• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cleaning out Intake Manifold?

Started by peppelepugh, June 28, 2016, 06:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peppelepugh

I posted a few pics 2 or so weeks back regarding some wonderful buildup on my valves and intake manifold.  I'm curious, other than Meth... what's a good method to clean this out other than spraying chemicals in there?  I'm not opposed, but I would like a treatment that is done 1-3 times and its good to go... but I don't want it to break the bank.  I saw a lot about how BMW people get walnut blasting services done.  Personally, I would have no problem taking off the intake manifold to walnut blast it one day on my own time. 

Pics for reference
They didn't come out as CLEAR as I hoped....

2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

FoMoCoSHO

See if ford will buy you a new head. When they say no, ask them how to clean it. When they answer, show them the part of the manual where they dont suggest chemicals beyond what's in the manual. They've boxed themselves in on this issue. They've admitted There is no way to clean them besides blasting with media without risking damage to the turbos. This is the reason they went to dual fuel. Since walnut blasting isnt in the workshop manual it is not recommended by Ford. They effed up big time on this and I would be shocked if there isn't a class action lawsuit before its all over. Lots of aging Ecoboosts on the road now. Use their words and policies against them. I'm a Ford guy but BS is BS.

SHOdded

FoMoCo, are you still running ACES?  Can you borescope the valves and see what's going on, if that's helping at all?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Currently I have other testing going on so no.

The first inadvertant test was the crappiest fuel combo possible, speedway 93 with speedway E85.

I can say my knock sensor prefers Shell with its corn, lol.

Right now I have plenty of fuel and octane so I haven't gotten around to adding ACES back in.

The Mrs is gonna see if anyone has a scope with a camera on it if so I will have them take a peek next week.

SHOdded

Sweet!  Hate when life gets in the way of all this exciting stuff tho LOL!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

peppelepugh

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 28, 2016, 06:52:27 PM
See if ford will buy you a new head. When they say no, ask them how to clean it. When they answer, show them the part of the manual where they dont suggest chemicals beyond what's in the manual. They've boxed themselves in on this issue. They've admitted There is no way to clean them besides blasting with media without risking damage to the turbos. This is the reason they went to dual fuel. Since walnut blasting isnt in the workshop manual it is not recommended by Ford. They effed up big time on this and I would be shocked if there isn't a class action lawsuit before its all over. Lots of aging Ecoboosts on the road now. Use their words and policies against them. I'm a Ford guy but BS is BS.

Thanks so much for this tid-bit! I'll have to get all my research together and take it into the shop! 

PS, file you attached... doesn't have anything to it.
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

FoMoCoSHO