• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

tial wastegate for charge piping

Started by AJP turbo, July 30, 2016, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on October 01, 2016, 02:26:44 PM
Well worth it considering it costs same or less than a CAI!
Yea. Bradley was originally using the throttle blade to control the boost spikes.. same tune but with this WG mod to control the spikes made a HUGE difference... Night and day... If it was between a CAI/Exhaust or this mod... I would take this mod..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SHOurpp

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 30, 2016, 09:33:23 PM
Quote from: SHOurpp on September 30, 2016, 05:07:26 PM
this is a great idea ajp!
i have an atr bov im going to modify for this
didnt even know i could use it!

I don't know if you can...Nobody has done it....Me thinks it's not the best way...I'm not sure why you would want to....It's completely backwards to try and adapt a device that's meant to hold boost under load and bleed pressure under vacuum.

A wastegate is meant to bleed boost or pressure under load
i reread it -i get it-in addition to the factory gate
duel 3 inch cat less down pipes
sct x4- as a scanner/logger only
3 bar map
hp tuners
both bovs vta

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: StealBlueSho on October 01, 2016, 02:45:29 PM
Yea. Bradley was originally using the throttle blade to control the boost spikes.. same tune but with this WG mod to control the spikes made a HUGE difference... Night and day... If it was between a CAI/Exhaust or this mod... I would take this mod..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using
^good to hear some feedback from someone who's performed the mod and felt the improvement. this will definitely be in the future plans for me, just can't swing the cash right now. however. . a sub $300 mod that helps control boost spike and provides ANY performance improvement is a damn good value IMO. 😉 😉 vendors!!
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 8nutz8 on October 01, 2016, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on October 01, 2016, 02:45:29 PM

Sent from my Nexus 6P using
^good to hear some feedback from someone who's performed the mod and felt the improvement. this will definitely be in the future plans for me, just can't swing the cash right now. however. . a sub $300 mod that helps control boost spike and provides ANY performance improvement is a damn good value IMO. 😉 😉 vendors!!
I would highly recommend talking to AJPTurbo about having him tune you for this mod if he is taking customer's right now. There are some tuning adjustments that need to be addressed. He goes into some of it in the beginning of this thread.

It really helps because with this mod and AJPTurbos tune the boost is almost a flat line across... So there are no wild dips or jumps in boost so it just pulls through all the gears. And since you don't fight the big boost spikes at shifts your fuel pressure stays nice and strong.

Oh...and you get a really cool blow off valve sound when you step on it... And then if you are VTA those woosh too when you let off.. I have gotten some weird looks from the Subaru guys when they catch up at the next light...

Colorado-SHOBro

QuoteI have gotten some weird looks from the Subaru guys when they catch up at the next light...
hahaha that's golden! and yes adjustments will be made with the tune when I do it
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

2013blksho

So if I understand correctly you can't use the waste gate with out blow off valves because if the throttle closes before you have enough enough boost to open the waste gate it will trap the boost. 

AJP turbo

Quote from: 2013blksho on October 04, 2016, 01:54:19 PM
So if I understand correctly you can't use the waste gate with out blow off valves because if the throttle closes before you have enough enough boost to open the waste gate it will trap the boost.

Why would you not have blow off valves?.....this is a simple device added to the charge piping to allow the system to bleed off excess boost at wot only....has nothing to do with part throttle and lift off conditions....car operates as it should except will it makes it so the ecu doesnt use throttle blade to regulate boost
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FistyMcgee

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on July 31, 2016, 05:42:01 PM
I could build a mount into my hot pipes as an option :)

Any movement on this option? I am getting ready to replace my plastic with aluminum pipes, painted to look nice under the hood.  I would like to get on board with this waste gate setup.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: FistyMcgee on October 04, 2016, 05:48:45 PM

Any movement on this option? I am getting ready to replace my plastic with aluminum pipes, painted to look nice under the hood.  I would like to get on board with this waste gate setup.
None, you'd have to order them uncoated and then have someone weld a tube so you can do what AJP did with a rubber hose.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

derfdog15

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on October 04, 2016, 06:21:47 PM
Quote from: FistyMcgee on October 04, 2016, 05:48:45 PM

None, you'd have to order them uncoated and then have someone weld a tube so you can do what AJP did with a rubber hose.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the issue was getting a prototype done, but...  wouldn't you just need aluminum pipe of the same ID as the wastegate Vband flange ID, then weld that pipe to the "noisemaker eliminator pipe" on one end, and an aluminum vband flange on the other end(something like this? http://www.jegs.com/i/TiAL-Sport/768/004809/10002/-1)

Just curious because I want to do hotpipes down the road, and I know this wastegate mod is something I will want to do as well, since boost spikes are creating headaches for me.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

BOT_ROCKET

Could I use these parts to craft this for my car since there are no other options available yet?

https://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Valve-Flange-Adapter-Type-S/dp/B00U4A3GGG/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1478420246&sr=8-21&keywords=bov+t+pipe

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-External-Exhaust-Manifold-Wastegate/dp/B00N1B62G6/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z8G2B2QHSSNKD6P4SSB0

I'd have to cut my intake hope to splice the t-pipe in, but it *shouls* work, shouldn't it? The 2.5" t-pipe is just for an example. I have to go measure the hose to make sure that's the right size.

I wouldn't use that wastegate on the turbo, but it should be fine in this application, right? Other than not being able to build boost, I can't imagine anything catastrophic happening even if the cheap WG fails. Also, since that WG only comes with 2 springs, can I use a boost controller to fine tune it?

Obviously this has to wait until SCT decides I'm allowed to get a tune...
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH

MiWiAu

AJP, I have a Tial MV-S on order (and SHO intake tubing with the noisemaker junction) to plumb in to my XPL0DR for the 91 tune.

Just out of curiosity, do you recommend any sort of periodic maintenance for the Tial as far as lubrication and or spring changes? I presume in this low heat application, that it will have better longevity.

Since one side of the waste gate is open inside the engine compartment, would you advise some sort of filter to cover the outlet port and protect against contamination or is that overkill?

Documentation is lacking on the Tial website, so I figured I'd check with the "patent holder" of this boost regulator. :)
2013 XSport

AJP turbo

I think they are pretty robust...And since wastegates are typically used on the exhaust they are designed for hot temps....so it being on the charge piping and will only see temps of 150 or less and compared to 1000 degrees id expect it to last a lifetime

I expected to see some residue near the outlet but I didn't on mine...but it really isnt open that often...basically wot upshifts for a second or so
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

I have no residue on mine either... Very clean, looks as good as the day I bought it...

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 08, 2016, 05:13:50 PM

I expected to see some residue near the outlet but I didn't on mine...but it really isnt open that often...basically wot upshifts for a second or so

Quote from: StealBlueSho on November 08, 2016, 05:14:47 PM
I have no residue on mine either... Very clean, looks as good as the day I bought it...

Cool, thanks guys. One other quick installation question. I was looking at AJP's pictures at the beginning of the thread as well as the pics in StealBlueSho's FS thread, and I was trying to figure out if you guys actually secured the wastegate to anything.

It looks like it's just kind of laying on top of the A/C lines. On my Explorer, it appears that the A/C lines are fixed and the engine may have some movement relative to them, so I wasn't too keen on just letting it lay there in open space.

I was trying to find a way to locate the wg more securely, but plumbing looks like it might get complex.
2013 XSport