• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil Life Monitor, IOLM, and UOA

Started by Auggie, June 30, 2016, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auggie

No UOA yet and OD has 4100 miles since the oil change and monitor sits at 46% and Bruce I will check out the BP stations for 93. Thanks guy's!

Auggie

pmezo33

Quote from: Auggie on June 30, 2016, 10:55:10 PM
No UOA yet and OD has 4100 miles since the oil change and monitor sits at 46% and Bruce I will check out the BP stations for 93. Thanks guy's!

Auggie

That's because it monitors time and distance, not the actual health of the oil.  The kind of oil doesn't affect anything.  At 100%, it's set for 7,500 and/or 12 months.  As you drive and time goes by, that % goes down.

Auggie

When I worked for BMW of NA their cars oil monitoring system checked: Engine starts, coolant temp, engine rpm, engine running time and distance traveled and I thought Ford was pretty much the same ??

Auggie

pmezo33

Quote from: Auggie on July 01, 2016, 12:10:09 PM
When I worked for BMW of NA their cars oil monitoring system checked: Engine starts, coolant temp, engine rpm, engine running time and distance traveled and I thought Ford was pretty much the same ??

Auggie

This is from my MKS owner's manual.  I'd have to assume it's the same with the SHO.  Just time and distance traveled.

OIL LIFE
This displays the remaining oil life.
An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center and
according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
(approximately 7,500 miles [12,000 km] or 12 months) perform the
following:
1. Press and release SETUP to display "OIL LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET =
NEW".
2. Press and hold RESET for two seconds and release to reset the oil life
to 100%.
Note: To change oil life 100% miles value from 7,500 miles (12,000 km)
or 12 months to another value, proceed to Step 3.
3. Once "OIL LIFE SET TO XXX%" is displayed, release and press
RESET to change the Oil Life Start Value. Each release and press will
reduce the value by 10%.
Note: Oil life start value of 100% equals 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or
12 months
. For example, setting oil life start value to 60% sets the oil
life start value to 4,500 miles (7,200 km) and 219 days.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Auggie on June 30, 2016, 07:30:34 PM

P.S. Engine still running strong on conv. oil :)

How does one measure what running strong is? Might feel strong to you but without UOA your statement really doesn't carry much weight. I remember you dismissing the benefits of synthetic oil....There generally won't be benefits you can feel or gauge with your senses by running synthetic oil but that doesn't mean it's not better
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Auggie

OK, good info Pmezo and your right AJ and I should have that done but I won't because I have complete confidence in the Pennzoil I use.

Brucelinc

The 2010 oil life monitor did only base changes on time and mileage.  From 2011 on, however, it did use more sophisticated logic like number of starts, temps, etc.  The max was 10,000 miles.  That is also when they switched recommended oil weight from 5w20 to 5w30.

sholxgt

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 01, 2016, 02:27:01 PM
The 2010 oil life monitor did only base changes on time and mileage.  From 2011 on, however, it did use more sophisticated logic like number of starts, temps, etc.  The max was 10,000 miles.  That is also when they switched recommended oil weight from 5w20 to 5w30.

Are you certain?  My car still asks me to just set the mileage interval desired (5,000, 7500, or 10,000) and then starts counting down.  Will it override the setting chosen?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

sholxgt

Quote from: Auggie on July 01, 2016, 12:41:14 PM
OK, good info Pmezo and your right AJ and I should have that done but I won't because I have complete confidence in the Pennzoil I use.

You should research coking so you know how well conventional oil holds up in turbo cars.  I would NEVER even think of running conventional oil in a car that even ships from the manufacture with semi-synthetic and requires it according to the manufacturer's specifications listed in the owners manual.  Unless you're in Canada...LOL. I guess they either figure it's cold enough there or that Canadians are too cheap.  Not sure which.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Auggie

Yah, I already went through this on this form and my 2015 Owners Manual say's that : Full Synthetic or Simi-Synthetic oils are NOT mandatory. Just saying :)

Auggie

Brucelinc

Quote from: sholxgt on July 01, 2016, 03:36:35 PM
Quote from: Brucelinc on July 01, 2016, 02:27:01 PM

Are you certain?  My car still asks me to just set the mileage interval desired (5,000, 7500, or 10,000) and then starts counting down.  Will it override the setting chosen?

Here is from the 2013 MKS manual:

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor that
determines when the engine oil should be changed based on how your
vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the
monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce
environmental waste at the same time. This means you won't have to
remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets
you know when an oil change is due by displaying ENGINE OIL
CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the message center. The
following table is intended to provide examples of vehicle use and its
impact on engine oil change intervals; it is provided as a guideline only.
Actual engine oil change intervals will depend on several factors and will
generally decrease with severity of use.
When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message
Miles (km) Vehicle use and examples
7500-10000
(12000-16000)
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling
5000-7499
(8000-11999)
Severe
– Moderate to heavy load/towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation
3000-4999
(4000-7999)
Extreme
– Maximum load/towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation

ZSHO

Lets stick to the TOPIC on hand which relates to FUEL.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Brucelinc

Sorry...seemed like it picked up oil along the way.   :)

ZSHO

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 01, 2016, 04:59:20 PM
Sorry...seemed like it picked up oil along the way.   :)
No worries Bruce its all good.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Auggie

Bruce, I reread your post #13 on the Ford Oil Monitoring System and I think you and I are right that the system monitors "SEVERAL important factors in its calculations" and not just time and mileage. SHOdded do you have any idea what this system monitors or maybe you could find out ?

Auggie