• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

K&N vs OEM air filter testing

Started by FoMoCoSHO, August 29, 2016, 01:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye93

Interesting.  But the article states that "The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give," and then goes on to test the filters at a measly 350 CFM.  For a 3.5 EB, you're going to want more like 1000 CFM.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: hawkeye93 on August 29, 2016, 07:52:51 AM
Interesting.  But the article states that "The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give," and then goes on to test the filters at a measly 350 CFM.  For a 3.5 EB, you're going to want more like 1000 CFM.
Right but now apply that to dirt ingestion, wouldn't that make the filtration part even worse?

hawkeye93

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 29, 2016, 09:00:08 AM
Right but now apply that to dirt ingestion, wouldn't that make the filtration part even worse?

Of course.  I don't dispute the filtration aspects of the article.  But my point is that an OEM/replacement filter MIGHT NOT flow enough for the engine, especially a modified one.  This article states that they do, but they didn't test them with enough flow.  Maybe 350 CFM is enough for a little Nissan motor, but it's not enough for my EcoBoost.  Most of us here are interested in getting more out of our cars than the conservative manufacturers release it with.  You're always going to get some dirt, you just have to decide how much is too much.  Most of it will go out the exhaust anyway.

FWIW, I don't use a K&N filter.  I use an AEM. :)
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

sholxgt

Well said hawkeye!  In short, a solid piece of metal will allow zero dirt to flow through it...or any air.  No filter will allow 100% dirt and 100% air.

Between those two things is a sliding scale between dirt trapping and air flow.  Paper filters trap more dirt than gauze type filters at the expense of also flowing less air.

Given enough underhood space, it's hard to beat a giant paper filter with tons of surface area.  If you're working within the confines of the stock airbox and want more flow, there's not much you can do except switch to a gauze style filter of your choice and accept that it's going to pass more dirt.

Generally speaking, the worst option is to switch to a small gauze filter.  Those that remove their airbox and install a small K&N type cone filter have gone two steps back.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AnotherGreenFusion

Used oil filters for years and can attest to the extra dirt getting sucked in even when properly oiled, after enough time youll notice a fine layer of dirt accumulating inside the intake piping and this was on a v6 NA pushrod.

For the EB I tried to split the difference going for a paper style cone filter to maximize surface area and filtration.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: hawkeye93 on August 29, 2016, 09:19:11 AM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 29, 2016, 09:00:08 AM

Of course.  I don't dispute the filtration aspects of the article.  But my point is that an OEM/replacement filter MIGHT NOT flow enough for the engine, especially a modified one.  This article states that they do, but they didn't test them with enough flow.  Maybe 350 CFM is enough for a little Nissan motor, but it's not enough for my EcoBoost.  Most of us here are interested in getting more out of our cars than the conservative manufacturers release it with.  You're always going to get some dirt, you just have to decide how much is too much.  Most of it will go out the exhaust anyway.

FWIW, I don't use a K&N filter.  I use an AEM. :)
Depending on the year the Duramax platform used for the test puts down 500-765 lb ft of torque.

If paper flows enough for the Duramax I'm not concerned with flow on the Ecoboost.

The difference in initial flow is .06 PSI.

My tune is hotter than AJP's which put down 527 wtq and I'm definitely putting the paper filter back in. I suspect there will be no discernible difference in butt dyno or data log. If I can make it to the track Thursday we will have some numbers to compare.

I was reading on Bitog last night and someone commented that all it takes is 1 tsp of dirt to kill an engine.

Right or wrong that gave me pause and I'm going to do a little investigating.

There is a whole section on the Bitog forums regarding air filtration if anybody wants to look into the matter further.

slurppie

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

SHOdded

Dirt = good for children.  Dirt = BAAAADDDDD for engines.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Looking back over my datalogs, I used up about 150 cfm of air under moderate-heavy acceleration getting up to 55 from a standing start.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/4496-500-hp-na-chevrolet-lt1-engine/
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Wonder if we should just start putting in MERV 13 filters LOL!  Do you think Ford/factory filters are any different from the Motorcraft counterparts?  Some say there's a difference in the number of pleats & hence filtering, for example.

slurppie

I swapped out my K&N for a Green filter which seems to fit better and has larger pleats. http://www.greenfilterusa.com

sent from my speak n' spell using tin cans and string

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Wardog692

Quote from: slurppie on August 30, 2016, 08:39:09 AM
I swapped out my K&N for a Green filter which seems to fit better and has larger pleats. http://www.greenfilterusa.com

sent from my speak n' spell using tin cans and string

Slurppie, your sig and your "sent from" message had me chuckling pretty hard at work! But I've also heard great things about Green filters, I've got a buddy of mine who swears by them, and I trust his judgement.
2010 SHO 402b non PP
BOV VTA w/ K&N Breather Filters
mDesign CAI
35% Tint
BrakePerformance drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads