they made a stronger valve body for the 6F55?? I thought.. for the most part... that we have what we have at the moment... I am interested...

SHOdded

well, technically no stronger VB.  But you can add a Sonnax ZIP kit, I think it is 400$ maybe.  Definitely a DIY project if you follow the included instructions, and pay attention to detail :P

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3743-zip-kit

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehouse.com/6f50-6f55-transmission-sonnax-zip-kit-valve-body-upgrade-fits-07-ford-6f50-zip/
https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/6F50ZIP_6F50_ZIP_KIT_p/400-006f50zip.htm

rahi93

Hey guys, newbie here.

I bought a 2011 back in September 2016. Second day of owning, I noticed a slam into 2nd gear after what felt like a clutch slip. Over time this got progressively worse. A PCM reset helped for a day or two, but the problem always came back.

Luckily, I got a CarCare plan along with the car so I took a trip to the dealer. On the way there, I decided to record my trip. As soon as I felt the "slip" I looked at the dash, and the PRNDS light within the gauges went out. Dropped off to the dealer, showed them the video, and they said they'd have their trans tech look at it. He was able to replicate the issue and called me back saying "Hey I saw the rear-view camera turn on before the car slammed into gear." I never noticed that, but he did say he saw the PRNDS light go out too.

After some more tests, he diagnosed it as a faulty transmission range sensor. Replaced and haven't had the issue since.

Again, I'm a young newbie, so I may be talking out of my ass here. Just figured I'd let you guys know how I got rid of the problem.

SHOdded

very good point.  We don't often get people having TRS issues, so a mention is always good, esp with a TSB out for it & all!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: rahi93 on April 10, 2017, 11:51:12 AM
Hey guys, newbie here.

I bought a 2011 back in September 2016. Second day of owning, I noticed a slam into 2nd gear after what felt like a clutch slip. Over time this got progressively worse. A PCM reset helped for a day or two, but the problem always came back.

Luckily, I got a CarCare plan along with the car so I took a trip to the dealer. On the way there, I decided to record my trip. As soon as I felt the "slip" I looked at the dash, and the PRNDS light within the gauges went out. Dropped off to the dealer, showed them the video, and they said they'd have their trans tech look at it. He was able to replicate the issue and called me back saying "Hey I saw the rear-view camera turn on before the car slammed into gear." I never noticed that, but he did say he saw the PRNDS light go out too.

After some more tests, he diagnosed it as a faulty transmission range sensor. Replaced and haven't had the issue since.

Again, I'm a young newbie, so I may be talking out of my ass here. Just figured I'd let you guys know how I got rid of the problem.

Thanks for the info! I would be more concerned with it if the issue followed tunes... however, it does not. 3 Tuners have worked on my car...the 4+X is the only one that produces this problem and only after it settles. Leads me to believe its tune related and not so much mechanical..in any event, the newer soft shift version doesn't seem to have this problem..

Quote from: SHOdded on April 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM
well, technically no stronger VB.  But you can add a Sonnax ZIP kit, I think it is 400$ maybe.  Definitely a DIY project if you follow the included instructions, and pay attention to detail :P

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3743-zip-kit

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehouse.com/6f50-6f55-transmission-sonnax-zip-kit-valve-body-upgrade-fits-07-ford-6f50-zip/
https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/6F50ZIP_6F50_ZIP_KIT_p/400-006f50zip.htm

Thanks for the information! I read somewhere there were a couple guys that did this modification and said it wasn't worth the money..

StealBlueSho

So I have done extensive testing with various tunes and have made a few observations.....

1: The shudder on the 1st to 2nd shift corresponds DIRECTLY with the torque reduction or shift modulation when it shifts. What is that? Well... Ford, LMS, and Brad all utilize the built in method Ford uses to reduce spark(among other things) when the car shifts. This shows up as a Source Torque 7 event in a datalog. Now, you can reduce how how much shift modulation the ECU demands when it shifts... this coupled with tuning how fast and hard the transmission shifts is some of the modifications that are made with the various tunes.  I have found that when the shift modulation is reduced in how much it steps in corresponds with this shudder...

Other tuners like BCB and Unleashed remove all the torque control from the transmission and instead, manually manage the spark and other variables to achieve the same thing. Different approach to achieve similar results.

2: Adaptives in the transmission appear to play a big role in how well the transmission reacts to these changes in the torque management. AT LEAST for my vehicle... If I load the LMS tune and start hammering away, chances are I will start to shudder at the shifts. I have found that if I go easy on the car and drive it through it paces allowing the transmission to adapt, then when I do hammer on it, the issue does not present itself. I had Brad adjust this in my tune as well and had the same stuff happen to a T.

3: Since I don't daily drive my car, I tend to not allow the car to adjust to a tune before I start hammering on it... this is not much of a concern for the motor as I do let the OAR adjust, but apparently is more problematic for the transmission. Driving it to and from work when I go in (50 miles or so round trip) tends make a drastic difference in how the car shifts.

Anway... just thought I would update... we will see when winter comes and the temps drop as that was the more problematic times.