• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Replacing blown engine 2010 SHO

Started by Spoolin-SVT, August 02, 2016, 02:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoolin-SVT

Not sure if this is the right area to past this in but I am wondering if anyone has pulled the engine out of their Taurus?
Or know of anyone that has.

Long story short, i blew my engine about a year ago and have been putting it on the back burner for quite some time now.
I have found a really good deal on a new engine but, I am trying to avoid spending the $2,000 the dealership wants to swap it in.
I am very familiar with working on my own vehicles and have pulled countless engines.
But from my understanding these engines are designed to be remove from the bottom.
I do not have access to a lift and was wondering if it would be possible to pull it from the top.
1991 Modfox IRS (Eaton swap in the works)
1993 2.3T Ported head/cam HX35
1997 Cobra Built engine Billet S476
2010 Ford SHO Daily Driver

SHOdded

Engine removal procedure from the FSM

Sorry to hear about the engine!  Do you know what happened?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spoolin-SVT

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look at that after this.

Yeah, well kind of, I was doing some heavy pulls one night and then noticed that it had a "miss" at idle shortly after. tried to drive it to work the following day and it would spit and sputter really bad around 2k rpms and would kind of chug while I was letting my foot off the brakes getting ready to take off.

I ended up pulling the plugs and found one that was completely fouled , I figured that my coil went bad so i replaced it and put a new plug in the cylinder and it seemed to run normal for a bit but continuously got worse the more I drove it. When I got home I pulled the plug again it was completely covered.....in oil.
Just as it was the first time but I was telling myself that it couldn't be. Ended up doing a compression check and 1,2 were both 187 PSI and #3 was a solid 50.
Figured I either blew the top ring land or put a hole in the piston.

Added a pic of the plug, keep in mind this was brand new about 15 mins earlier and no more than 3-4 miles.
1991 Modfox IRS (Eaton swap in the works)
1993 2.3T Ported head/cam HX35
1997 Cobra Built engine Billet S476
2010 Ford SHO Daily Driver

SHOdded

Usually the valve cover gasket (2013+) gives on that cylinder, but this is definitely an internal issue.  A cracked piston/head does happen on these engines from time to time, though.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spenser281

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm basically in the same boat.  I'm trying to find a used engine.  Will the 2013+ engines work in the 10-12 cars?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2010 SHO

Work in progress....

bpd1151

Yes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pmezo33

Not really related to this specific question, but would the Taurus or MKS 3.7 liter engine work with these cars?