• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best poor man exhaust "upgrade"

Started by BOT_ROCKET, September 13, 2016, 12:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOT_ROCKET

So right now I'm on a super tight budget, but I NEED to do something with the exhaust on my Fusion Sport.

My buddy is trying to convince me to gut the cats, which is the cheapest, but... kinda ghetto and maybe not so legal.

Next option is replacing the resonator with an x-pipe. This would be pretty easy because of the way the exhaust is designed and I only need to buy the x-pipe.

The final option is a muffler delete, or alternatively I could replace with Thrush welded mufflers. I already have one that was going to go on my ex's jeep, but then the Jeep left with the ex. This one would require a bit more work if I want it to look right. I might also need to get new tail pipes for this option, since the stock ones are so odd.

So, any thoughts on which is the best of the cheap and easy evils?
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH

BOT_ROCKET

I guess I should add that I do plan on a tune as soon as possible, I'm not smart enough to be worried about warranty, and I'd like some nice snap, crackle, pop. I have no delusions about trying to make this sound like a flat plane V8. I'm fine with it sounding like a twin turbo V6.

gladams

X pipe first, then replace muffler with two smaller mufflers, on each side, like the older v6 fusions had. then tune. I think in this order you might figure if drone is a factor. Good luck and keep us apprised. Remember this is just my opinion.
2013 SHO mineral gray,  airaid CAI, Corsa exhaust
Traded the 2014 Fusion Titanium for........
2012 Mustang GT sterling gray 5.0 6sp manual. Roush CAI, Noise delete kit, lower control arm brace.

sholxgt

Quote from: gladams on September 13, 2016, 08:13:48 AM
X pipe first, then replace muffler with two smaller mufflers, on each side, like the older v6 fusions had. then tune. I think in this order you might figure if drone is a factor. Good luck and keep us apprised. Remember this is just my opinion.

I'm in basic agreement with this.  Depending on what it costs you for labor, you could even try x pipe first and then muffler delete.  Then circle back and add mufflers if the delete is too loud or doesn't sound good.

The problem with gutting cats is the unknown outcome as far as flow and turbulence created.  Not to mention you would be trashing something that is actually worth quite a bit of money.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

FoMoCoSHO

Personally of all the different combos I've heard I like the muffler delete the best.

I really like the oems tips though and have no idea if it's possible to retain them if removing the mufflers.

BOT_ROCKET

https://youtu.be/53cK2FEeHFE

I'm not sure buying a new GT to swap exhaust is the cheapest route, but this sounds mean AF!

derfdog15

I would definitely replace the resonator/third cat with an X-pipe first. I have heard that combo on many ecoboosts/fords alike and it always sounds better than stock.

I was going to put glasspacks on mine with an X-pipe but came to the conclusion, after ordering the parts of course, that it would sound like a little ricer honda. So I ordered two summit race brand mufflers which I will have welded in (they were less than $40 each). I will report back on the sound once I have them installed.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

BOT_ROCKET

Is it just me, or does the EcoGT sound like a Triumph Daytona?

RichieRich1042

If you try and search on youtube, you can find a few guys from 2GF with their muffler deletes.  They actually sound pretty good to be honest for what it is.  I was thinking of doing this and depending on how that went, if I needed to, add an aftermarket muffler like magna flow, x pipe, glass pack, etc.  I'm probably not explaining that right but if you find the video, you'll see what I'm talking about.
2013 Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost AWD
Proudly supporting:
Mountune (Randy) | Level's Performance | Injen | Turbosmart | Boomba Racing | Steeda |
Cordova Motorsports | DMB UK | Brisk Racing

BOT_ROCKET

Quote from: RichieRich1042 on September 26, 2016, 08:22:35 AM
If you try and search on youtube, you can find a few guys from 2GF with their muffler deletes.  They actually sound pretty good to be honest for what it is.  I was thinking of doing this and depending on how that went, if I needed to, add an aftermarket muffler like magna flow, x pipe, glass pack, etc.  I'm probably not explaining that right but if you find the video, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The problem is that no other fusion sounds like the sport. The only car i can really go by is the Edge sport, which is not very common. The SHO and Flex are what I'm going off of since they are the closest thing that has some decent videos.

RichieRich1042

Proudly supporting:
Mountune (Randy) | Level's Performance | Injen | Turbosmart | Boomba Racing | Steeda |

BOT_ROCKET

Quote from: RichieRich1042 on September 26, 2016, 09:21:37 AM
I found one of the links of a 2GF member:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2E3_fCqkuM

Can't really compare a 2.0L 4 banger with a twin turbo V6. I'm sure there are plenty of Fusion exhaust videos, but I might as well compare it to a Coyote 5.0 with a muffler delete. The Edge is the only other transverse 2.7tt with dual exhaust, but there are no good videos. The F-150 has a 2.7L and lots of videos, but it has a completely different exhaust setup. The transverse 3.5tt is the closest thing to mine that there are any videos about.

RichieRich1042

I apparently misspoke. All I said was that I thought it sounded good and posted a link to one of them. It was my personal opinion. I didn't compare it to anything other than what it was. Maybe that's where I messed up my assumptions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proudly supporting:

BOT_ROCKET

avidmotion

Don't hollow out the cats, ruins gas milage, sound, warranty, provides no hp and might lose some due to flow. X pipe will help with drone issues if your choice of muffler or lack of muffler might create. Chasing a good sound is hard with 4 and 6 cyl......
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.