• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shudder on WOT 1-2 shift

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, September 13, 2016, 09:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Was doing some practicing brake boosting from a dig and shifting into second gear the trans would seemingly shift, then shudder for a second, and then what if feels like shift again and take off as normal. This started to occur a few nights ago and hasn't been consistent but has done it a handful of times since it started. I've done some searching and reading and i'm a little confused as if i should be diagnosing hard parts . . trans,PTU, TC, or address the issue through the tune. The car only has 14k on it and has only been tune for about 3-4 weeks but that doesn't rule out any hard part failures. I'll be loading the stock tune again soon to see if the problem still occurs at stock power levels and trans settings.
What's the consensus from others who have experienced the "shudder"? Was it a tune issue or a hard part issue?

TIA
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

I think the [Winter Blend gas]is upon us unfortunately and would try ruling that out or it being bad gas especially if your issue just started in the last few days.....do you have access to 93 octane fuel such as Shell,BP,Chevron? 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

highly doubt bad gas is the issue here. I've filled up at only one gas station since I've owned the car the past 6 weeks and it's the gas station I've been frequenting the past 5 years with all my vehicles and never had an issue winter gas or not. also, not sure how bad gas would cause intermittent shifting/shudder issues. car is not missing or sputtering and has no issue other than shifting into 2nd at WOT. seems to occur more frequently when doing a brake boost launch more than going wot from a low 5-10mph roll. hoping it's not a TC issue. I know brake boosting for too long can swell the TC but I always make sure not to stand on the brakes for more than second or two before launching.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: 8nutz8 on September 13, 2016, 11:36:18 AM
highly doubt bad gas is the issue here. I've filled up at only one gas station since I've owned the car the past 6 weeks and it's the gas station I've been frequenting the past 5 years with all my vehicles and never had an issue winter gas or not. also, not sure how bad gas would cause intermittent shifting/shudder issues. car is not missing or sputtering and has no issue other than shifting into 2nd at WOT. seems to occur more frequently when doing a brake boost launch more than going wot from a low 5-10mph roll. hoping it's not a TC issue. I know brake boosting for too long can swell the TC but I always make sure not to stand on the brakes for more than second or two before launching.
I have seen many issues with the winter-blend gasoline causing a host of issues including a shudder on this platform especially while being tuned and simply was trying to rule out the cheapest option for ya . Z . 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

What was the ambient temp when the issue occurred?  Was the car warmed up prior to WOT?  What tires are you running, how much tread, and what psi?  Insufficient traction can lead to hop/stutter.  So can aging transmission fluid.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on September 13, 2016, 03:09:46 PM
I have seen many issues with the winter-blend gasoline causing a host of issues including a shudder on this platform especially while being tuned and simply was trying to rule out the cheapest option for ya . Z .
right. I appreciate it. but I trust the gas. it's chevron 91. can't get 93 here but it's a 91 tune also so. . .

anybody else had this issue and care to speak up?

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Might need some ajp turbo tune-age
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Its the tune.

Both of mine did it but but its not been an issue since I switched.

Actually that is one of the reasons I switched, I got tired of my trans being "on murder"

Colorado-SHOBro

thanks for the replies guys. ambient temps were in the 70s and car was fully warmed up. haven't been to the track yet for times and psi at top of first is 12-14. highly doubt it's a traction issue I can barely get the tires to break loose on a brake "boosted" launch. trans fluid looks good and car only has 14k on it. trans service will happen soon regardless

my first suspect was the tune

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 13, 2016, 03:46:02 PM
Might need some ajp turbo tune-age
You'll be getting a pm sometime soon

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

2013BlackSHO

Quote from: 8nutz8 on September 13, 2016, 03:23:47 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on September 13, 2016, 03:09:46 PM
right. I appreciate it. but I trust the gas. it's chevron 91. can't get 93 here but it's a 91 tune also so. . .

anybody else had this issue and care to speak up?

I had this happening for a while in my '13.
I had drained/filled my trans fluid three times and it was very close to gone but still slightly there.
I saw Livernois post on SHOForum that these transmission are happier with a pint above full on the trans fluid. I added a pint that day and it's never come up since then.
Torrie 93 3-Bar tune

Colorado-SHOBro

^ good call I've seen that as well so I'll give her some fluid to see if it helps. ultimately I think the issue should be addressed through the tune though

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Quote from: 8nutz8 on September 13, 2016, 08:00:34 PM
^ good call I've seen that as well so I'll give her some fluid to see if it helps. ultimately I think the issue should be addressed through the tune though

Yes yes, very addressable it is lol.

The shift adjustment is more involved than just pressure changes....I actually run high pressures but lower torque reductions

Contrary to popular belief, the factory tq reductions and tq management don't really get in the way of quick, firm shifts....You can have fast shifts with tq reductions in the name of drivetrain preservation

I used to lower shift pressures to avoid the 1-2 shudder, it was not the way....It kind of worked but not really
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Livernois Motorsports

The shudder is actually primarily caused by fluid cavitation. As the fluid gets more hot and less viscous it will incorporate more air. Thus, creating cavitation. This has NOTHING to do with a tune.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on September 14, 2016, 11:41:35 AM

The shudder is actually primarily caused by fluid cavitation. As the fluid gets more hot and less viscous it will incorporate more air. Thus, creating cavitation. This has NOTHING to do with a tune.
If your trans is on murder and everything is getting hotter, wouldn't that contribute to the issue in a indirect way?