• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water spray for intercooler?

Started by tgambob, May 05, 2016, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

tgambob

Most rally cars and a couple of tuned up mercs I know use this method of water spray cooling. If Subaru and the rest deem it important enough to include on a actual rally car there must be merit to it.   There is a co2 system called cryo2
2010 non pp. Air raid, sct itsx, unleashed 93 boost, 3 bar, ngk

avidmotion

Yes only kit I saw was a DEI for 75 bucks. Friend of friend had a paintball Co2 tank upside down and shot onto his intercooler, shot ice cold Co2 with 6 nosels in a ring. Said it could drop temps in 30 seconds 40 degrees lower. Is that alot? Said can fill the tank every Wednesday at his paintball store. It was free Wednesday co2 other it cheap anyways, he had 4 spare tanks so not sure how much it used etc. I might do a kit. 70 bucks in a kit probably actually only cost kit maker 20 but I like convenience kit style no hassle. Another guy said he mixes/uses windshield wiper fluid because it has alcohol and helps cool better, yes it was on the outside.... surprised not many others mention doing this. Seems common on other forums in WRX community. Also mentioned high speed 7 inch radiator fans?
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SHOdded

Any idea what the cost/benefit ratios are for these approaches?  I can see justification for track/dragstrip, can you extend the logic to daily driving or would you even want to?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Scott4957

Quote from: SHOdded on June 24, 2016, 07:50:39 AM
Any idea what the cost/benefit ratios are for these approaches?  I can see justification for track/dragstrip, can you extend the logic to daily driving or would you even want to?
Maybe boost controlled with CO2 in hot climates?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

makoskey

There is no benefit for running this on a daily driver except to made puddles under your car at stoplights.
2013 SHO
Livernois DPs, 91 octane V8 tune 160tstat
Magnaflow CB

SHOFan808

When I used to have my Evo X and frequent the Evo Forums, there was talk of a water mist spray for the intercooler, which came stock on the Japan and European models, but not the ones sold in the US.  With a water spray for the intercooler, what you're basically doing is increasing the efficiency of the intercooler for a short period of time as the water evaporates off of the cooling fins.  It's usually set to spray at higher RPM and boost, or there's a button where it could be done manually.  It's the next best thing to having a bigger intercooler, unless you're running turbos so big that the stock size intercooler starts to restrict the volume of air being pushed into the engine.  However, you probably won't notice a huge difference with the water mist spray unless you're doing a lot of fast driving where the engine is constantly on boost for long periods of time.  Even then, you won't feel an increase in power.  Instead, your intercooler efficiency won't decrease as much as it would without the spray while doing all that high speed driving.

On the street, maybe only an EcoBoost PI doing high speed pursuits in the city will see any benefit to this, unless you're driving your EcoBoost cars like you're in a long pursuit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FoMoCoSHO

You can't run it at the track, water leaking from your car is a no go.

I was black flagged once due to heavy condensation off the tailpipes after being accused of running my AC.

glock-coma

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 24, 2016, 02:52:07 PM
You can't run it at the track, water leaking from your car is a no go.

I was black flagged once due to heavy condensation off the tailpipes after being accused of running my AC.
That's when the ac seats come in handy.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)