• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo 'flutter' during low rpm / high gear acceleration...

Started by zzfb, July 04, 2015, 01:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

Wow!  Surprised that I hadn't seen this thread before now. 

My car is driving me nuts.  Stock it is only mildly annoying, but with either of my SCT based tunes, it is unbearable.  The stutters that happen between 1300 and 1600 rpm under load are just incredibly annoying because I live in the mountains.

I had decided that mine are converter related, but this has me wondering.  For some reason, the stutter is significantly worse when tuned than when left stock.  I keep running a tune for a few days at a time with the idea of getting a data log, but end up going back to stock after a few days because I can't stand the way it drives.

I don't think it's the tuners, but something that is wrong with the car that gets exacerbated with the tunes.  Dealer can't replicate because it's mild untuned and I don't want to tell them that it's tuned for warranty sake.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

John Miller

Mine was driving me nuts and was certainly worse with tune. I tried plugs, cleaning the oil out of the CAC, Etc. Dealer couldn't replicate it when stock - like you said, it was too mild.

But, again, Livernois's tune took it out. Been gone for months. This was not placebo - the change was very obvious. And I'm not a Livernois homer - I have my critiques too of them. And this was obviously an accident that their tune did fixed it, but who cares. It worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Taurus SHO, Non-PP, 93 Octane Livernois V10 "Soft Shift" Tune with 170 Reische Thermostat and 3-bar MAP sensor

sholxgt

Small bit of data...

The wife took a mechanic buddy for a ride today.  He watched a ton of parameters while she drove and found one odd thing...

The amp reading for Shift Solenoid C goes up each time the car stutters.  Next step is for him to research to see if it's related.

Fingers crossed that they find a fix.  It's not so bad stock, but becomes highly annoying once tuned.

PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Possibly a weak solenoid then, interesting!  Fix would be either a new solenoid body assembly, or new PCM.  Good time to replace the TSS & OSS sensors too!

Shift Solenoid A (SSA), Shift Solenoid B (SSB), Shift Solenoid C (SSC), Shift Solenoid D (SSD) and Shift Solenoid E (SSE)

Five shift solenoids are used for electronic shift scheduling. The 5 solenoids are located in the solenoid body. SSA , SSB , SSC and SSD are Variable Force Solenoid (VFS). SSE is an ON/OFF shift solenoid. Shift solenoids SSA , SSB , SSC , SSD and SSE provide selection of 1st through 6th gears and reverse by controlling the pressure of the shift valves. SSA and SSC are normally low-pressure solenoids. Pressure increases as the PCM activates the solenoid. SSB and SSD are normally high-pressure solenoids. Pressure decreases as the PCM activates the solenoid. SSE is normally closed and opens when the PCM activates the solenoid. The solenoids are activated by the PCM controlling current flow at the solenoid ground circuit, this is known as ground side switching.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

John Miller

SHOLXGT - not sure if you have the logs from the mechanic's diagnosis but, if so, check out my logs posted a couple pages back.  See if there are any similarities

2015 Taurus SHO, Non-PP, 93 Octane Livernois V10 "Soft Shift" Tune with 170 Reische Thermostat and 3-bar MAP sensor

sholxgt

We seem to be having the same exact symptom happening under the same conditions...under load, light throttle, going up hill, 1400 or so rpm, but seem to have different reasons possibly.

The most noticeable things in my logs are the fluctuating rpm and fluctuating converter lock percent.  The rest of my logs look normal to me, but I'm no expert.

Here's some logs from my SCT.  Car is stuttering between 0 and 5 seconds.

SHOdded

Dont forget the PTU is also a candidate under those conditions.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

John Miller

If it was a mechanical issue, I don't think the Livernois tune would have fixed it for me the way it did.

SHOdded

I am glad it worked for you, John :)  I hope it is a cure in sholxgt's case also, but keeping options open is needed at this stage.

John Miller

Just sharing my experience and talking through the logical conclusions, if any. Take it or leave it.

sholxgt

Agree with all here!

My basic plan is to see if the dealership can fix it first, since there is a problem stock.  Mechanical?  Tune?  Not sure which, but I'll let them try first. 

If unsuccessful, I'm open to the idea of a Livernois tune.  Especially if they will cut me a take back deal like they did for you.  In the end, I just want my "not cheap" car to run decent.  It should not run the way it does.  I was very close to buying outside of the blue oval for the first time in a long time when I got the MKS.  I'm starting to think that I should have. 

MeanKS

i think my car may be experiencing this.  i feel a surging sometimes cruising at 1500 rpm and my gas mileage has gone down to below 13mpg.

any new answers?
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

Checked codes and all the usual trouble spots?  MAP sensors, intercooler, pooling oil, cracked hoses...?  Oxygen sensors and fuel injectors would be next.  Then possibly a sticking wastegate.