• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbosmart wastegate review

Started by TimmyATL, June 27, 2016, 10:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimmyATL

So I decided to some research and educate my self on IWG. After doing so I pulled the trigger on the Turbosmart IWG for the SHO. From what I understand the stock IWG actuators are 4lb springs and have a good amount of preload set from the factory. The new ones are 7lb springs and they have you do a 2mm preload. So on to the install. It took me about 5hrs to install but I also did a oil change and PTU fluid change while I was at it and had to let the car cool off. Since I also work on these cars for a living I was on a lift which made it easier. I only removed the air box, right front wheel, and set the front turbo heat shield out of the way. Each step had its own challenges to overcome from removal of the stock IWG actuators to the install of the new ones. Now on to the results. I only looked at max boost a couple of times on WOT. They were about the same from stock to the Turbosmart which is what I figured because once the IWG open the boost is what it is. But where I saw the most increase was in part throttle driving. When tipping into the throttle as boost increases and the PCM demands the IWG solenoid to open the IWG at lets say 4psi you still have the mechanical advantage of the heavier spring so it wont open until 7psi. This means during normal driving the Turbos spooled up faster which in my opinion gives more usual power during driving. I know this because my Meth sprays at about 7psi and I could hear the box clicking and my indicator light coming on a lot more turning on the pump to spray. I will not know until fall if this helps out my track time but for now I say it has improved/made normal driving more fun.
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

AJP turbo

You are lucky that the new wastegate didnt change things enough to throw an overboost code. The tune has tables defining what pedal position will deliver how much torque and how much Wastegate duty cycle is required based on desired exhaust flow through the turbine

If your TIP or delivered torque were more than expected and exceeded the thresholds dtc's could result...im goad your money wasnt  wasted and that didnt happen

I would discourage this mod...hard parts almost always require tune changes in late model cars
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

slurppie

A little off topic but are you a tech at a local ATL dealership?

sent from my speak n' spell using tin cans and string

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 27, 2016, 10:29:32 AM
I would discourage this mod...hard parts almost always require tune changes in late model cars

How about this mod is fine provided you work with your tuner for a tune update if required.
:)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

TimmyATL

I will drive it more this week and keep a eye on boost levels but as of right now my tune is fine with it. Just using more Methanol since it comes up on boost quicker with a decent part throttle acceleration.  I think if it has a 10psi spring in it might throw a overboost code.  Most of the research I have done it seems that they go 3psi over stock on the springs. Also I wanted this modification to have a better/ flatter boost curve so when it is dyno tuned it can be more consistent for the tuner. Just my .02
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

sholxgt

Interesting mod!

Did you use part number TS-0622-1072 or something else?  I don't see an SHO specific IWG on their Site.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: sholxgt on June 27, 2016, 03:57:22 PM
Interesting mod!

Did you use part number TS-0622-1072 or something else?  I don't see an SHO specific IWG on their Site.
It's on my site :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts