• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F-150 EcoBoost Issues - CAC, Spark Plug, etc

Started by 93Cobra, June 13, 2016, 03:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

I think I made myself perfectly clear in my last post.  MOVE ALONG, GUYS!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

After using random plumbing parts, tubing, the catch can from a brake bleeder kit, and an old vacuum cleaner this weekend to evacuate the oil from my intercooler, I do wish there was a more convenient method for cleaning the thing.

Seems a petcock drain would come in handy.

I just couldn't bring myself to create a permanent boost leak though.  I totally appreciate that it solves this one problem, it seems it would come at the cost of permanently overworking the turbos to reach the desired torque level.

Sorry SHOdded. Replied while you were typing the other message.  Seems there should probably be a discussion on the topic.  Just maybe not here.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

r1crusher

This "condensate" issue only effected '10-'12 F-150's and the fix was put into production starting with the '13 model year.  Currently having in my driveway a '13 F-150 I can tell you that I have NEVER had any misfire/condensate/etc. issues whatsoever.  I don't believe there is ANY reason to drill holes in '13+ models...which Brad (aka FracaSHO) is the owner of.

I don't want to stir this pot more than it already has been, but I own an F-150 and would never do as suggested.
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

ZSHO

I would Emphasize to keep your discussions based on factual information,data and not solely based on speculation and should truly respect SHOdded opinion,position on the matter. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

r1crusher

I completely understand, but I thought I'd post up because I can make such claims as I own a model truck in question.  No redistribution of topics from other places or the like.  Just plain truth with my personal ownership.  I do have friends with EB F-150's and could speak on their ownership but it's not as conducive to the discussion whether it's good or bad.

Just like the saying goes....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.   
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

93Cobra

This learning stemmed from my ecoboost f150 ownership experience. I also own a 13 SHO, and that was why I was looking into why the transverse engine application is so much better than the longitudinal in the F150. As i dug in on the f150 ecoboost forum, i got all of the info as they had dealt with it since the introduction. All experience and research shows that through all of the TSBs ford had, none were effective in stopping the condensate from building and blowing out spark. Do your research and look at 13 and 14s... They still have the stutter. Heck, my 13 sho had the stutter too. I drilled the werp hole and installed new sp534 plugs and not an issue since... And my intercooler drains nicely now. There are several ecoboost f150s here at work and when I ask about these issues, they explain how they have it too. None of them get on forums to understand though.

There is also a blown engine thread out there that tracks the ecoboost f150 engine failure and looks at what caused the engine to let go. Root cause is condensate. It has been that way for years now. No fix other than weep hole and new plugs. Those that have done that have never had the stutter ever again. The performance cones back, and no ill effects. Owners have put many miles on this and no problem. I have put a ton of miles on my SHO since doing the same and no problems at all.

AJP turbo

I need to talk to the engineers at ford....i cant believe we are finally about to get resolution and closure on this...im about to get paid based on the intel im about to give them...they will be relieved to put  this all  behind them and allow the millions of ecoboost f150 owners to enjoy their trucks again

And im also going to call the BBB and notify them that ford is knowingly selling 2016-2017 trucks that still have the issue since there is no fix from them...thats bull crap
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

93Cobra

Remember, Ford can't do the weep hole themselves because the EPA would be on them for the oil and water mixture released on the ground.

jejeosborne

I drilled my intercooler and never looked back.  No reason not to and I had three instances of water ingestion and don't want to grenade a cylinder. First video shows water that came out once drilled.  Second video is a test I did to see if I had a boost drop afterwards with test runs and boost gauge.  5 minutes of time will solve a major problem.  No logical reason not to unless someone is so worried about putting a couple drops of oil on the road per thousand miles. 

https://youtu.be/QXP1KBXSny8

https://youtu.be/FFSQT1ALRak

93Cobra

Quote from: jejeosborne on August 07, 2016, 11:49:05 AM
I drilled my intercooler and never looked back.  No reason not to and I had three instances of water ingestion and don't want to grenade a cylinder. First video shows water that came out once drilled.  Second video is a test I did to see if I had a boost drop afterwards with test runs and boost gauge.  5 minutes of time will solve a major problem.  No logical reason not to unless someone is so worried about putting a couple drops of oil on the road per thousand miles. 

https://youtu.be/QXP1KBXSny8

https://youtu.be/FFSQT1ALRak

Thanks for posting!!!

J-Will

If it's a couple drops of oil per thousand miles, then what problem did you solve? The engine can handle a couple of drops per thousand miles.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

93Cobra

Quote from: J-Will on August 10, 2016, 10:01:30 PM
If it's a couple drops of oil per thousand miles, then what problem did you solve? The engine can handle a couple of drops per thousand miles.

Negative. The weep hole is primarily to evacuate the condensate that builds up. This is the problem the eco has. With the amount of oil and condensate combined, you will get the misfire and potentially hydrolock the engine. The weep hole is free insurance to protect against that.

J-Will

What are you referring to as "negative" from my post? I was responding to jeje post and results after drilling.

A couple of drops at such a long interval does not sound problematic to me. However, this seems to be a problem for some.  Which tells me that either his results of a couple of drops actually did not solve a problem in evacuating liquid; his results are wrong; or this issue has been blown out of proportion.

I'm just trying to add up all the pieces here.

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

93Cobra

What comes out is not just a couple drops of oil. With the weep hole, the condensate that builds in the intercooler is evacuated to atmosphere. The small amount of oil buildup gets evacuated too.

The problematic piece of this is that a driver never knows when or how much condensate is in there. You only know when you floor the gas pedal and you get misfire / stutter. To prevent this, the 1/16" weep hole gets it out to atmosphere without issue. There are no ill effects or problems doing this. This and frequent (every 15k-20k miles) spark plug changes are what make this engine safer and more reliable.

metroplex

AJP Turbo's comment on wheel torque error had me looking at the various files.
2015-2016 F-150 3.5 EB: 48,000
2012-2014 F-150 3.5 EB: 50,000

Maybe the files I saw already had the Ford fix implemented? The SHO is set to 35,000
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport