• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

UOA Oil Analysis - 6.3k mi Pennzoil non-synth

Started by metroplex, August 26, 2016, 05:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

I didn't realize the engineering on the GT is identical to the SHO.  Heck, I don't even know all the changes Ford has made year to year on the SHO!  We find out certain things by trial & error, but would we say we KNOW what is really going on?  I think you should talk to LME and let them fill you in.

In any case, the point is if you want to do it, do it.  We are not here to force you to do anything, just provide our perspectives.  But at the same time, people reading the content on our forum should be clear that they bear the risk of such experimentation.  Of course, we are interested to hear/see what happens from your tests.  But it helps to provide concrete facts/evidence for the user coummunity to evaluate.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

midnightSun

Quote from: sholxgt on August 27, 2016, 11:33:11 AM
I lost respect for Amsoil when they brought out Signature and changed their other offerings as well. 

Why is this?
"I'm 30 min away, i'll be there in 10"
2016 Explorer Sport 3bar 93 tune.
Continental ZRY summer tires.
I pull a 30' race trailer with this little SUV at times.
2x Regional Champ!

sholxgt

Quote from: midnightSun on August 31, 2016, 06:42:17 AM
I lost respect for Amsoil when they brought out Signature and changed their other offerings as well. 

Why is this?

I lost respect because it appears they performed a bait and switch.  Much like Mobil and Castrol did.

When Amsoil only had one offering it was a true synthetic.  It seems to me that they then brought out Signature to make the public think that they have engineered an even better oil.  But, what they actually did was change the formula in their standard offering to a non synthetic base stock and rename their standard offering Signature.

At least that's what it seems to me happened.  I know years ago they only had true synthetic and it wasn't called Signature.  The standard Amsoil is now petroleum base stock and you have to step up to Signature to get what I, and other countries, call synthetic oil.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Agree completely.  I guess they wanted a bigger share of the market?  Signature would be the only engine oil I'd use though.  Can easily get quality non-true-synthetic oil just about anywhere for cheaper.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

midnightSun

Quote from: sholxgt on August 31, 2016, 09:19:20 AM

I lost respect because it appears they performed a bait and switch.  Much like Mobil and Castrol did.

Had no idea. So "blended" can be labeled as Synthetic.......yikes.
"I'm 30 min away, i'll be there in 10"
2016 Explorer Sport 3bar 93 tune.
Continental ZRY summer tires.
I pull a 30' race trailer with this little SUV at times.
2x Regional Champ!

sholxgt

Quote from: midnightSun on August 31, 2016, 09:48:57 AM

Had no idea. So "blended" can be labeled as Synthetic.......yikes.

In the US, they can modify the structure of petroleum and then call it synthetic.  In Europe it has to have a non-petroleum (Class IV or V synthetic) base stock to be called synthetic.

I strongly support Europe on that classification.  Otherwise, the synthetic label on the bottle is near meaningless.

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AJP turbo

Quote from: midnightSun on August 31, 2016, 06:42:17 AM

Why is this?

When Amsoil only had one offering it was a true synthetic.  It seems to me that they then brought out Signature to make the public think that they have engineered an even better oil.  But, what they actually did was change the formula in their standard offering to a non synthetic base stock and rename their standard offering Signature.

At least that's what it seems to me happened.  I know years ago they only had true synthetic and it wasn't called Signature.  The standard Amsoil is now petroleum base stock and you have to step up to Signature to get what I, and other countries, call synthetic oil.

I dont think it was a bait and switch at all...i think it was just a matter of expanding their product line...the OE and XL amsoil were simply created to have an offering in a segment that was previously unavailable by them

Have to diversify to stay alive sometimes.....not everyone wants or needs class IV/V oils

So now if you want the amsoil name and advantages that may come from their research and philosohy but want conventional oil you can have them as an ootion 
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress