• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS Stage 4+ questions

Started by SoCalSHO, July 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeB

I don't know much about the tuners, but from an advertising standpoint it seems very unlikely that you would gain 40hp by choosing the MyCal. From what I remember (haven't checked the livernois site for a while), the pages of the different tuners didn't mention anything at all about more hp from one to the other. If you could gain 40 hp (or hell even 15-20) for only an extra $100, don't you think livernois would be smart enough to at least mention it somewhere? People would jump on that deal. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is planning on spending $100 less on the SCT because all I want it for is the hp (not all the extra gadgets & gauges on the MyCal).

With that being said, Livernois needs to clarify the difference on their website. Imagine the headaches that would save!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mjhpadi

I would think that with all the extra perimeters that can be programmed with the MyCal, you may be able to increase horsepower...I just don't have an idea of how much, also I purchased the SCT back in 2011, so the upgrade would be pretty cool since the MyCal wasn't available then.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

I really don't have any reason to believe that there are any noticeable performance gains using the MyCal for a 10-12.  Stage 4/93 is a most satisfactory tune.  They might have squeezed out another tenth or two in the 1/4 with the added access to tables but I don't think it would make much difference on the street.  Like was said, who wouldn't go for an extra 40HP for only $100.  Doesn't make sense.  Just an opinion. 

Larrylu

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 17, 2013, 09:05:52 AM
Wow, just when I think I have the stages for the 2010-2012s figured out, I get more information that makes me go "huh?" 

I thought the original stage 4 had NO torque management.  When 4+ was introduced, some torque management was added but also it carried the increased boost all the way to the shift points.  The result was a tune that provided quicker times than the old stage 4 but also smoother daily driving characteristics.  My understanding from Rick was that 4+ replaced stage 4 so they  just dropped the "+" and referred to it as stage 4.  That is the tune that I run using the SCT and 93 octane or higher is required.  The difference between that and stage 3 is substantial on my car - much nicer shifts and a helluva lot stronger performance.

My understanding was that Stage 2 and 3 (I was told they were 91 octane tunes) were identical with one exception. Stage 2 had reduced torque management and Stage 3 had no torque management. I think Stage 2 was the only stage that had removed all torque management. In Stage 4+ ( I was told was a 94 octane but many were using 93 with no ill effect)  LMS went back to reduced torque management. Since my SHO is a 2010, I don't know about the differences in the labels and specs for the 2013 which I gather is a different animal. Now if the tune files are also different for different tuners (SCT and MYCAL), then it's starting to get a bit complicated.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SoCalSHO

Well, I think in my case running stage 3, going to the new (to me) stage 4 (4+?) adding an avg of 40+ hp, it would be worth the $. Email has been sent to purchase, hopefully I can get it by the weekend.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

SoCalSHO

Now to find a 1/4 mile track. The 1/8 miler at Irwindale is not worth it.
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

Brucelinc

Quote from: SoCalSHO on July 17, 2013, 11:22:25 AM
Well, I think in my case running stage 3, going to the new (to me) stage 4 (4+?) adding an avg of 40+ hp, it would be worth the $. Email has been sent to purchase, hopefully I can get it by the weekend.

I agree - going from stage 3 to stage 4, even if it has been modified to run 91 octane, should be a very good upgrade for you and well worth it. 

By the way, Larry's comments above are exactly what I was told - the only difference between stage 2 and 3 was that 3 had no torque management.  I was sent 2 versions of both stage 2 and 3, however - a 91 and a 93 octane version of each.  Rick told me that the difference was 2 degrees additional timing advance on the 93 version.

FLIP-4-SHO

You lucky guy...

While out & about in meh SHO!

2011 Taurus SHO - 402A, PP pkg's - Multi-Contour Seats, Eibach Springs, AiRaid Intake, Custom Exhaust, TWIN TURBO & SHO Hood stripes, 2013 Fender vents, Tinted Glass... Michelin Pilot Super Sports 255/45-20 on stk PP rims

On Deck in order: Wheels, Big Brake kit, Grill & door handle paint, LED lights everywhere. Last but not least... A Tune

crash712us

My understanding if I remember both the MyCal and SCT +4 tunes where the same, its the Meth tunes is where they differ. But thats nearly 2 yrs ago when I upgraded to the MyCal so a lot could have changed since then.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SoCalSHO

Quote from: FLIP-4-SHO on July 17, 2013, 12:37:47 PM

You lucky guy...

While out & about in meh SHO!

I would let you drive it this weekend. But, Check your pm
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

Kolk1

When I got my SCT 93oct tune before Rick left, I said I wanted 4+ but the file was labeled 4. I asked him about it, and he said the old 4 is no longer used, and the old 4+ is now the normal 4.

Larrylu

Quote from: Kolk1 on July 17, 2013, 08:40:33 PM
When I got my SCT 93oct tune before Rick left, I said I wanted 4+ but the file was labeled 4. I asked him about it, and he said the old 4 is no longer used, and the old 4+ is now the normal 4.

I got that from Rick also.

I'm thinking I'd love for LMS  put out a list of all the details and history of all the tunes and the variations. It's starting to get confusing and customers should be able to consult something official. If they won't, I suppose we can try to document details ourselves but seems like they are in the best position to provide a definitive reference bible.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

mjhpadi

I kinda doubt that any of the tuners want to tell anyone too much specific information on the tunes...it seems that it's a pretty competitive field and I would think the less the tuners tell about what that are doing, the less chance for the competition to learn and improve a competitive product...just my take on it. But I think that's why they don't want to be to specific on exactly what they are changing to improve the car.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

I sent Chris a link and request to lay it all out for us.  Hopefully, he will do that soon.  He's probably trying to figure it all out himself. ;D

Mark, I think you may have something there.  We don't need the specifics of the tune just a better idea of what they each do. 

SoCalSHO

And what each tuner will do for the car. IE Mycal stage 4 more power than SCT stage 4, or something to that effect. Not that the SCT is a slouch.  :beer:
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH