• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 EB Flex Shudder/Shake

Started by FaSSt9602, June 03, 2016, 06:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Quote from: FaSSt9602 on August 08, 2016, 01:50:54 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on August 08, 2016, 01:01:21 PM
It looks like the Hose was Loose or possibly ripped. IMO   Z

What makes you say that?  I'm more concerned with what looks to be metal flakes in the charge piping on both sides of the IC...
The hose looked like it was seated (halfway)on IC and left a ring of oil.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Can't see the content, Fasst, no access on Google Drive ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FaSSt9602

Quote from: SHOdded on August 08, 2016, 02:41:23 PM
Can't see the content, Fasst, no access on Google Drive ...

Hmmm, they are in a shared album, and posted the way I always post pictures.  I can see them when not logged into my google account... ZSHO was apparently able to see them.
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FaSSt9602

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

glock-coma

Are the flakes in fact metal? Have you pulled any out and cleaned them off to confirm?  If the turbo compressor shaft bearing is bad it will "wobble" and contact the inside of the housing and cause those shavings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

FaSSt9602

Quote from: glock-coma on August 08, 2016, 04:38:53 PM
Are the flakes in fact metal? Have you pulled any out and cleaned them off to confirm?  If the turbo compressor shaft bearing is bad it will "wobble" and contact the inside of the housing and cause those shavings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not exactly, I noticed what looked like a flake in the cold side right at the TB.  When I tried to get the piece of "stuff" out, the piece dropped on the ground and I lost it.  Didn't really notice it on the hot side coming over the engine until I looked back at the pictures.  It looked shiny with the flashlight, it seemed solid when I pulled it out of the cold side, but I wasn't able to check it with a magnet to confirm.

Regardless, I'm thinking "stuff" shouldn't be on that side of the air filter/turbos...Thinking about picking up a cheap USB borescope to run down from the hot side pipe and see if the turbo looks to be hurt.

SHOdded

Second the borescope idea.  Good data to have for peace of mind if nothing else.

66 Galaxie

Quote from: FaSSt9602 on June 04, 2016, 12:42:50 PM
Evert I me it does it she is either coming to a stop or at a stop. It can happen after a long highway drive and stopping at an off ramp,  or just leaving the house and it did it at the end of our street.

Again, this is VERY sporadic.   It happens every couple months only.

And no misfires are being shown.
Based on these few things it could be a failing throttle body.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

TX MKS-T

Wow your issue sounds so close to what I have been going through. On Accel it will sometimes shudder and CEL flash than regains itself and all is normal. Nobody can find any stored codes either when attempting to retrieve them. This started after I cleaned the I/C and removed the charge pipe so not sure if I messed something up but not too many things you can damage imo.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6043.0.html
2010 MKS-T * K&N Drop In/Power Stop Rotors
2007 Tundra TRD 5.7 - The Toy Hauler
2014 Mitsu Outlander - Kid Hauler

93Cobra

Quote from: TX MKS-T on August 10, 2016, 12:26:49 PM
Wow your issue sounds so close to what I have been going through. On Accel it will sometimes shudder and CEL flash than regains itself and all is normal. Nobody can find any stored codes either when attempting to retrieve them. This started after I cleaned the I/C and removed the charge pipe so not sure if I messed something up but not too many things you can damage imo.

Yours sounds like condensate buildup and blown out spark causing misfires. I fixed mine by drilling the weep hole to evacuate the condensate and installing new SP534 plugs gapped to .030.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 93Cobra on August 10, 2016, 04:52:41 PM
Quote from: TX MKS-T on August 10, 2016, 12:26:49 PM

Yours sounds like condensate buildup and blown out spark causing misfires. I fixed mine by drilling the weep hole to evacuate the condensate and installing new SP534 plugs gapped to .030.
His problem started after he cleaned his intercooler and that is your advice?

Why don't you ever tell people that this will void their intercooler warranty?

Actually they may have problems getting lots of things covered if there is an issue and a sharp tech finds the leak. They won't touch it until the boost leak is removed.

FaSSt9602

So I haven't done anything to the car yet other than doing some data logging and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary.  In the last couple weeks I questioned my wife on her gas mileage (got a deer in the headlights look) and asked her to start logging her mileage between fill-ups.  I haven't had a chance to fill up again, but on this last tank, she has right at 200 miles and less than an 1/8 of a tank left.  Once I fill up, I'll know where it is, but it looks as though this tank might come in at about 13.3 mpg. 

So she is out of town this weekend so I figure it is the perfect time to tear into her car a bit and change plugs.  The current plugs have about 40k on them (non-tuned) and we replaced by the dealer when we were troubleshooting (what was found to be the cracked piston resulting in a new short block) and are the 534's.

When I pulled out the plugs first thing I found was front drivers side coil clip was broken.  It seats and stays in place, but the plastic retainer piece is gone (note I have yet to document a true misfire while diagnosing this issue, so I'm very hesitant to say this is causing any issues).  Guessing the dealer must have broke it at some point because up until this point, other than oil changes, no one else (including me) has been working on this part of the engine.

Coils looked good.  No oil on any of the coils.

Plugs came out good.  Looked pretty decent to me, but some of you guys are a little better at reading a DI plug.  All had gaps of about .031 (one I could squeeze .032), so I didn't have massive gaps that I was reluctantly hoping for so I could say with confidence that I found the root of my problem.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the plugs laid out according to how they were installed.  Top of picture is passenger side, right side is near firewall (sorry, don't know cylinder numbering on this engine).  What are your thoughts on the condition of the plugs?  Anyone think I found a cause of the random stumble and/or recent loss in fuel mileage?

Firewall side

Front side

Also, while I was in there I pulled the intake tube off near the TB and used the dipstick to see how much oil was in the IC.  This is with the car flat on all fours.  Guessing I need to do a little IC cleaning.

ZSHO

PIC'S ARE MIA!!! BTW you can always purchase the red clip for added security and for a peace of mind.  Z   15.04  http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,electrical-connector,ignition+coil+connector,2592?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2F   

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FaSSt9602

Pictures are loaded and show up in 3 different browsers...