• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Datalogging with SCTx4 Device

Started by StealBlueSho, August 07, 2016, 07:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

I have had several people PM me asking how to datalog with the SCTx4 device only without having to use a laptop in your car... so here is a quick how to on loading a configuration file sent to you by your tuner into livelink II, exporting it into your SCTx4 device, and then how to datalog with that config file from your car...

You can also merge a CF4 file with a validated list of datapoints for your vehicle to add additional PIDS/DMR/etc to log and/or create your own CF4 file with datapoints you want log, but that is beyond the scope of this How To..

1: Start up LiveLink II..

2: Once LiveLink II is loaded, select the "Load Config" icon on the navigation bar...
[/img]

3: In the file selection window, navigate to the CF4 file that was sent to you buy your tuner and click "Open". This contains a list of the datapoints that will be collected during the datalog.

4: A second window will pop up with a description if there is one.. just click "Next"

5:Once the CF4 file loads up into LiveLink II select the "Export DLF/DLX" in the navigation bar..

6:In the Export File window select the radio button for "X4 Device(.DLX)" and then select "OK"

7:In the Export Configuration window provide a "Description" and then select "Export"..

8:In the file window that pops up, save the .DLX file and rename it to what you want..

Close LiveLink II before opening SCT Device Updater

9: Connect your SCTx4 Device to your computer via the USB cable provided...

10:Open the SCT Device Updater application

11:Once the SCT Device Updater program opens up, select the "Transfer File to Device" button in the "Basic Operations" section...

12:On the right side of the screen after selecting the "Transfer File to Device" button, select the "Browse" button..

13:A file navigation window opens up, select the .DLX file you exported out of LiveLink II, and select "Open". Once you click Open it automatically transfer the file to the SCTx4 Device..

14: Disconnect your SCTx4 from your computer, its ready for datalogging.

15:Follow the following link to hook the SCTx4 Device to your car, select the datalog configuration file you loaded into your SCTx4 Device, and start the Electronic Gauges on your SCTx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrTBuD9DomQ

16: Once you have the SCTx4 in datalog mode with the digital gauges displayed, click the center circle on the SCTx4 to start recording.. a circle will appear in the center of the screen that says "Rec"... (I will take a picture when I get back to the house)

NOTE: You are now actively datalogging your vehicle... I don't know what the maximum amount of time you can datalog but a red circle will start to encompass the "Rec" symbol in the center of the display.. I am assuming when that completes the circle thats all you can do... I have recorded for 20+ minutes without an issue.

NOTE: You can only have one datalog at a time on the SCT.. so if you stop and start again during the record you will lose the last recording.. you can technically hit the record button again while you are connected to pause the recording, and hit rec again to resume... but you must keep the sctx4 connected and do not leave the datalogging screen.

17: Once you are finished datalogging, click the center circle again on the pad, the "Rec" symbol will disappear, press the right pad, select "Stop Datalog", and then disconnect the SCTx4 from the OBDII port...

18: When you get home, connect the SCTx4 to your computer again via the USB cable, and start up LiveLink II again.

19: On the opening page click the "I want to import a datalog from a device" link. Follow the wizard to import the datalog from the SCTx4 device onto your computer.

SHOdded

Thank you for taking the time to put together this comprehensive writeup :thumb:  Certain to help answer a lot of questions!

Wouldn't happen to have higher rez gifs by any chance, would ya?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

I was one of the people that asked StealBlue via PM.  Thanks a ton for answering my PM AND for putting together this write up.

The youtube videos and most Online how to's only show the laptop method, which is not convenient for most people.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

FoMoCoSHO

I too was one of the ones bugging stealblue.

I blame it on AJP!

Seriously though, thanks, the laptop just adds a layer of pita and my resolution sucks pretty hard. Hopefully this helps.

FoMoCoSHO

We should probably sticky this. I would but I'm on my phone and it does weird things when I'm trying to do admin stuff.

StealBlueSho

I can expand this to include A: better resolution pictures. B: How to merge existing configurations with a validated list of usable pids so you can datalog additional datapoints. C: Create your own configuration files from scratch.

If anyone is interested in those...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FoMoCoSHO

I'm interested in A only because I'm familiar with the other two.

As often as we have folks requesting config files I think B and C is a good idea as well.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on August 07, 2016, 10:53:23 AM
Thank you for taking the time to put together this comprehensive writeup :thumb:  Certain to help answer a lot of questions!

Wouldn't happen to have higher rez gifs by any chance, would ya?

Uploaded higher resolution pictures.

Vortech347

This is a nice feature if your laptop craps out.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to take separate logs so I can log in sport and drive modes.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

StealBlueSho

You can not do separate logs. The easiest way is to just log the entire time then use the "Save View" option in LiveLink II on the runs you want separated out.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 07, 2016, 11:40:29 PM
You can not do separate logs. The easiest way is to just log the entire time then use the "Save View" option in LiveLink II on the runs you want separated out.

Any idea how long before memory runs out?

StealBlueSho

That's a good question... I would imagine based on my experience you could get approx 30-45 depending on how many pids you are logging? I have done 20+ minutes and only had about 1/2 of the circle filled.

That being said basic ability to read datalogs is needed so you can parse out your runs... The CSV file it dumps out is 50+ MBs if you log for 20 minutes...and I know tuners are not going to want to parse it themselves...

StealBlueSho

There is a pause option on the SCT x4 for datalogging... I played with that but you need to be careful. If you accidentally hit the wrong button you could loose all your previous data. So for me personally, I don't like using that option as it's not all always easy to get a really good pull on the street through 3rd gear.

SHOdded

Yeah, logging at 1/100ths of a second adds up to some serious storage space issues LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

The CSV files do compress very well, about 15:1 with WinRAR using the "best" option with a .zip container.