• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Intake valve cleaner

Started by buck91, August 27, 2016, 10:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck91

Maybe I didn't search well enough, but I was very surprised at how little I found in the way of discussions here about intake valve deposits and cleaning.  Seems this topic comes up frequently in the context of GDI type engines.  Has this been shown to be much of an issue on these Eco's?  If so, what is everyones favorite way to address it?  I'm not trying to look for a solution without a problem but the two products I've seen recommended are CRC intake valve cleaner and Amsoil Power Foam...

SHOdded

They should only be used by endusers if there is little to no problem to begin with.  If there is significant buildup, let the pros handle it, unless you want to rent/purchase the equipment to do so.  The stated risk is breaking off chunks of the deposits that wind up ruining the turbos.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AnotherGreenFusion

There seem to be some newer products gaining popularity in this area but honestly the idea of using any of these freaks me out a bit. I think I would rather just rebuild the head.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

glock-coma

Ive been contemplating pulling the intake manifold and blasting the valves with walnut shells like the bmw guys do. I've posted some videos and pics of my intake valves awhile back. Don't know if they made it over from the other site. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Were the pics hosted here or pbucket or ...?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Quote from: SHOdded on August 27, 2016, 02:15:59 PM
Were the pics hosted here or pbucket or ...?
Not sure. I'll see if they're on one of my random memory cards when I'm home later.

I found the youtube videos for before and after bg intake cleaning

Before
https://youtu.be/Obg9QmIaCGc

After
https://youtu.be/8fnPAqxNQKo

SHOdded

glock-coma