• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MKS sub with pictures

Started by Scott4957, June 12, 2016, 03:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott4957

Quote from: sholxgt on June 17, 2016, 04:21:09 PM
Another strange thought occurred to me...

I wonder if there's a way to disable the Active Noise Control?  Partially because I don't like the idea of the entire concept, but also because I'm wondering what happens if we change the speakers, tap certain lines, etc and leave it enabled. 

The brochure for the MKS says that the system will "channel acoustic adrenaline to you in the form of tuned engine bliss."

We don't have a sound symposium thing on the intake, so that leaves me guessing that it tries to make engine noises through the stereo?

Hmmm, not sure. I know BMW does that. I don't see how it will interfere with this type of setup. I found another MKS user on the board who used one of the 2 sub pairs and put them into his LC2i with no issues. He thinks the LPF is 100-120hz which is fine. This is where I will start and then test with an app to see when it starts passing to the sub. Listening to the THXII system without the sub for the last week has been interesting, you can really tell this is a well made system. I know some have said that past THXII systems have been better but this is by far the best factory system I have heard and I have no plans on messing with the rest of the system, just want some extra boom!
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

sholxgt

Unfortunately, I borrowed a 2008 Navigator from my wife's work for a few days and that was my first experience with the Lincoln THX.  It BLEW my mind!  I've had $4,000+ car stereos and it honestly would have competed with some of the best I have had.  I went to test drive the MKS with the memory of that THX system still in my head.

I came pretty close to buying the thing despite the anemic 5.4 just because the interior was so nice and the sound system was insanely good.

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Scott4957

Quote from: sholxgt on June 17, 2016, 04:44:03 PM
Unfortunately, I borrowed a 2008 Navigator from my wife's work for a few days and that was my first experience with the Lincoln THX.  It BLEW my mind!  I've had $4,000+ car stereos and it honestly would have competed with some of the best I have had.  I went to test drive the MKS with the memory of that THX system still in my head.

I came pretty close to buying the thing despite the anemic 5.4 just because the interior was so nice and the sound system was insanely good.
Do you have the surround sound turned off?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sholxgt

Quote from: Scott4957 on June 17, 2016, 07:26:23 PM
Quote from: sholxgt on June 17, 2016, 04:44:03 PM

Do you have the surround sound turned off?

Definitely!  Much better set on stereo to my ears.

I also have the treble actually below center.  Gets too bright for me.  Which does leave me thinking that it mostly needs low fill...lots of it.  I think you are on the right path.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Scott4957

Good god its finally done! Something to consider if going free air in the rear deck "MKS has the 10" hole" You WILL need to remove the sun shade, that thing rattles like F'in crazy, no fixing it. It sounds pretty good, still need to tune it. I will have to dynomat the back deck and I may add weight to it as well. I placed 2 10# plates on closed cell foam, on on each side of the sub and it helped some. I will likely dynomat it first then see if there is a need to add weight.

Whats the least expensive option for dampening material?

glock-coma

Quote from: Scott4957 on June 18, 2016, 06:07:35 PM
Good god its finally done! Something to consider if going free air in the rear deck "MKS has the 10" hole" You WILL need to remove the sun shade, that thing rattles like F'in crazy, no fixing it. It sounds pretty good, still need to tune it. I will have to dynomat the back deck and I may add weight to it as well. I placed 2 10# plates on closed cell foam, on on each side of the sub and it helped some. I will likely dynomat it first then see if there is a need to add weight.

Whats the least expensive option for dampening material?
Whatever you use just make sure it's buytl rubber based not asphalt.
If it comes in a roll it's asphalt based. It will literally melt on your rear deck and turn to liquid filling every crack and crevice with tar.

Also what you may be hearing is the rear deck cover vibrating, if you remove it to sound deaden I would use some sort of closed cell foam as decoupling from the deck to rear deck cover. I've used yoga mats for this purpose but you'll have to attach it somehow for full effectiveness.
If you have an Eastwood tool company near you you can save on shipping, that's what I used. For the price of dynamat there are other options.
http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/sound-deadening.html

Second skin is expensive but it's probably one of if not the best.
Plus a they sometimes have "B" stock that you can get cheaper.
http://store.secondskinaudio.com

Lots more info at
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Scott4957

Awesome, thank you! I left the rear deck off for now, all other pieces I reinstalled. So I guess that roll of window sealer is out, I figured it would smell so I didn't do it.

glock-coma

Yeah you dodged a bullet there.

sholxgt

Man I wish that I could hear the end result!

When I did my last car I used Dynamat Extreme bulk kits.  Buying them on eBay, Amazon, etc I saved quite a bit.  Good thing since I used a lot of it.  Did every inch of the interior, roof, inner and outer doors, etc.  I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives.

If you don't have a roller, I suggest picking one up.  They make it easier to get it completely down quickly.

BiGMaC

If you use dynamat complete coverage is not necessary. Cover the areas around the sub and immediately beneath it... The just try to apply strips evenly to cover 50-60% of the inside of the trunk. I recommend you consider downing the seat backs in the trunk to focus the sound into the cabin. Remember the weight you're adding and consider how products like dynamat work....mthey absorb vibration and radiate the energy as heat. I was never unhappy with it... Don't pay retail and use the extreme version as it is dormulated to stay adherent to the underside of horizontal surfaces such as the roof, hood, trunk lid, and rear deck.  Good advise on the material to stock the deck "carpet" from buzzing. Keep going until you are sure it is exactly the sound you want... Looks like a great start.
As far as the rear sun screen...  I have never used mine except to verify function when I took delivery... You won't miss it.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

sholxgt

I completely agree that complete coverage is not necessary in this application.  I was merely saying what I did when working with an import with a serious sound system.

In this application, I would only use the sound deadening/insulator to stop rattles and focus sound.

The front windows in my MKS are all marked "SoundScreen."  It is very quiet in the car.  Do the SHO's have "SoundScreen" glass?  Not sure if it makes much of a difference, but it sounds like a neat feature.

glock-coma

Yes the SHO's do have sound screen windshield and front doors glass

Ryan02Stang

How does it sound with the extra boom?!?
2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged

polo1

So how did this all turn out?

polo1

Here are the wiring schematics for the 2013+ MKS with THX II