• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

tial wastegate for charge piping

Started by AJP turbo, July 30, 2016, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linemonkey

Quick question. What is the diameter of the dump tube? I found several like this, on ebay, with the vband already welded. Would this work?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Stainless-Dump-tube-Flanged-for-V-Band-for-Tial-MVS-38mm-Wastegate-/262830922805?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

MiWiAu

Quote from: Linemonkey on February 25, 2017, 10:09:06 AM
Quick question. What is the diameter of the dump tube? I found several like this, on ebay, with the vband already welded. Would this work?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Stainless-Dump-tube-Flanged-for-V-Band-for-Tial-MVS-38mm-Wastegate-/262830922805?nav=SEARCH

I'm pretty sure the outlet flange is a smaller diameter than the inlet, so you'd want to make sure that flange is compatible with the inlet side, otherwise you might need to weld a second larger flange to step up the diameter. (See picture 4 in post #66 above. I welded two vband flanges together to go from 1.5" tube up to the inlet diameter.

As far as OD of the tube, you'd need 1.5" to match the OD of the noisemaker port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

AJP turbo

Quote from: Linemonkey on February 25, 2017, 10:09:06 AM

I think, but you will need to take one of the Vbands that come with the tial wastegate and weld it to the the Vband on the dumptube you buy. The vband on the dump tube you buy is meant to go on the outlet of the wastegate.....The way I did mine, I connected the dumptube to from the noisemaker hole to the INLET of the wastegate and the Vband on the tial is smaller if I remember.

So essentially you weld one of the tial vbands to the vband of the dumptube so you can use the clamp to connect the dumptube to the inlet of the tial gate then I just used rad hose to connect the dumptube to the noisemaker hole.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Linemonkey

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

derfdog15

The sizing on the MV-S is 1.75" for the OD for the VBand side that you need.

I detailed all of my parts used, for my setup, here: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7171.msg109449.html#msg109449
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Linemonkey

Quote from: derfdog15 on February 27, 2017, 10:12:12 AM

I detailed all of my parts used, for my setup, here: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7171.msg109449.html#msg109449
Thanks a lot. I don't know how I missed that

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

derfdog15

Quote from: Linemonkey on February 27, 2017, 10:31:01 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on February 27, 2017, 10:12:12 AM

Thanks a lot. I don't know how I missed that

No problem man, there are a plethora of threads on teh boost regulator mod, everyone does it a little different
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

lamrith

Quote from: BOT_ROCKET on November 06, 2016, 03:38:07 AM
Could I use these parts to craft this for my car since there are no other options available yet?

https://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Valve-Flange-Adapter-Type-S/dp/B00U4A3GGG/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1478420246&sr=8-21&keywords=bov+t+pipe

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-External-Exhaust-Manifold-Wastegate/dp/B00N1B62G6/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z8G2B2QHSSNKD6P4SSB0

I'd have to cut my intake hope to splice the t-pipe in, but it *shouls* work, shouldn't it? The 2.5" t-pipe is just for an example. I have to go measure the hose to make sure that's the right size.

I wouldn't use that wastegate on the turbo, but it should be fine in this application, right? Other than not being able to build boost, I can't imagine anything catastrophic happening even if the cheap WG fails. Also, since that WG only comes with 2 springs, can I use a boost controller to fine tune it?

Obviously this has to wait until SCT decides I'm allowed to get a tune...
BOT,
How did your install turn out?  I was looking at those exact parts myself.  I am keeping my eye open for WG options, and see a great many with that 2 bolt flange setup.  The trick I am having is finding an adjustable one that goes to the pressures we need.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

BOT_ROCKET

Quote from: lamrith on March 30, 2017, 04:59:39 PM
Quote from: BOT_ROCKET on November 06, 2016, 03:38:07 AM
Could I use these parts to craft this for my car since there are no other options available yet?

https://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Valve-Flange-Adapter-Type-S/dp/B00U4A3GGG/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1478420246&sr=8-21&keywords=bov+t+pipe

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-External-Exhaust-Manifold-Wastegate/dp/B00N1B62G6/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z8G2B2QHSSNKD6P4SSB0

I'd have to cut my intake hope to splice the t-pipe in, but it *shouls* work, shouldn't it? The 2.5" t-pipe is just for an example. I have to go measure the hose to make sure that's the right size.

I wouldn't use that wastegate on the turbo, but it should be fine in this application, right? Other than not being able to build boost, I can't imagine anything catastrophic happening even if the cheap WG fails. Also, since that WG only comes with 2 springs, can I use a boost controller to fine tune it?

Obviously this has to wait until SCT decides I'm allowed to get a tune...
BOT,
How did your install turn out?  I was looking at those exact parts myself.  I am keeping my eye open for WG options, and see a great many with that 2 bolt flange setup.  The trick I am having is finding an adjustable one that goes to the pressures we need.

I ended up snagging SteelBlu's old tial, but I'm not going to install until: A) AJP gets the tuning kinks worked out for my car, and B) I get the full intake built and tuned.
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH

Macgyver

Forgive me for not knowing as I am new to the SHO scene. Coming from a Nissan Juke Nismo RS. This is a whole different beast.

Question. Can you use a MBC with this motor?

If so and you want to stop Boost spiking. We solved this with a MBC. Last year while Dynoing. My Boost solenoid failed completely. During a pull mind you. Lets just say my tuner caught the over boost in time. 26psi(and it was still climbing) when he shut her down. So. We sourced another Solenoid at the Nissan dealer($60) and to prevent this from happening again. He plumbed a MBC in the boost circuit to act as a relief valve. The solenoid still controls the boost but the MBC is adjusted so it cannot go over a certain adjusted PSI. Set the Boost to 20psi and MBC to just a little over that and no more boost spikes. It works awesome.

I dont know if this idea can be used in this situation since there are two turbos etc. Its above my understanding of this engine at this point.

Vortech347

Dumb question after reading through this.  I understand how it makes fuel and boost control better but does it make an actual difference in ET/HP?
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Vortech347 on May 09, 2017, 02:07:58 AM
Dumb question after reading through this.  I understand how it makes fuel and boost control better but does it make an actual difference in ET/HP?
Nope, just controls nasty boost spikes which helps with pressure drops on the rail.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 09, 2017, 03:59:01 PM
Quote from: Vortech347 on May 09, 2017, 02:07:58 AM
Nope, just controls nasty boost spikes which helps with pressure drops on the rail.

I would venture to say if anything, it might lower peak hp/tq since your not dealing with those big spikes anymore... but it would create a smoother torque/HP curve....

There are a couple dynos with and without it...

AJP turbo

I wouldnt be surprised if it helped power a bit...everything is more efficient if the throttle is open
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 09, 2017, 04:41:21 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if it helped power a bit...everything is more efficient if the throttle is open

Yup, smoother power band... less peaks and valleys on a dyno sheet...

Open throttle vs throttle controlled load has been proven to increase power on the Ford Focus.