• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Fan running too high?

Started by FracaSHO, July 23, 2016, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FracaSHO

I have a 14 F150 EcoBoost FX4.  The fan kicks on perfectly normal.  But when it's really hot, 85 to 90 and humid, it gets really loud. And it only seems to go on in the sun, or when sitting idle for longer than a few minutes. Is this normal?  It almost seems like there's 2 fan speeds. Thanks.

Brad
Former SHO Owner
Ecobooster 4 Life
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

glock-coma

Most electric fans have several "stages" that they can go in to meet the demand to cool.
I've noticed the same thing lately when on max ac. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

The fan is actually 2 fans right?  Max a/c will turn on both of them.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FracaSHO

I believe I had max ac going while the fan hits high gear. Sound normal. It's just like jet engine loud. Thanks guys. 👍🏼

Brad
Former SHO Owner
Ecobooster 4 Life
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

ZSHO

The secondary fans can certainly get a bit TO loud (Warp Speed)...shutoff the a/c and in matter of seconds its back to normal nice and quiet.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Funnily enough the secondary fan is loud on the Fusion, whidper quiet on the Edge.  Go figure.  Maybe the SHO F150 fans are more powerful.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on July 23, 2016, 11:53:19 PM
Funnily enough the secondary fan is loud on the Fusion, whisper quiet on the Edge.  Go figure.  Maybe the SHO F150 fans are more powerful.
I will try to post a video for ya....sure go on quick at 100 deg,let me know.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

That'd be cool LOL.  Most of the sound I usually hear is when I change to or from the MAX A/C setting (the hiss).  I will have to check to make sure the secondary fan is working, the duty cycle says it is.

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on July 24, 2016, 07:35:39 AM
That'd be cool LOL.  Most of the sound I usually hear is when I change to or from the MAX A/C setting (the hiss).  I will have to check to make sure the secondary fan is working, the duty cycle says it is.
I always have the a/c set to LOW with NO max a/c set just normal a/c on with re-circulation mode to be the best effective setting with colder air.....new MC cabin filter and found the the a/c level to be roughly 42 degrees which is more than sufficient on a 100 degree day.....will post a video later with the secondary fans on (warp mode)for ya later.  Z

AJP turbo

There are fan speed tables for ac/coolant/and trans oil temp

Ac fan speed is based on ac head pressure vs ambient temps

Coolant temp fan speed is based on coolant temp vs ambient temps

Trans temp fans speed is based on trans oil temp vs ambient air temps

There is also a desired coolant temp setting that is independent of the other tables

The values in the tables for fan speed are a perfentage of max allowed fan speed which is 7000 for most strategies ive seen and i think its rpm

So for the table for coolant vs air temp is may read like this...at 190 coolant and 90 air temp fan is 50%

At 220 coolant and 90 air you get 100% fan speed

At 150 coolant and 110 air temp you get 0% fan speed because you dont need the fan yet

Strangely the old sho's and new are different
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

I finally had some free time today and made a brief video as mentioned above on how loud the secondary fans can get during a near 100 degree day and this was roughly 10 min right after driving it and first you will hear the normal fans followed by the secondary fan's kick in after the one minute marker,hope this helps someone.  Z    :) [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-26RIe1xNs&feature=youtu.be#]! No longer available]! No longer available

L1gerZero

See mines always running full tilt like the second half of that video
2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0 AWD

SHOdded

Boy thats loud!  Like you revved up for an emissions test or something