• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil Life Monitor, IOLM, and UOA

Started by Auggie, June 30, 2016, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Don't know any more than what Bruce already stated, the FSMs provide no insight.  Maybe there WAS a change between 2010-12 and 2013+, but most reports have it that IOLM is not really so Intelligent. 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

2010 was the last of the dumb oil life monitors that just monitor mileage.  2011 and newer have the intelligent ones that monitor several factors.  I can't provide written proof but I got this info from a Ford insider on a well-known Ford forum and the manual supports that.

Speaking of fuel, I was in San Francisco area last week and it was nearly $4 per gallon!  Had a Fusion rental that was a real dog but it got good mileage.

SHOdded

Ford's claim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs5HusCGBAo

The website seems to agree with the manual:
http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/dashboard-instrument-cluster/intelligent-oil-life-monitor.html

The Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system analyzes your vehicle's data to determine the recommended time to change your oil. This video shows how the system works.

NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM) that determines when you should change your engine oil based on how your vehicle is used. By considering several important factors in its calculations, the IOLM helps ensure that your engine can perform at its best while also helping you avoid unnecessary oil changes.

With the help of the IOLM, you don't have to remember to change your oil on a preset mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle will let you know when it's time for an oil change by displaying a message in the information display.

The following table provides examples of vehicle use and how each scenario can affect oil change intervals. In practice, actual oil change intervals will depend on several different factors, but severe usage will generally require more frequent changes. Also, if it's been more than a year since your last oil change, the IOLM will display a reminder message regardless of your mileage.

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message

Vehicle use         Interval

Normal
•Normal commuting with highway driving
•No loading or towing, or moderate loads and towing
•Flat to moderately hilly roads
•No extended idling
                               7,500-10,000 miles (12,000-16,000 km)
Severe
•Extended hot or cold operation
•Moderate to heavy loads and towing
•Mountainous or off-road conditions
•Extended idling
                              5,000-7,499 miles (8,000-11,999 km)
Extreme
•Extreme hot or cold operation
•Maximum loads and towing
                              3,000-4,999 miles (4,800-7,999 km)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

At the same time they introduced the intelligent oil life monitor, they switched their viscosity recommendation from 5w20 to 5w30.   I was told that the potentially longer drain intervals was the reason for the change in oil weight recommendation.

I still follow the "severe" or "extreme" recommendation and use full synthetic.  I suspect most enthusiasts who are fussy about their cars do the same.

ZSHO

The oil life monitor only calculates the amount of mileage since your last oil change....plain and simple....it does not suffice Idling or Severe conditions which at the end of the day its just a plain ole Odometer at its very best and dont forget to reset it at every oil change,lol..  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Brucelinc

The sun comes up in the west and sets in the east and you will never convince me of anything different.  :)

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Auggie

I am not and the key words from the Owners Manuel and videos is "Several Factors" are monitored and I have been told that several is more then two. I am with Bruce all the way.

Auggie

Brucelinc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwidtsOW99nNAhWxpYMKHTYWBzMQFghMMAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lombardfordwarrantys.com%2Fresources%2Fpdf%2FIntelligent-Oil-Life-Reference-Guide.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFcXrNED_LLxm9shw4gCxti-92UQQ&bvm=bv.126130881,d.amc

It should be noted that the oil life monitor does NOT analyze the oil.  It does NOT know if you have Amsoil, Pennzoil or Tom Cat Urine in the crankcase.  It does calculate the interval based on driving habits, idle time and temperature.

This applies to most 2011 and newer models.   My 2010 has the old "mileage only" monitor so I base changes on the severe driving schedule since I track the car and am not bashful about using the turbos.   My 2014 has the intelligent monitor but I typically change the oil in it twice a year whether it "needs" it or not.

Auggie

Yup, I think the key words here are "Engine Operating Conditions and Driving Habits" which is a multitude of calculations performed by the IOLM software. I am going to depend on this system for my oil changes and I have learned something here and I hope others have too. Thanks Bruce.

Auggie

sholxgt

I would recommend keeping in mind that the IOLM has no idea what quality of oil is used or what the condition is of the oil at any given time.  It is not performing any kind of oil analysis.

Since Ford recommends and uses Motorcraft semi-synthetic, I would bet that the IOLM is set up with that oil in mind.  If running a lower grade oil, I would plan on much more frequent changes.

As for me, oil is cheaper than ANY repair expense and good/fresh oil can slightly improve fuel economy and performance.  I will stick with 5,000 mile oil changes and use full synthetic.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

I have spoken to many from Ford in the past regarding the oil life monitor and its purely NOT credible and the same goes for the the PTU Fluid....to sum it all up change your oil more often because ultimately that dirty oil will cause the VCT cam phasers (total four)to have a slight delay in response to the PCM Command causing DTC'S and a host of other  issues's  to arise in the very near future and also on a hunch Ford has lately become cheap especially with any ESP approvals.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Any updates, Auggie?  Still using conventional oil?  What are your OCIs?  Any analysis done on the used oil?  TIA.

Auggie

Yup still using the 5W30 conventional Pennzoil but I haven't had the analysis test done because I feel that it is not necessary. Engine is running sweet and I am getting over 20 mpg and the dip stick say's I am not using any oil. I am using 91/93 fuel though. On my 1984 Z28 with a 355 on the juice with 65000 miles on the engine(which I built myself) I only use conventional 30W Pennzoil at 6000 rpm with many NOS shots. Its kinda addictive you know. Can't keep my finger off of the button. :) :) I also have a 2012 Dodge 5.7 Hemi that I use conventional 5W30 Pennzoil in the engine with the MDS and have had no problems. Just had the wheels painted.

Auggie

AJP turbo

I guess synthetic oils are in fact overrated and completely unnecessary after all ...it's a shame people are over paying and drinking the kool aid
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress