• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

7* of Knock from 2-3 shift at WOT.

Started by hunterbabich, August 24, 2016, 07:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 24, 2016, 10:13:38 PM
The Shell 93 around these parts is no joke.

Hunter, are you in Cali by any chance?

I think that different areas of the country pull from different refineries or get different mixes.  My neighbor, originally from IL, talks about how good Shell 93 was up there and how cruddy it is here.  He has a Silverado SS and SSR.

Growing up in South FL, no tuners used Shell.  It was strictly Amoco or Mobil for any shop I asked if running 93.

I'm just grateful to not have to deal with 91.  I feel for you guys!
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Korn2012

How far north in Wisconsin are you? Most kwick trips have e85 now.

hunterbabich

Quote from: Korn2012 on August 25, 2016, 01:22:48 PM
How far north in Wisconsin are you? Most kwick trips have e85 now.

The closest kwiktrip is a half hour away. I actually made a run there tonight and put a half tank of 91 premium and 1.5 gal of e85. (ending with something around 93 octane e12 or e13.) Poof, knock is gone at WOT.

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

hunterbabich

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 25, 2016, 10:09:12 PM
Did you re log?

Yes sir. With this new log i noticed a little richer conditions under WOT. 0.76. Before it was around 0.80. And fuel pressure kinda drops off after the desired afr is achieved. ~2200 down to ~1400. Im guessing this is caused by the higher octane.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: hunterbabich on August 25, 2016, 10:14:25 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on August 25, 2016, 10:09:12 PM
Did you re log?

Yes sir. With this new log i noticed a little richer conditions under WOT. 0.76. Before it was around 0.80. And fuel pressure kinda drops off after the desired afr is achieved. ~2200 down to ~1400. Im guessing this is caused by the higher octane.
It should only be dropping if its commanded to drop.

At WOT you ideally want to see over 2K PSI.

As pressure falls so does droplet atomization (drops get bigger)which is not ideal.

The pressure should be basically static (tiny peaks and valleys) at WOT and the amount of fuel is determined by how long the injectors stay open.

Adding E85 requires additional fuel....that combined with richer commanded AFR..... probably the cause for the dip.

hunterbabich

So is the pressure drop anything to really worry about?

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: hunterbabich on August 25, 2016, 10:47:04 PM
Worry?

IDK it is something I experienced and fought for a long time with E.

While it is not ideal I'd rather have no KR and less pressure than seeing the knock sensor pull 7 degrees, that makes me nervous.

Ideally though you want that corn being sprayed over 2K PSI.

The more it is atomized the more effective it is in absorbing heat in the cylinder which is why corn is just so damn awesome at suppressing knock in DI applications.

Korn2012

I'd worry at the fuel pressure drop considering you only put 2 gallons of corn in.
What did Torrie say when you sent him the log?

hunterbabich

He said that is that is going to happen when you add e content and the air get better.

AJP turbo

Quote from: hunterbabich on August 28, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
He said that is that is going to happen when you add e content and the air get better.

You should never have your knock sensor maxxed out...and if only 2 gallons of E85 cause your fuel pressure to dip that much the you are running too much boost or boost isnt being controlled that well

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Your new log is kinda short. You only did a 1-2 gear WOT pull.....I'd be willing to bet if you stayed WOT for a 2-3 gear change your boost spike would be worse and your fuel pressure would've fallen more...2-3 is always the worst.

So you are about 1400 psi...If the 2-3 brought it down to 1200 psi and it's summer now then maybe you are close to 1000 in the cold....And you aren't getting tq reductions during shifts, I can tell by the spark curve during downshifts

Speculating a little here but when you see those big dips early in a pull with the knock sensor and then it goes flat that usually means your spark is set that you won't get any spark added from the knock sensor...But it is good on this pull that you didn't get knock retard

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

16MagSport

This is sounding like my wife's Explorer.  I was thinking about trying Unleashed, but this is exactly what I am afraid of.  OP, did you ever log your stock tune on 91 octane?  If so, what KR did you see?  I can only get crappy 91 Cali fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Magnetic Explorer Sport 401A  (Wife's DD)  13.55 @ 99.87 mph AJP Tune Only.
1993 Mustang, Big Bore Dart block 347 with Vortech SC, TKO500, 10.84 @ 128.5mph
         (Burned in Cali wildfire)
2006 Dodge Ram, 2WD Quad Cab Hemi, 14.60 @ 92mph
         (Burned in Cali wildfire)

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 25, 2016, 10:54:39 PM
Quote from: hunterbabich on August 25, 2016, 10:47:04 PM
Worry?

IDK it is something I experienced and fought for a long time with E.

While it is not ideal I'd rather have no KR and less pressure than seeing the knock sensor pull 7 degrees, that makes me nervous.

Ideally though you want that corn being sprayed over 2K PSI.

The more it is atomized the more effective it is in absorbing heat in the cylinder which is why corn is just so damn awesome at suppressing knock in DI applications.
I hate to say it...show me an Unleashed log where they sit at 2K through the whole run... I have not seen it... But then again... He uses nothing to control boost spikes... Those kill your fuel rail... He is 100% balls to the wall all the time... No tq control and no throttle control... Not that there is anything wrong with that... It's just his style... Part of the race car feel I believe is riding out those boost spikes with no reductions...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BOT_ROCKET

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 18, 2016, 06:36:59 PM
I hate to say it...show me an Unleashed log where they sit at 2K through the whole run... I have not seen it... But then again... He uses nothing to control boost spikes... Those kill your fuel rail... He is 100% balls to the wall all the time... No tq control and no throttle control... Not that there is anything wrong with that... It's just his style... Part of the race car feel I believe is riding out those boost spikes with no reductions...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Is that uncommon among the various tuners?
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH