• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HID bulb issues

Started by shweetpickens, September 02, 2016, 01:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shweetpickens

Im having an issue with my 2013 Sho headlights.  At around 40k miles my drivers side bulb started turning itself off. I could turn the switch off and on to fix it but it would go off again after a minute or two. That along with the fact that it was a different color told me that it was a bulb problem.

I replaced both bulbs with morimotos D3S and the problem was solved. Now two months have passed and I noticed today that the same side bulb was off??? I flipped the bulbs off and on and they both worked again. Both bulbs still look the same color. I have factory ballasts, and the igniters I believe are part of the D3S bulb. What do you guys think this could be? Did I get a bad bulb??

sholxgt

Only a guess, but I'd say you either have a wiring issue or the ballast is overheating.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Have seen it posted that moisture in the headlight assembly and/or water intrustion into the bulb connector has caused this type of problem.  So I would check the headlamps carefully for moisture, and clean and grease (dielectric) the bulb connector.  See if that helps any.  Also check the fuse for that headlamp.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Same thing was happening with mine.  Driver side bulb would just randomly just go off.  I'd turn the lights off and on and they'd be working again, but would eventually just turn off again. 

Swapped out my bulbs for a pair of philips and they've been good since.   

Other than swapping out the ballast, you may want to try out another pair, but different brand.  If you get a ballast, I'd get a new one and oem.  I believe osram is oem.

shweetpickens

Thanks for all the ideas.  Ill check the connector.  Do you guys really think a lesser brand of bulb could have this problem after 2 months of use but a good brand would not?

SHOdded

Even Morimotos can have a bad bulb now & again.  The tops in lighting have usually been Philips and Osram (not Sylvania), and their prices reflect it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shweetpickens

Quote from: SHOdded on September 02, 2016, 04:55:34 PM
Even Morimotos can have a bad bulb now & again.  The tops in lighting have usually been Philips and Osram (not Sylvania), and their prices reflect it.

Thanks just wanted to make sure I understood you right.  Thats probably my next step if this keeps up.  I know theretrofitsource.com is a good place for LEGIT bulbs.  Do you know any other good sites where there is no danger in buying a knock off?

SHOdded

I am sure there are many sites where you can get legit Philips/Osram bulbs, this is one I use (another member on this forum had referred, IIRC):
http://www.hidconcept.com/shop-by-bulb-type/d-series/d3s/

They have a 15% off special right now LABOR15 with free shipping for US orders over $20.

shweetpickens

Quote from: SHOdded on September 02, 2016, 05:28:47 PM
I am sure there are many sites where you can get legit Philips/Osram bulbs, this is one I use (another member on this forum had referred, IIRC):
http://www.hidconcept.com/shop-by-bulb-type/d-series/d3s/

They have a 15% off special right now LABOR15 with free shipping for US orders over $20.

awesome.  osram xenarc looks like the way to go

pmezo33

These are the philips bulbs i put in and i think they're a nice upgrade from the stock osrams.  They're brighter and i like the color better.  Definitely happy with the change.  Got them from hidconcept too.  Free shipping and a 15% off coupon. 

http://www.hidconcept.com/d3s-philips-x-tremevision-42403xvc1-hid-50-bulbs/

shweetpickens

Quote from: pmezo33 on September 02, 2016, 06:17:15 PM
These are the philips bulbs i put in and i think they're a nice upgrade from the stock osrams.  They're brighter and i like the color better.  Definitely happy with the change.  Got them from hidconcept too.  Free shipping and a 15% off coupon. 

http://www.hidconcept.com/d3s-philips-x-tremevision-42403xvc1-hid-50-bulbs/

Do you feel like they look any better than stock?  I know 4800 isn't a huge jump over oem, but one of the things I liked about my morimotos was the slightly more blue look of them

pmezo33

Quote from: shweetpickens on September 02, 2016, 06:47:17 PM
Do you feel like they look any better than stock?  I know 4800 isn't a huge jump over oem, but one of the things I liked about my morimotos was the slightly more blue look of them

I do and it's definitely got a blue tint to it.  It's not obnoxiously blue (personal opinion) like some cars on the road, but they definitely have a slight blue tint to them.  Stocks don't have any blue tint.  If you really want to go blue, you'll have to go 6000k or more.  These are more white with a slight blue tint.  This is the ideal look i like with HID lights though, so i consider them a big upgrade over the stocks.

shweetpickens

Ok yea sounds like they will work.  Thanks for help