• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign vs. Windstorm

Started by BoostedSHO, June 01, 2016, 11:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBOX

Quote from: BoostedSHO on June 01, 2016, 11:05:55 AM
Finally got my tuner and tunes from Livernois yesterday. I installed the 93 3-bar v10 tune. In the email from Anthony he mentioned "We have also found the cold air intake you have to lose some power when compared to our stage 1 package with the windstorm cold air." I'm using the updated MDesign CAI the "lined with 3M™ heat reflection lining on the interior of the carbon fiber heat shield to further prevent heatsoak and a newer, larger high-flow inner air filter for even more power." You guys think there is some truth behind what Anthony said? I'm thinking if there is some truth behind it, it is probably a negligible amount of power loss or might be referring to the older version of the MDesign with the smaller filter

Well I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that someone who wants to sell you something is badmouthing something he has for sale that you bought from another vendor.

Livernois Motorsports

I was not trying to badmouth anyone's products in any way, just simply answered his questions with facts.  Our customer had simply asked me for estimated power numbers his car should be making with the current mods and our tuning.  I told him what another SHO with a similar combination of mods and tuning would gain here on the dyno and that with the intake he was using it has proven to make less power on the dyno.  He asked for the facts and I gave him my personal opinion of estimated power gains using our combo. 

This was the correct thing to do in my opinion so that the customer was aware of the results we've documented in the past.  Many clients end up putting their vehicle's on the dyno to see how much power they make, and we always prefer to be honest with them about how there combos compare when asked. 

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

BoostedSHO

I just want to make it clear that in no way do I feel Livernois was badmouthing another product or trying to shame me into buying something from them. I simply asked a question and Anthony answered that question with that data that he had. Thanks again for all the help Anthony and the quick responses to the emails   
2013 SHO PP
LMS v10 93 3bar tune
MDesign CAI
NW Suburbs, IL

FoMoCoSHO

I'm going to agree with BoostedSHO.

Boosted SHO engaged LME on the topic.

Livernois is a for profit business so it's natural for Anthony to support the products/packages that they sell.

"We have also found the cold air intake you have to lose some power when compared to our stage 1 package with the windstorm cold air."

He put up a dyno slip that supports his contention, nothing disingenuous IMO.

f8tlSHO

Lol... That's all I am saying.....

Sent from my iPhone
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

AJP turbo

Windstorm is rebadged air raid right?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MDesign Performance

I could help clarify some of the misconceptions.

As Anthony said awhile, while back Livernois received a customer who had our first generation intake system (smaller filter, different filter design, no heat shielding) which they used to test against their intake on their dyno and then reported back that our intake lost horsepower.

From another unbiased, third-party testing done by a member of this forum who is located in a different state than us and used a dyno shop that we are disconnected from, we had seen gains going from an AirRaid/Windstorm to an MDesign first generation intake in horsepower and torque. These are our unbiased facts.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4034.0.html

Both of the testing above were done with our first generation intake systems, we have also had our first generation intake system tested at the track which fell within .01 second of the Windstorm and the OEM intake systems in the 1/4 mile.

For quite some time we have been receiving Livernois customers who have been told that our intake is inferior to the Windstorm/AirRaid though it is never mentioned that they are comparing to our first generation, discontinued model and we are on our fourth generation. It is also not mentioned that the Windstorm/AirRaid only won over the MDesign intake system on the Livernois dyno, in their own shop, while we have unbiased third-party data. This is why we only post data that we receive from clients who perform these dyno testing at unbiased and disconnected interest shops across the nation.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on June 04, 2016, 11:34:43 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on June 03, 2016, 07:00:21 PM
Correct
I did some pics peeping last night and it looks like the filter itself is different. 

I thought I read that the tube they use was a little different but I was unable to confirm via pics.

Specifically I compared Airaid/Roush/Windstorm.

CroR1

in my opinion, less space for air equals less power. it just seems that M has to work harder to get that air in the engine, because it is so small.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: CroR1 on June 04, 2016, 12:21:27 PM
in my opinion, less space for air equals less power. it just seems that M has to work harder to get that air in the engine, because it is so small.

The OEM intake filter element is significantly smaller than most aftermarket intake systems, also smaller in volume than our own filter. An oversized filter is not always best for power especially when prone to heat soak, this is why the OEM system is efficient with the flat panel filter.

Our system is a direct ram-air design also therefore the engine in fact breathes easier, especially in real world moving conditions verses on a dyno.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 04, 2016, 11:45:03 AM
Quote from: EcoPowerParts on June 04, 2016, 11:34:43 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on June 03, 2016, 07:00:21 PM
Correct
I did some pics peeping last night and it looks like the filter itself is different. 

I thought I read that the tube they use was a little different but I was unable to confirm via pics.

Specifically I compared Airaid/Roush/Windstorm.
I saw the boxes sitting at Airaid, a friend of mine for the past 20+ years used to own the company until he sold to K&N. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ElvenSho

Quote from: MDesign Performance on June 04, 2016, 04:15:20 AM
I could help clarify some of the misconceptions.

As Anthony said awhile, while back Livernois received a customer who had our first generation intake system (smaller filter, different filter design, no heat shielding) which they used to test against their intake on their dyno and then reported back that our intake lost horsepower.

From another unbiased, third-party testing done by a member of this forum who is located in a different state than us and used a dyno shop that we are disconnected from, we had seen gains going from an AirRaid/Windstorm to an MDesign first generation intake in horsepower and torque. These are our unbiased facts.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4034.0.html

Both of the testing above were done with our first generation intake systems, we have also had our first generation intake system tested at the track which fell within .01 second of the Windstorm and the OEM intake systems in the 1/4 mile.

For quite some time we have been receiving Livernois customers who have been told that our intake is inferior to the Windstorm/AirRaid though it is never mentioned that they are comparing to our first generation, discontinued model and we are on our fourth generation. It is also not mentioned that the Windstorm/AirRaid only won over the MDesign intake system on the Livernois dyno, in their own shop, while we have unbiased third-party data. This is why we only post data that we receive from clients who perform these dyno testing at unbiased and disconnected interest shops across the nation.
Can I get a link to your 4th gen intake? I might snatch one soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2011 Red Taurus SHO- H&R springs, plugs, t-stat, 3bar, LMS dps, tuned by Torrie

MDesign Performance